348 - If I buy not the best one... | FerrariChat

348 If I buy not the best one...

Discussion in '348/355' started by mariushh, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mariushh

mariushh Rookie

May 28, 2019
    Olsztyn, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mario
    If I buy not the best one... What should I expect? There are few 348s on sale near me and I see there are far away from perfection, anyway, their price is reasonable and sure I can afford buing one.

How much $ should I keep to bring 348 to mint condition if she wasn't trated properly for many of her 40.000 miles? And what to look first?

Thank you for your time. :)

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    You really need to have a checklist and have the car(s) inspected by a competent Ferrari mechanic. You and the mechanic should drive the car and compare it to others. Try to find a helpful owner near you.

Then you can add up all the needs for the car and you will then have your answer. There is no way any of us here can give you a good answer.

Once you have all your answers, most buyers would keep an extra $5k to $10k for unknown issues that may pop up down the road.

I would buy the best condition car you can with most of the major mechanical issues done and documented. You can take care of minor cosmetic issues yourself or add any missing parts that don’t affect the drive ability.

Also think how long it will take to remedy any issues - because you won’t be driving it during a major amount of work if needed.

I’m sure the group is happy to give you advice once you link us to cars you are considering.

Robb

sixcarbs likes this.
  3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Depends on what it needs. Can't answer your question of how much $$ without that information.

Robb likes this.
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Price doesn't necessarily reflect condition.

rumen1, Jakuzzi and Robb like this.
  5. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    rumen1, Qavion, Robb and 2 others like this.
  6. mariushh

mariushh Rookie

May 28, 2019
    Olsztyn, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for answers, is there any thread which I should look up to with "weak points" of 348 to check before buying?

Also read about major service of 348 and general opinion I saw on other forums is "348 service is pain in the ass and only F355 is worse..." Is there some truth?

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I wouldn't say the 355 is worse than the 348. Both required an engine out major. A lot is made of this, particularly for a 355. Funny how you seldom here people bitching about an engine out service for a Mondial T, or Testarossa. It's always, oh the 355. They require an engine out major service every xxx years.

Actually, for a well sorted 348 and 355 the major service is more involved for the 348 since it requires valve adjustment where as the 355 doesn't.

These are a little dated but prices vary all over the place for any given car. But the relative differences between cars is an indication of the degree of work involved for each.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Challenge likes this.
  8. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Have a good read at http://my348.com/
    A great site to introduce you to Purchasing and Maintaining a 348!
    To answer your other question on Service, it would depend on how much wrenching you will do yourself! If you care to get your hands dirty, a 348 Ferrari can be quite reasonable in maintenance. There are many(huge knowledge base) on here to help, plus many parts that are better quality/price than OEM parts. Lists of those parts are available at the top of this site. If you're one that just would like Dealer Servicing, then find yourself a decent Independent Garage, as costs could rise quickly. Read through and follow the guidelines on above listed site. Enjoy the ride....!

mariushh likes this.
  9. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's only a pain in the ass if you are thinking that a Ferrari requires zero maintenance. If you acknowledge that a 348 will require service, including the major engine out, and are willing to pay the piper, and are at peace with that, then no it is not a pain in the ass. On the other hand, if you are expecting a Honda maintenance cost then yes it is a pain in the ass.

Will you be servicing yourself, or have it sent to a pro?

mariushh likes this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Well, there is good condition and then there is mint condition. Check out the Bradan service message threads (on the 348/355 forum) and you will truly see what is required to bring the car to mint condition.

For example:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/bradan-f355-bare-metal-paint-job-upholstery-mechanical-service.569053/

Some folks get more satisfaction out of fixing their cars (themselves) than they do driving them :D Which type are you?

mariushh likes this.
  11. mariushh

mariushh Rookie

May 28, 2019
    Olsztyn, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Putting things in perspective.

I am trying to be mature with my decision and I am calculating risks of having 348. For sure these risks are higher than risks of 360 or 430, but there is something in 348, that those next generations are missing, in my opinion of course. F355 is also gorgeous, but seeing them exploding on youtube for "no reason" made simply pushed away from this beauty.

I am average Joe, who works for his dreams, like most of you guys here. :) I enjoy driving and listening to the car... And hearing wired noises during this process makes me rather stressed than happy. I am not this man who gets happy because finally has the reason to take the engine out. :D

Have many friends who have good skills when it comes to mechanics, they do it for life, but I am afraid they don't have experience with Ferraris. So the remaining question is does someone who is good would be able to help with basic maintenance of the 348?

Keeping it all together, my vision is: "To get one 348, pay XXXX $ for doing things which need to be done to make her safe for me and for her longevity and drive it occasionally let's say 2000 miles / year. - Is it impossible vision?

12. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    In general and unless you can do the work yourself, it is cheaper to buy the best car to begin with.
    I don’t think the 355 is mechanically weaker than the 348.

13. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    There is no such thing as an inexpensive Ferrari. I’d recommend buying one that has documented history of service work being done. Get a PPI done on the car. Just keep in mind that during the major service, there will generally be “while we’re in there” stuff to be done that will add $$$ to the service.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Robb likes this.
  14. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 348 is very easy to work on, and most of the parts in the engine bay are easily accessible.

Like you, I am an average Joe working class who loves Ferraris and never thought I would own one.

If you, and/or your friends are handy with a wrench, then the 348 is the right model for you

Ryan..., Wade and Robb like this.
  15. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    I bought mine, which was tatty, and not long out of 11 year storage. It had had a belt service, and brakes overhauled prior to me buying it. I had the paint tidied so looked presentable, and decided to just run it and attend to the jobs as they crop up. Cats were rattling, so changed them out. Replaced the tyres as 13 years old! That has been about it, run her for over a year now, still to sort central locking , passenger window doesn't work, drivers goes down but hits something half way etc. but most are all probably related to the door sockets. She will never win any concours prizes, but I wanted a car I could work on and one I would not be scared to drive in all weathers. Go for it if you can wield a spanner, they are quite simple.

blox79 and Ryan... like this.
  16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I suspect that you were a victim of internet nonsense. ;)

Glad to see that you're asking the right questions here.

Btw, you didn't mention your location.

Ryan... and Jakuzzi like this.
  17. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    It definitely helps to be able to do the wrenching yourself, and being happy to do it is even better. It makes you feel better to have the knowledge that you were the one putting things together with the time and care that it takes.
    When you hear these "horror stories" about the 15k repair bills, it's because shop labor for exotics is really high (as it should be) and many times the owner doesn't know how to properly treat the car because they lack the intimate knowledge of how things are designed to work. In other words, the more you know about the car you are driving the better your experience will be.

Robb and Wade like this.
  18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree with this. The 348 is also quite reliable and not as finicky due to simplicity and lack of electronic Nanny's.

Get a leakdown or compression test. I'd the engkne is good and they almost all are then the rest is straight forward.

Xref of parts brings cost way way down like 70% down.

Expect to have to do stuff like steering rack rebuiild or what not but nothing crazy expensive.

Engine or GB failure is gonna cost. Everything else is no big deal really if you diy as mentioned.

Good luck.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ryan... likes this.
  19. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not to mention you have all the support in the world right here on this forum. A lot of amateurs have become semi pros (me being one of them) because of it.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  20. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  21. Steven Webber

Steven Webber Rookie

Jan 8, 2019
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Full Name:
    Steven Webber
    Now I want a 348

Robb likes this.
  22. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Don't watch Youtube when it comes to decisions like this - it's all sensationalist nonsense. Talk to owners like you're doing here. Between a 348, 355, 360 or 430 none of them are 'riskier' than the other - it all depends on the individual car's condition and your willingness to do a little work / hunt down parts etc. Again let us know where you are - the availablilty of Indy shops etc could influence your ownership experience.

23. ExigentM

ExigentM Rookie

Jul 18, 2010
    Hamilton, Oh
    Full Name:
    Mark Kile
    Your "dream" is realistic ! Heed the advice in these replies, particularly the mechanic inspection prior to purchase and buying the best condition you can afford.

I took a similar path with a 308, had 40k miles when I bought it, a smattering of receipts, reasonable but not pristine condition.

Five years later, I've driven it @ 12k miles and spent @ $1k doing some odds and ends in that time (all of which I was able to do myself with common tools). Taking it in for a 30k mile service in two weeks, estimate is $4k - $5k. I've had a bunch of sports cars but the Ferrari never fails to put a smile on my face!

Obviously not the same model but that has been my experience thus far.

mariushh and Ryan... like this.
  24. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    A good example of what I have in mine so far. Was what most would consider cheap for a 348 but needed work. I've done all the work myself and tried sourcing parts wherever I can to save money. After shipping costs, engine out major service and other odds and ends parts, I have spent an additional $4200 on top of the purchase price. Still needs some interior work, and paint correction.
    Most expensive part will obviously be the major service if it needs to be done. Everything else can be done slowly as you have the funds or time/knowledge if doing it yourself as others have said.

Ryan... likes this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Mario, I respect where your are coming from. The question you ask is very difficult without a mechanic to inspect the car in question. It can be the luckiest find or a total money pit. No way to know without a knowledgeable person inspecting and having history on the car.

mariushh likes this.