430 - Has anyone sold their 430 for a 458 and regretted it | FerrariChat

430 Has anyone sold their 430 for a 458 and regretted it

Discussion in '360/430' started by ICULUKN, May 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I have a 05 F430 that I have maintained for the past 3 years.. I love the car... Its perfect...
    It has headers, carbon brakes, flawless paint, and all maintenance is up to date.
    Now here is the issue..
    I am getting the itch to buy something else... I have about 100k to spend + the sale of my F430.

So.. I was thinking 458 italia spyder....
    But I also remember all the money I had to get my F430 to be perfect and don't want to get into that money trap again. I also do not want to regret selling my perfect F430 for a car that may need work or does not give me the satisfaction. Looking for real world experiences...

What say you?

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side of the fence. It has the same nutritional value though.

KC360 FL and tomc like this.
  3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    How much do you think you can honestly get for your 430 ?

I myself always look at the eventual sale side of any automotive purchase IE what will the car be worth when sold ?
    I also LOVE "special" Ferraris. They also hold value long term or appreciate.
    No offense but a 430 and a 458 are killer cars but not unique.
    However a 458 may hold great value as the last of the NA mid engined V-8s.
    IMO a better investment than a F1 430 long term.

But if I had 200K to spend right now on a modern Ferrari it would be for a 430 Scud.
    For "only" 100K more a 16M is money in the bank and a GREAT long term investment and I'm not a convertible fan.

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #4 LightGuy, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Also consider an F12.
    IIRC the first Ferrari The Stig said he ever lusted after.
    But race car drivers lust after "the bad girl" they cant control like we mortal men lust over supermodels. ;)

I'd take a F12 over a 458 any day all day.

5. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Scuderia.

Shark01 likes this.
  6. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I had a solid offer of 90k from a local collector.. There is no sales tax on private party sales in AZ... My car has 26k miles and is literally perfect... I may want to consider a scuderia upgrade instead of the 458.

Shark01 likes this.
  7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’m in the same boat, but looking at 488s. I think I might miss the 430, it pretty much fills the square except it’s not the newest anymore or one of the fastest things out there. But the looks & sound are hard to beat. Also I don’t look forward to being low balled on my 430, or paying sales tax on a 200K + car. Hard to find the right private party car, as I am pretty picky on what I want. I may end up keeping the 430... time will tell.

VAF84 and ICULUKN like this.
  8. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I sold my 430 for a 458 Spider. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!!! I really loved my 430 but the 458 is much smoother, tighter, etc. But you would expect that out of a newer car built on a newer platform. If I could have kept both, I would have. If you want the top down experience, then the Spider is great. If you want a GT car than the F12 woudl be another great option.

9. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Do you want an auto/paddle car or a stick shift? That choice changes the parameters of your search IMO.

I’d take stick 430 over 458. Have owned both. An F1 430 vs 458 would be an easier call to me - the 458 Spider is amazing.

I think there is some. Ore depreciation to come out of the 458 though. If I was you I’d do a holding pattern for a while, park that itch and re evaluate in 6 months (winter).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas likes this.
  10. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Scud

I had a similar money gap when I sold my 360 to get a scuderia. It cost more than twice as much. Is it twice as good? No, but it is a lot better. I've done that with other cars, and I've felt the same. How strong is your itch?

That being said, 458's and scuds were about the same money when I bought mine. Scud is a more special car, and has more upside IMHO, and to me it was a lot more fun to drive. I rented a 458 for a day, and I much prefer the scud. I do really want a speciale, but here again they're 2x the price of a 458. I haven't wanted one enough to trade, so I will wait until I can add one possibly. F12 is a much different car, but love it too. Try and rent each, and that will tell you a lot as to if it's worth it.

11. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    You´re making an important point in your first post about the money trap issue. From experience every used older car is a money trap if you prefer your car to be in perfect shape. Nobody sells a perfect well sorted car. This would be an important factor for me. Went through it several times with cars that were in beautiful condition but there were always a bunch of stuff that needs to be done. It´s not only about the money but it´s also the headache to have to deal with all the small issues and sort them out.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    If you haven't yet, do drive the 458. I have not. I can see the beauty of the 458 and I lust after it. But while I don't own a 430 (a 360 F1) I have a hard time looking at the gauge cluster in the 458 and seeing screens instead of a more classic layout of analog gauges. But with that said I do believe the 458 is a superior engineering design in almost all respects. And it sure appears to be a car with a great reliability rep.

True the 430 model is not the fastest, king of the hill car anymore. But it certainly is all the hp you could want on the street IMO. Heck even the paltry 400hp of my 360 still excites me. Even when I used to take my 911's on the track for DE events, they were then still more car than I was driver. Something to consider. Practical street driving? or HP bragging rights?

I'd have a hard time parting with a wonderful "perfect" car as you say your 430 is. For me, I always make sure I have a real good long list of reasons to do so.

13. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I would be wanting a F1 car. I know I am in the minority, but i enjoy the F1 transmission over the gated.
    I bought my F430 right, but it needed love... So I put money in to get the car the way I thought it should be maintained. (I even sourced the missing flashlight...LOL)....Now after a few years the car is perfect... Goes to the indi every 6 months for a check up and make sure it stays the way Ferrari spec'ed the car.

With that being said ... A 458 spyder is looking good... but as a previous posted said.. wait till winter (or maybe tax time) when people want to sell. I live in AZ where winter is prime driving weather so I often forget that others have to park their cars and maybe get bored...

I have driven a 458, but only on a track for about 30 minutes. Awesome experience...

TheDiffuser and KC360 FL like this.
  14. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    I wouldn't sell a 'perfect' F430 for a new one no matter which one. Unless you consider a perfect 430 Scud that is.

TheDiffuser, ICULUKN and Dicecal like this.
  15. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I'd listen to the folks who keep saying Scud or F12. If you're going to sell a car you already love, it needs to be for something truly special. The Scud and F12 definitely fit that definition.

16. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I traded my beautiful 430 Spider for a 458 Spider and have never thought twice about it. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my 430 just like I loved my 360 Spider before it, but this 458 is truly an amazing car. I wish I could be of more help, but the 458 is just an awesome car.

Jamie traina and Graz like this.
  17. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

458 is a far superior car, I’d even take the 458 over the 488.

bball16, Jamie traina and ICULUKN like this.
  18. riccard dellaqua

Jun 17, 2011
    I drove the 430 for two consecutive years at The Ferrari Experience at Mont Tremblant. I now own a 458 after loosing my CS (original owner, CA car, never seen a drop of raine, 7K miles) to a subterranean garage flood. I had a 355gts before the CS. Once I drove the CS, the 355 felt like a "Barbie Car." I loved the 355 but the CS was just so raw, exciting and thrilling to drive. I will always miss the CS for the before stated reasons, not to mention the appreciation potential. Anyway, as far as the enjoyment factor goes, I absolutely love the 458. The 458 is gorgeous inside and out. In race mode it's almost as fun as the CS while offering "Lexus" settings that makes it a smooth date car. I was serial dating for a time while I had the CS. My dates would suggest we take the Ferrari out for a drive up the coast
    through Malibu. When we got home, my dates would feel beat up and exhausted...not what you want to hear from your date and the end of an evening out. The 458, in my opinion, is better than the 430 in every way. I prefer the 458 over the CS as well...except for the appreciation potential and it rarity.

Enjoy, love and drive whatever you choose.

ICULUKN and whatheheck like this.
  19. basscapital

basscapital Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alan Bass
    I have a picture perfect 2007 F430 spider with 22000 miles on her. I was thinking about getting a 458 but don't want to pull $60,000 to $70,000 out of my investments that are earning between 5% to 8% annually to pay for the price difference on a 458. So the answer is that I would love the trade up but don't want to spend the money!

one4torque likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    458 wont disappoint. no right answer. you can always go back to a 430 if u decide - plenty to choose from

21. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I honestly think I am going to hold steady for another year. You all have made valid points... The biggest one is that the 458 is still going down where 430 prices have slowed or leveled.. I only drive my 430 about 2k miles a year so its not going to take a big hit between this year and next.

22. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    I did regret it, but I went from a Scuderia to a 458. After 2 years driving the 458 I went back to another Scud and now I will keep it forever. But when I went from F430 to my first Scuderia it was like "Wow".....

Compared to F430 the 458 is anyway on another planet. The F430 will feel like a tractor compared to the 458 Italia. But there are many things that I did not like in the 458 compared to the Scuderia, but the thing I hated most was the double clutch gearbox. The 458 has an excessive sensitive throttle imho, and I have always felt like I was on a boat in stormy waters when driving it; either I was accelerating (even softly) or decelerating and that made me like sea-sick. There are other posts that speak about this problem but to be honest I know this may affect only very few sensitive people. And I am one of those :confused:

Test drive it...but test drive also a Scud....;)

23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    You guys should address any differences in our if warranty main repair costs.

24. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob

I think thats a good plan! Pretty much what I’m doing, watching the market. With all the new cars Ferrari is unveiling, the newer cars will continue to decline in value.