Shall I buy a 348 or a Aston Martin vantage 2005? | FerrariChat

Shall I buy a 348 or a Aston Martin vantage 2005?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by David_98, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David_98

David_98 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    David Vella
    Hi I'm a 21 year old guy university student and I own a business I'm doing quite well for myself. That being said, by the end of this year I shall be in the market to purchase a new car ... which I am still undecided on if it shall be either a Ferrari 348 which I really love due to its Testarossa look, however the Aston Martin Vantage 2005 is also one of the nicest cars that ever exised imo.

If you weren't a biased Ferrari owner or supporter since I'm posting on a Ferrari forum, which car would you go for?

Cheers

2. V12uuu

V12uuu Rookie

Dec 1, 2018
    UK
    Hi David,

I am going to be interested to hear what people say to this Q. I once had the Aston V12 Vantage and now own a 458. However, I have been looking at the 348 on the grounds that it is an interesting classic - not too expensive, but I (personally) love the looks. I would be buying it because it has a “raw” appeal - manual, driving a bit like a “go-kart”. The V12 Vantage once owned was completely the opposite of that. I would think a 2005 Vantage would be the same (albeit with a lot less power).

So you have the refined Aston or the rawness of the 348. I am going to think it depends what you want from the car. When I first drove a Ferrari, it was a paddle shift 360. Again a bit like a go-kart and I didn’t like it at the time. I stayed with my Porsche 911 (993 model) and eventually traded up to the Aston. However, I think that misses the point. The immediacy of a light weigh Ferrari is intoxicating. Great fun. But not (at least in my opinion) for every day.

Good luck with your search.

NYC Fred, Robb and ILLA NOIZ like this.
  3. David_98

David_98 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    David Vella
    Thanks for your reply! Well honestly I currently own a BMW X1 daily driver and as a 'Sunday car' a 1969 Fiat 124 which is quite raw. As I said I'm looking to purchase a 'big car' now and don't mind at all having less power, I'm more of buying the car in terms of preference. Although I've never driven or had a ride in either I've been in a 328 GTS and a 458, and if I'm honest I think even the fact that having a Ferrari has a better status that an Aston Martin ( I love them don't get me wrong but I think there's that stigma).

Besides that I think the 348 would be a better investment, either way if I had to get any from were I am it will be costing me around 60k more or less for either so since this is going to be my first time spending that amount of money I want to try my best decision

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Wow....two ends of the spectrum with those cars, really depends on what you are looking for....on one hand, you have a very raw, very old "race car" with very little in the creature comforts and safety realm, that will most definitely take some TLC unless you find one well $$$orted...but STOP looking at it as an investment. Even if your car appreciates in value a little (the 348's were not one of the most desirable models, so that is an IF), it will come out in the wash when you do your major. But yes, it will turn heads, you will get your ooh's and ahh's but let me tell you, it's NOT worth it for that, you have to love the car, looking at buying one an old Ferrari for "status" just to tie yourself in with ownership is ridiculous IMO.

I'll repeat the adage: The purchase price is just the entry fee.

On the other hand, you have a more modern luxury car that will probably be more reliable (as an AM can be), has pretty much every creature comfort and safety feature available, will be a much smoother car to drive....but I didn't think they made them in 2005 did they?

Texas Forever, VAF84 and ZA3879 like this.
  5. David_98

David_98 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    David Vella
    Not a status perse, might have sounded wrong, more of a ''I always wanted to own a Ferrari'', just the thought of owning a Ferrari makes me feel motivated and continue focusing on my business etc, not that the Aston doesn't but since I was little I and most people I know of for that matter, associate a Ferrari with someone successful so from a mental standpoint I think it matters.

That being said, I don't mind classics, actually I love the raw and thrill a car like that gives. Just to give you an idea, the country (we are a country of only 400k people) I'm from the last known 348 that sold was for around €80k, the only one currently listed locally is asking €100k so that's like $110k. Same for the Aston last one sold for around $100k. From my earlier post I'm always indicating if I had to import from abroad hence my indicated prices.

Rephrasing my question would be, if you had to buy one, which would you choose and why? Any Ferrari or any other car in that price range you would suggest?

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    This is all ok but what sort of service can you get for either locally - also it seems to me your roads are legendarily bad

If you buy one get it in England and experience the drive back !

7. David_98

David_98 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    David Vella
    To be quite honest neither, nearest would be Italy. Yea definitely intend to get it from England or Italy (I would want a LHD if it's the Ferrari). With regards to roads, yea they are a big disgrace, however seem to have been improving recently. Even though some see that as an issue, I honestly think we are one of the most highly densed country in terms of exotic cars

8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Good question. I am thinking about what I might do in retirement (some years away yet) and an AM V8 Vantage was an option. That said I'm not sure how it might feel compared to a Ferrari.
    I might be biased and of no help but I must add that I do really like Aston Martins but have never been in one. I've had three Ferraris, an 1983 Mondial QV, 1997 F355 and now a 2001 360.
    They are such a thrill to drive and I don't think I personally would take the drive (from what I hear) of the 2005 Vantage over any of the Ferraris I've owned. I do however love how the Vantage looks (beautiful) and sounds.
    I have been a passenger in a 348 GTB (late car) and it felt as good as any other Ferrari I have driven. Like the Mondial (in that it has no power steering) it will most likely feel very direct and properly analogue.

Tough choice, go and drive both.

PS I mistakenly thought a V8 AM might be cheaper to own than my 360 hence the retirement idea but I don't believe it would be at all. I now feel something like an Alfa 4C or 60's Mustang for me is a better option. Some years away (10 at the very least) yet.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #9 Ferrari 308 GTB, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    400000 population with high density of exotic cars? Malta? Iceland?Luxembourg

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Not sure where you are at those prices; but UK a lhd 348 is maybe £40k for a very nice example. Not sure about a vantage but they are nice an cheap now; with a rhd 06 being mid to low £30s.

Both have their pluses and minuses. I looked at vantages before I bought the 348. I’d say neither are investment cars, just look at it as what you might loose less on.

I test drove a 4.3 vantage and whilst nice was a little underwhelmed with the performance. Maybe the 4.7 is better. The 348 is certainly more raw as said.

Both I think are around bottom price at the moment; although both have gone down around 15% in the last two years.

If your fishing in the UK, look at and contact Kent high performance cars.

Whilst I would still like a vantage if I could only choose one it would be the Ferrari!

Good luck and keep us posted!

11. VantageV8!

VantageV8! Rookie

May 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ben
    David,

Funny story: I traded in my 1990 348TB for a 2006 Vantage V8.
    In performance the vantage is a step up, but the 348 is more “emotion”.
    Take testdrive in both and you know exactly what I mean.

The vantage is currently still deapriciating whilest the 348 is gaining in price.

These cars are bought with the heart, not with the mind...

Ben
    Holland

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm not sure what car values are where you live but 348's I've seen range from the upper $30's USD to $90k USED. To me a 348 with lower performance AND an engine out is always going to be a less than $50k car. But I think it's cool personally so I might pick one up. Astons are and always will be in my eyes depreciating lead Anchors. I wouldn't pay more than $30-35k for one because they WILL depreciate to it given time. My father loved his "I have an Aston Martin!" DB7. I've seen those sell for $17k with an automatic transmission.

As above, who will be servicing the car for you and can you maintain it? Buying a red Ferrari is cheap. Maintaining it, especially a fiat era 348 going on 30 years of age is going to be the challenge.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  13. David_98

David_98 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    David Vella

Definitely also considered getting a '69 Mustang Mach 1 Lovely cars! I guess that would be the next car after this haha

Yup spot on one of them ;)

And that's one of the reasons why I want to eventually come live in the UK. The car registration here is horrendous! Just to give you an idea on a 458, to get normal everyday plates you need to pay €100k!! Bloody expensive ... hence why the prices I mentioned considering that fee aswell.

Lovely cars indeed, hence why I'm still left wondering.

And that's one of the reasons why I want to eventually go live abroad The car registration here is horrendous! Just to give you an idea on a 458, to get normal everyday plates you need to pay €100k!! Bloody expensive ... hence why the prices I mentioned considering that fee aswell. In terms of maintenance I still need to consider both options.

Thanks a lot for these question, keep them coming!

14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Both will have some issues with older parts being expensive to replace. I had a 348 and felt like it was a similar need (bucket list item). I would go for that as the newer sports cars don't provide the same visceral experience at reasonable speeds (you have to really haul the mail in a newer car to FEEL fast), while I think the newer Super GT cars have exceeded the 05 Aston attributes that were being aimed for. In other words, go for a 348 while it is still supported by this community of gear heads for repairs.

Get a Super GT in 5 years or so.

:D
    BT

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  15. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    If you get the Aston, do you think you’d be wondering all the time about the Ferrari? And if you get the Ferrari, do you think you’d be wondering about the Aston?

What I mean is that this is probable solely an emotional decision. There are many cars at the price point that are better driving cars... faster, better handling, less of a headache etc. I suspect the only real way of choosing is to look in your heart and see which one you desire the most regardless of how they drive or practical constraints.

Are you passionate about Ferrari?
    Are you passionate about Aston?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’ve owned both, and they are very different cars...., the 348 for all its faults (quite a hard ride, centre of gravity a bit high so the handling could be much better) etc, is still a great looking Ferrari, which you buy for the look and feel of driving. The Aston is more of a ‘cruiser’, it has the noise and is absolutely drop dead handsome, but when driving it, it doesn’t really feel overly special with its ford parts bin interior and Volvo satnav. That said, the ferrari screams playboy and can get you some horrible reactions from the proletariat, the Aston shouts ‘my name is Bond, James Bond’ at every opportunity so you get love from the same hooligans that hate a ferrari driver!

MalcQV and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  18. David_98

David_98 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    David Vella
    That's one of the reasons I fell in love with the Aston, due to James Bond ... one of the most beautiful cars ever made imo. Although 2 very distinct cars as you said, realistically IF AND ONLY IF I forgot about the maintenance for now, I think I would go for the Ferrari because in my local market in terms of resale I think it would be easier since local people tend to prefer more on having a Ferrari.

Honestly about both, my dream Ferrari and Aston would be a 288 GTO and a DB5 so... good but hard question ;)

daytona355 likes this.
  19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I think I could go with those dream cars. Might swap the DB5 for a Miura though.. might.

I've not realised where you live. Is it the Netherlands or maybe further north? Ignore this last sentence a see a post earlier up suggesting one of three.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The original Miura....... one of the most beautiful cars ever made! Do you remember the one they produced as a show car for an updated Miura with aventador engine, painted in green, that top gear magazine had on its cover, must be a few years ago now? I would’ve ordered one in a heartbeat! It was stunning

MalcQV likes this.
  21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I constantly change between 288GTO and Miura. I'm told the 288GTO is the better drive from those that have. I agree a retro Miura would be something. Such a pretty car if not the prettiest IMO.

daytona355 likes this.
  22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have not owned a vantage, but i like the design.
    i have owned the 348 and it was the worst car i ever owned. cursed by the devil.

23. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    David, I would lean towards a gate shifted Ferrari. The year Vantage you’re considering won’t match up to the excitement the Ferrari will give you. I’ve owned both brands and imho the Ferrari wins out. Don’t get me wrong. My Aston DB9 was one of the most beautiful cars I’ve ever owned but it was lacking in the other departments. The new Vantage is impressive but the older renditions don’t compare to a Ferrari. Just my 2cents. Good luck.

daytona355 likes this.
  24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    What year was it ?

25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002