2017 California - first buyer concerns | FerrariChat

2017 California - first buyer concerns

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DougFirstFerrari, Apr 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DougFirstFerrari

Apr 28, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Doug Gottschalk
    So, I think I got a good/great price on this 2017 Cali, 6,500 miles 4 month warranty left. It has 2 previous owners (red flag) but clean car fax. The front bumper looks like a slight diff shade than the rest of the car, and the passenger side head lamp is protruded, with some uneven-ness on the panel gaps near the headlight. I also know that the shocks were replace by Ferrari at some point. Should I be concerned? The dealer is giving me 5 days to drive and take to be inspected by authorized dealer, but would love thoughts...

You can see the color issue w bumper and even the slight panel misalignment on left of the passenger light...

Thanks Doug
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    Remember that a Carfax is as good as the companies that sell them the info.

I’ve actually had mild body work done on cars out of pocket, and if you go to a body shop that doesn’t report to Carfax, it’ll never show up.

You might want to do some searching of the VIN on the internet and possibly VINWiki and see if anything comes up.

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Have it inspected by a professional with a paint meter.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Looks to me like the bumper facade was replaced and they didn't match the paint correctly. I would definitely have it inspected before you commit to buy.

5. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    That is a significant colour variation that should not have left the paint shop. The misalignment also raises further questions as to the quality of repair. You should have a professional assess the vehicle for collision damage. If the bumper respray is a result of some type of accident then if they can't match the paint nor fit the panel then any repairs would be sub standard. If the bumper respray is simply a result of scrapes and chips then take the cost of having a professional respray done off the price. Maybe the second owner had an accident and is now selling after the repairs have been completed. Don't let the dealer pressure you this a big purchase and you can always find another one without a cloud over its history.

Jamie traina and showme1946 like this.
  6. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    That colour match isn't even close! I'd refuse the deal until a proper one is fitted.

carnutdallas and paulchua like this.
  7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Do yourself a favor, go buy a car from a Ferrari dealer with a warranty. You might pay a bit more now but you don't want to your first Ferrari to be your last. I would be glad to introduce you to my dealer.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly this. First Ferrari - you don't want nagging doubts. You want to be our there enjoying your car...T

RickVC likes this.
  9. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I would ALWAYS have an independent and good quality PPI done, even when buying used from a Ferrari dealer with a warranty (IMHO based on real time experience Ferrari dealers are used car dealers just like all the rest, no better, no worse). This car has obvious issues and you need to be able to fully understand them in order to make a decision. May be a great car with a minor readily fixable issue, maybe not.

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I dont know why everyone is making this such a big deal. Front bumpers get painted all the time. Silver is a hard color to match. Also, it isn't uncommon for the factory to not have plastic bumpers match on a aluminum car. Look at any xk8.

That being said... Ferraris typically don't have that problem, but many of them also get repaired in transit as well.

People are correct, have the car inspected. It will tell you the whole story. Worst case they try to sell you a different better california for a better price... or a better value.

But if the bumper was painted which it most definitely has... its not the end of the world.

Also, a paint meter isn't going to work on a bumper cover so thats not going to tell you squat.

11. DougFirstFerrari

Apr 28, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Doug Gottschalk
    Hi all thanks for feedback. Ferrari dealer in Lake Forrest IL inspected car and looked for damage and said it looked great. They said it’s not always perfect and the bumper is painted in different process. Also took to body shop I’ve used for years and they said it didn’t appear to have damage nor have been painted. Car is amazing still has full warranty and I’m in love.

technom3 likes this.
  12. DougFirstFerrari

Apr 28, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Doug Gottschalk
    technom3 and Jamie traina like this.
  13. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Lovely car.

Outstanding color combo.

Welcome to The Obsession.

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Indeed. Very tasty looking Cali.
    Enjoy.
    T

15. Dorin Candea

Dorin Candea Rookie

Oct 10, 2018
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dorin Candea
    Paint over metal , paint over plastic. Different shades
    I have a 3 layer paint Bianco Fuji on my Cali and the shades is different and a $30K extra cost . The headlights do not always fit properly from side to side
    Seen that in Cali, 458 and other Ferrari

Enjoy the car

16. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I can certainly see your concerns. If it bothers you too much, have the plastic bits wrapped in flat black. That would also protect the original finish from rocks and errant squirrels.

17. GH13

GH13 Karting

Apr 26, 2019
    I think the best solution is for you to make sure you are in the driver’s seat as often as possible.

Slight color mismatches aren’t visible from the best seat in the house.

paulchua likes this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Precisely. Find a twisty road, throw it in manual /sport mode, hit the accelerator, & the cares of the world just fade away!
    T

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    gorgeous car man!

20. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had the front bumper resprayed on my Grigio Titanio 430 after repairing the chin scrapes. Color match is perfect. So it can be done on a grey car.

With that said I would ask, why is this one the one? The California isn’t exactly a rare car so I’m sure there’s plenty of options out there. The color isn’t that rare either, as I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a few in that combination.

How does the price compare? If it’s way below market for a 2017, perhaps this is why. If you’re good with that, have at it. If it bothers you, keep looking.