Portofino Software vs Apple CarPlay | FerrariChat

Portofino Software vs Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by NZCREW, Feb 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    A great feature of the Portofino is the large central display which is practical and useable. The potential downside of this feature is when (in 3 - 5 years time) the current software becomes obsolete / dated. Hopefully Ferrari will update provide updates, but at some stage, when the PF Is replaced, Ferrari may stop any PF software updates.

One possible solution is Apple CarPlay, which may be updated by Apple on your mobile phone. However, knowing Apple very quickly the Hardware will not be able to keep up with the software improvements (i.e. the need to constantly upgrade your iPhone - or in this case the PF hardware). Again I see a probability that at some point (again 5 years time) where upgrades will no longer be possible.

Interested to hear some thoughts on this likely issue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    CarPlay hasn’t been out long enough to truly know... it’s been a little over 4 years now, perhaps almost five.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s not a super expensive option...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I completely agree. Multimedia systems are the first thing to get outdated.

I really think the way forward will be to have the screen as removable/optional (or upgradable), so in 15 years from now we aren't driving a car with a worthless black screen in the middle. See the screens from the 2000's and think what will happen to our current automobiles in a decade or so.

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Actually I think older systems will hold up longer then newer systems, or at least will lose more functionality then older ones. Take the system in the California for example. It does radio, Xm, cd, stored mp3 on hard disk and Bluetooth. So long as you update the maps and your device has Bluetooth it should work although will look antiquated. Even a unit with Apple CarPlay will eventually become worthless as the newer phones don’t support older versions since at some point the units that currently have Apple CarPlay will stop accepting updates. But I think it will be a while before they are useless and to be honest these cars are really meant to appeal to the first few owners. I don’t think any manufacturer cares about the media centers functionality 5 or 10 years down the road

5. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    My first car did not have it and the second did. Being an Apple owner I think that it is a must have option. There is a lot of truth in the comment about the lack of support of some systems over time, but if you have a technical background you see that this should be "mirror" onto your iPhone however new you phone becomes. The software is dead simple in the grand scheme of things.

I cannot see support finishing for a long time - in the same way as we now use Remote Desktops to access newer and newer systems at work yet an old crappy PC or Mac at home continues to work fine.

Just my opinion. Tick it!

daytona355 likes this.
  6. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Does anyone know if CarPlay is now standard on 2020 models? My dealer could not find the option code listed anymore, they are asking Ferrari about it Monday.

7. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    Please let me know. I’m in the middle of optioning a 2020.

8. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Have you asked your dealer about it? Would love to get a view from another dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    I’m headed there on Friday. Will let you know.

10. tommygun64

tommygun64 Karting

Mar 24, 2018
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
    Got told today, in place of Apple Car Play there is a new option SMRT (I guess it means smart phone). They speculate it means connection both for iphone and android but they didn't really know more details and they were going to ask the factory.

11. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I just spec my Port today and there’s no apple option to choose. Would like to know if it become standard?

12. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Its not standard. The option code has changed to incorporate both CarPlay and Android Auto.

13. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I have read about a Cali owner who has found out that the iPhone software has developed quicker than the Cali Apple CarPlay software, thus rendering his Apple CarPlay useless.

I was considering to add CarPlay to my spec but did not, and I'm happy I didn't after finding out about the potential software issues.

14. agricultoru

agricultoru Rookie

Apr 14, 2020
    Romania
    I have SMRT on my 2020 Portofino, I bought the car from dealer stock (so I did not tick the option myself). As far as I knew then, the car did not have Apple CarPlay and I had no idea the newer Portofinos could also have Android Auto. After reading this thread I got all excited, went straight to the garage. I tried to connect both my Samsung Note 9 and my girlfriend's IPhone 11 and nothing happens... I tried 2-3 cables, nothing.

So what the hell is that SMRT option? Even on 10 year old cars you were able to connect the phone via Bluetooth, so it can't be that... It would be ridiculous.

15. tommygun64

tommygun64 Karting

Mar 24, 2018
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
    I have ordered the SMRT option in my Portofino too. It is both Android auto and Apple car play. I use it with my Samsung all the time. Have you installed Android auto on your Samsung? Then you connect the cable to the forward USB port. Then on the car and on your phone you get the message to use Android auto and the phone option gets replaced with that double-arrow-like graphic of Android auto. Only glitch I have is that sometimes out of the blue it gets lost, but usually gets connected again after 2 secs.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Not true at all. On Cali T, carplay was introduced in 2015. That's 6 years ago! it is astonishing how it still works so well.

Ferrari built-in entertainment and maps are non comparison to carplay no matter how many shiny icons Ferrari puts in it. so if you are speccing a new car, wise to include carplay from the beginning.

lucasines likes this.
  17. sandisk

sandisk Karting

Jul 16, 2013
    It may also be possible to retro-fit the smartphone interface (for Apple and Android) as I've noted two different part numbers are available from Ferrari - 7005271 and 70005280 (not sure how they differ) but description is 'Kit Smartphone Interface Portofino' priced at £2,320+VAT.

18. tommygun64

tommygun64 Karting

Mar 24, 2018
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
  19. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    +1
    Quite agree with you,
    I will add, still work fine with an old Iphone 6S and 2017 Cali T HS CarPlay (Waze, Google Maps & Plans are great an regulary updated) nice to have them displayed on the info treatment screen.

SLViper1 likes this.
  20. agricultoru

agricultoru Rookie

Apr 14, 2020
    Romania
    Yeah, I can confirm now it works on my Portofino too. I was just using the wrong USB port and the cable was no good.
    I feel like such an idiot having this on my car for 6 months without knowing...

21. thomastrain

thomastrain Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve CI
    I have a 2017 Cali T where the car play was glitchy with my IPhone XS. The head unit would freeze or go black at times when I would initiate car play by plugging in the phone. There is a firmware update for the Cali T head unit that the dealer installed and now no more issues with car play for me. iPhone 12 works fine also.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I had some glitches too and guess what- it was a bad cable! First thing when encountering problems is try a new cable. The new cable fixed all my problems.

23. thomastrain

thomastrain Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve CI
    Yes I would agree that new cables are the first thing to try but it did not solve my problems with the head unit. I had to get the firmware updated.

24. Gfoxsteve

Gfoxsteve Rookie

Jan 9, 2015
    I have this issue. Would you be able to tell me which software version you are using on your unit please, it may help me to get my dealer to update my firmware. Many thanks

25. thomastrain

thomastrain Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve CI
    On my head unit the software is version 16.23.50.