SF90 Stradale - YES/NO/MAYBE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SF90 Stradale - YES/NO/MAYBE

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

The new SF90 Stradale -

1. I ordered one

16.1%
  2. I will order one

9.4%
  3. I’m considering

14.2%
  4. No sorry, nothing for me

35.1%
  5. I would if I could

20.3%
  6. Waiting for a preowned one

5.0%
  1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I'm considering it.

I can give my wife the 488 Spider and trade the MB GTC. That would be the plan but it would still be $450k out of pocket assuming $510k base and decent options. The car has an amazing amount of new technology and engineering for a street legal car. The price for all that packed into one car is great. Just for all that it's worth it. Read the 14pg paper that Marcel attached to the other thread in this section.

Downside is the sound wasn't good on the instagram and the rear does have the look of a Camaro from a couple of angles. The rear visibility is near zero but the interior is fantastic as is the new HMI.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I meant replying to Tomc post about not liking the name SF90

3. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Did I not admit all the similarities I see in my original post? I’m not saying you’re wrong... you are correct that the rear air intakes and engine are placed similarly to the F8. I’m just saying that the overall shape and dimensions aren’t remotely similar. When you see these two parked next to each other in real life there will be no question which one is $600k and which is $350k.

The design language is similar but the shapes of the cars couldn’t be more different. Think huracan vs. aventador.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My man- I’m just commenting on those two photos. In real life you very well may be right but considering I haven’t seen the car in real life and assuming neither have you, all we can base it on is on the pics.

5. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The dry weight of the SF90 Stradale is 1,570kg (3,461) which is more than the curb weight of the McLaren P1 which is 1,547kg (3,411 pounds) so it is definitely a significantly heavier car than the P1. LaFerrari curb weight is generally accepted to be 1,587kb (3,500 pounds) so this car will definitely be heavier than LaFerrari. Just think how much lighter, and stiffer, this would have been if Ferrari had used a carbon fiber chassis which I was hoping they would.

That said, I really like this car. I like the styling, there's a lot of cool technology in this car and it will be wicked fast and fun to drive. I'm excited for Ferrari's first mid-engined all wheel drive car. If there's any company that knows how to make 4 wheel drive cars still drive like Ferraris, it's Ferrari. I had an FF for 5 years and it was always great fun to drive. Glad to see an all-new HMI as well. Can't wait to see the price list and options list.

Well done Ferrari!

6. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Fair enough. I haven’t seen it irl either. Just don’t want us to get ahead of ourselves when it looks to me that the car is a proper “flagship” model.

I’ve got my reservations about the design too. Not a big fan of the rear lights (dare I say a bit “Camaro”), but I surely won’t be confusing this car with the F8, corvette, or any other car for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

It might be the flagship model- I have no clue. It likely has a dominant presence in real
    Life but I’ll reserve judgement till I actually see it.

Based on the photos it’s a nice evolution of existing models.

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I don't mind the pic showing the look from the side - looks pretty darn good from that angle, but that unresolved rear end is proving VERY hard to swallow visually and I'm trying very hard to like it. I will however concede SF90 is clearly a very bespoke car, and I fully respect that position but given the huge weight factor of the car along with the unknown reliability of the hybrid drivetrain and awd system it all doesn't present to me as an attractive proposition least of all a suitable replacement for what I have. So on that score I would have to say a big no at this stage in the game.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #34 paulchua, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Appreciate the note, according to Drive the curb weight is 3,495 in Fiorano spec. So lighter then 918, LaF, and 84 lbs heavier then P1. (I said around 50) but I think we’re splitting hairs at this point, being 6 gallons of gas /specific driver margins of territory. Also some have remarked 3500 is a laf with lift system and all options, that you could get it as light as 3,300, but just using Ferrari provided numbers to be somewhat objective.

Also Ferrari is known to be ‘optimistic’ in numbers so there’s that. Which I still don’t know if valid today given hungry trial lawyers....

10. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari didn't release curb weight figures. If that article is to be believed on curb weight then you have to believe only 78 pounds difference from Ferrari-published\ dry weight to actual curb weight which isn't believable considering 70l of petrol alone (Ferrari states 68l + 2l reserve fuel capacity) should weigh about 52 kg / 114 pounds and the car would have other fluids as well.

In addition Ferrari's own press release has fine print saying "with optional extras" so I think it's safe to assume the dry weight they're quoting is with the Assetto Fiorano spec. So, "lighter than 918" is the only safe statement to make when comparing it to those three cars - but it will be less than half the price of P1 or LaFerrari! It will be plenty fast and I'm sure super fun to drive!

ekovalsky and paulchua like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Makes sense, I'm thinking Drive got it wrong and I should not have relied on that article for the official weight, Haggerty quoted similar numbers too. Looks like I'm going to have to wait until some real test numbers come out.

12. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I have mix feeling about the SF90 so far but I just went ahead with the order. I have faith in Ferrari than any car manufacturers at the moment.

13. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I actually like this one very much - however Autoropa here in Sweden where I live have currently messed up my current Ferrari FF so badly (very long story), so I see no point in ordering one. Just the thought of a +8.000.000 sek (swedish cuurrency...) and then haveing to deal with the crap Autoropa offers - no sorry. I love my Ferrari, don't get me wrong here, but the dealer here in Sweden is just so bad.

14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I like it. Interesting design and impressive tech.

My 3 cons would be Camaro style rear lights, exhaust sound and weight. I bet the car looks much better in the flesh.

sampelligrino likes this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Comments about the presumably too high price are puzzling me - I feel around EUR 700K it would be better value than a Pista at EUR 400K (you can get an F8 for less than EUR 300K, and it's very similar to ta Pista, except the price that makes the Pista exclusivity - but you cannot get anything close to the SF90 for a lower price).

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't think the price is high at all. Was expecting more!

I thought the F8 was fantastic and high on my list....until I saw this. Wow.

Boomhauer and crinoid like this.
  17. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    price is reasonable, for me there's too much electronics and driver aids to make this car appealing though - of course I understand why they are there as 1,000hp is largely undriveable without them

18. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    $750k buys an F8 Tributo, an NSX with the ultra thick layer paint job and the new McLaren GT. But then again one McLaren F1 buys all the Ferrari halo cars, so I guess it’s not suppose to make sense.

19. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Car weights 1800kg.

20. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    what is weight of 812 and aventador then?

21. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Yes, it’s a porker. To be expected being a hybrid without CF tub.

22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I’m just so excited by the prospect of a bunch of rich guys (or “lease rich” guys) driving around with 1000HP under foot on the streets...

But then I realize these expensive ego-strokers will undoubtedly average well less than 1000 miles per year. (Of course everyone here will drive theirs tons, I know. Yet, it is a mystery where all those low mileage used Ferrari’s come from...)

This is the Laferrari for those that could not get access to a Laferrari...smart move by Ferrari to offer this for $600-$700k USD with options. Lotta fans with the cash were turned away from getting a LF. Now they can play. Smart.

23. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    And how much less would it weigh with a carbon tub rather than aluminum sub frame? For many, that would still be considered a heavy car.

24. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    It would weigh about 70kg less. You need to change a lot more to keep it under 1600kg.....

25. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    Fun thought. Suppose they offered the vehicle with a "delete option" where the electric motors, battery pack and associated junk was left out (over 200 kg savings). Then compared to the Pista you would have a more powerful ICE, lower CG, lower overall weight, stiffer body, better brakes, and better aero. It would need a reverse gear so maybe go back to the 7 speed DCT. Could be an attractive package (although it would mess up their product positioning plans).

Makuono likes this.