308 noisy check strap | FerrariChat

308 noisy check strap

Discussion in '308/328' started by luigipan, Sep 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luigipan

luigipan Rookie

Apr 14, 2010
    Hi i have 1985 308 which makes a nasty clanking noise every time i open or close the drivers door
    anyone got any ideas on how to cure this

2. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    Probably the hinge pins. They do tend to wear to the point that they are difficult to remove/replace. Each pin has a grease nipple - I would start with making sure they are lubed. Also, if the circlip holding the pin in place goes away the pins tend to ride up in the hinge which may require removing the nipples and applying (gently) a hammer.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Don't mess with the hinge pins. It is unlikely to be the case. The door stops (that mechanism which holds the door open at a certain position) does have a small pin at the pivot point. The original pin is thin and splits easily, then causes a nasty clank. You may want to inspect it and replace it if it is broken.

4. luigipan

luigipan Rookie

Apr 14, 2010
    thanks for this

5. luigipan

luigipan Rookie

Apr 14, 2010
    thanks for this

6. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    I have been dealing with this awful clunking every time I open or close the driver door. I figured I was going to have to remove the hinge pins. It turns out that the whole problem is caused by the roll pin that holds the check strap to the door. It was completely falling to pieces. A new pin fixed it and it was easy and took almost no time. My only complaint is that it took me almost five years to figure this out.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yep. Welcome to blissfully silent(er) doors. :)

AaronMeisner likes this.
  8. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Aaron:

Where did you get the replacement roll pins? Are they a generic NAPA part?

Many thanks,
    Alan
    N.J.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I bought an assortment box for about $8 at either Lowe's or Harbor Fright... so now I've got another 8 replacements, plus another 48 varieties for friends and family with other cars I suppose.

10. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Per the suggestions above I bought a box of assorted roll-pins at Harbor Freight for $4.99. The old roll-pin came out in two pieces (as expected). Tap-tap-tap...job done in five minutes...no more creaking door!

Thanks, guys!

Alan
    NJ.

11. SDDubbya

SDDubbya Rookie

Aug 10, 2016
    Milton, GA USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Werner
    Aaron, how did you actually get to the pins to replace them? The appear to be in a fairly inaccessible spot.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You hammer the old out with a proper-sized punch, and install in the same manner.

13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Word of caution. It’s very easy to chip the paint on the leading edge of the door when removing the upper hinge pin. Shop around and find a long narrow punch 12” or longer, or a piece of round steel stock the right diameter, take your time. Also helps to spray some penetrant on the hinge pins for a day or two before proceeding. To remove the lower hinge pin l jacked the car up on the driver side and was able to lay on the concrete floor and access it fairly easy. Also used a milk crate and several 2 x 4 pieces with a cloth under the leading door edge to hold the door at the correct height while I removed the pin.

14. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    My mistake. Quickly read the last two previous posts and I thought the discussion had turned to door hinge pins.

15. AaronMeisner

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    Good question. I ran over to the Ace Hardware and bought the closest thing. It turns out that it was a bit to large. I chucked it up in a drill press and sanded the OD down a little and cut it to the correct length. The sensible thing to do is to order one from your friendly Ferrari parts house. I think they cost ten bucks or so.

16. AaronMeisner

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    See that wire with the spade connector? See the check strap below that? See the roll pin holding the check strap to the door itself? THAT is what you are trying to remove. It shouldn't be that hard to get to. Mine had literally broken in half and I was able to pull out the remains with needle nosed pliers.