Portofino for review this week | FerrariChat

Portofino for review this week

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Themaven, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Hello California/Portofino forum,
    I have a Portofino for review this week. (I work in the media, and am also a Ferrari owner).

Some pix here. Any thoughts from owners on their Portofino vs Cali T or Cali 30 or Cali welcome. Also on colours and spec - you will see this car is very well optioned, but not sure if wisely optioned. (More than US$100k of options)

I can't pass on any opinions on the car til the review is out. My daughter, who has passengered in many Ferraris, says it's the smoothest Ferrari she has ever been in.

Last image is with the 720S I have for next review. (Not a comparison)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    So you come to the forum, post some random photos of a PF up, say you can't share your own opinion and then ask for some free research? How much lazier does car journalism get?

AlexBen, boobernackle and luckyguy like this.
  3. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I’m not sure why a professional reviewer would want to bias their opinion and review of the car with comparisons from regular (non-professional) owners.

Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I don’t think a lot of reviews have done the Portofino justice. The Portofino serves particular customer requirements by offering a powerful convertible combining the advantages of a retractable hard top, a roomy boot and generous cockpit space complete with two rear seats suitable for short trips. It is also a Ferrari.

It is designed to be driven every day and effortlessly converts from a coupé to a drop-top capable of delivering the Ferrari soundtrack from the award winning V8 and offers a superb driving experience whether on motorways or twisty roads.

Unlike many reviews, Ferrari does not compare the Portofino to the other models in its range, although the engine is basically the same as the 488. Instead they compare it to the Mercedes SL63 AMG (another hardtop convertible) and the Bentley Continental Convertible. You could also add the Aston Martin DB11 Volante into the mix.

The Portofino is designed to be used frequently and offer a sporty driving experience, not extreme, and in my opinion it does this extremely well.

Personally, the Portofino is the best car I’ve owned for it practicality and performance. The benefit of being hardtop convertible is quite unique in this market sector and is also a very strong selling point to me. It’s not 100% perfect, but it does everything I want from a car.

R J and tommygun64 like this.
  5. luckyguy

luckyguy Karting

Nov 18, 2016
    venice italy
    Lol

Inviato dal mio LYA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

6. BHMSOCCER

BHMSOCCER Rookie

Dec 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I have had my Portofino since April and love it. The weather has finally improved and there is nothing better than a weekend drive with the top down through winding roads. I had 2 adults (small ones) in the back seat for an hour long drive with the top down and they said it was comfortable. The engine provides more than enough power but isn't scary fast like other exotics. Ferrari did a great job building an every day car that is still very much a Ferrari. I wouldn't want trade my Portofino for an AMG, Bentley or Aston Martin. My car has significantly fewer options than your test car. I didn't feel the need for all the carbon fiber options.

GlowRed likes this.
  7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you - interesting. I agree that the Portofino is intended by Ferrari to compete in a different market to the traditional V8 midengine/V12 front engine two seaters. Having the back seats makes a big difference. I have never been able to give any of my kids + a friend a ride in any of the six Ferraris I own/have owned, and it's a big plus.

My own rules at the magazine group I run preclude me from submitting my opinions or personal observations on the car before I run the review, but the facts are 600 hp, a 2+2, and a folding hard top, hard to argue with.

There was a media track day at a well known circuit here in the UK last week and the Portofinos performed very well - owners have told me the same.

Further opinions welcome, even from angry men, though even more so from those who have made the Cali to Portofino transition, and also from those who have moved to the Portofino from Aston, SL AMG, Bentley, etc.

Motoring journalists (I am not one) can be brilliant but can suffer from too much exposure- driving a spread of cars and not understanding owners' lifestyles at the high end. I don't think most Portofino owners care about track times, but this is the best place to find out what matters.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I hear you about the options. The most expensive was the special matte Argento paint, which is £18,000.

9. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    As well as a number of other cars, I've owned 2 x Cali, Porsche 911 Turbo Cab and an AMG GTS and I stand by my opinion that the Portofino is the best car I've owned.

uhn2000 and Themaven like this.
  10. fordgt2006

fordgt2006 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    I agree. It’s a great all around Ferrari.

Themaven and GlowRed like this.
  11. JayGeeee

JayGeeee Rookie

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    James H Gill II
    Has anyone compared it to the Aston Martin DB11 Volante? It would seem a DIRECT comparison. It's funny that for less expensive cars, comparisons, are all over the place. But when you get to more expensive cars, reviewers seem to be afraid to make comparisons and risk any supply relationships a la Chris Harris. It's beyond unfortunate because there's A LOT of money at stake here.

12. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    @Themaven - I think Harry posted a very good review yesterday with pros and a few cons, mainly about the weight of the metal folding roof, he would have preferred a soft top. I think his main point about preferring it over the Roma is right on the money. There should be some positive inspiration there.

Personally I prefer it over the 911 and AMG GTC, it's just more special.

Florida Joe likes this.