Would you buy a Spider that has been sitting? | FerrariChat

Would you buy a Spider that has been sitting?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Steinhart, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I'm considering a 2013 458 Spider with 3k miles. Essentially all the miles were put on the first year or so. Since then it has been sitting and taken by flat bed truck to the dealer for service each year. All the services are up to date but not really driven in 5 years!

2. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Have a comprehensive pre-purchase check done on it by a Ferrari dealer or respectable Ferrari trained shop...get new tires in the deal if it passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Sure, in fact I'd pay a premium for it. I just bought a 2013 with 2,500 miles. I think it had an oil change every 300 miles or so. Kind of ridiculous but the car is essentially a new car. I had a plug foul likely because of old gas but otherwise the car is perfect.

By the way, I didn't waste money on a PPI. Ferrari of Washington did all the service. A 10 minute phone call and they told me they knew the car and it was a good car. Unless it was in an accident there's not much that could be wrong.

4. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    thanks, good to know, I will call the Dealer

5. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    yes, I plan to get a PPI, good idea about the tires, didn't think about that

6. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil
    Yes!

Make sure dealer activates 2 year additional warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Clay512TR likes this.
  7. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I'm purchasing from a private party, not a dealer. My understanding is I can have it inspected and purchase a power warranty, which is essentially the same as a CPO warranty, for 5K total including inspection. Ferrari is offering a 2 for 1 on CPO currently: giving 2 years of warranty for the price of 1, but this doesn't apply to non CPO cars.

8. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Sounds great. I did something similar. My suggestion is to get the power warranty and then drive the car like you stole it for a year and hope any issues pop up. In my case, nothing has. (OK, an interior clip failed and cost a few hundred to fix) I have two more months to go, and my goal is to put 4000 miles on this year, and some have been track miles. If the car has no issues, I'm inclined to pass on the warranty for next year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Check the battery. Unless it is new replace it immediately. On both my 458 and 488 I had battery issues, and I kept them on the trickle charger all the time while garaged.

10. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    good advise, thanks

11. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    yes, thank you

12. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    I bought a 2013 spider with 2500 miles on it. It is still under maintenance warranty (Jan 2020). I now have 5000 miles 4 months later and no issues. Due the due diligence as everyone said. My car had original tires (had private party replace) and called dealer who knew car and had no issues so I didnt do ppi either but up to you. The 458 doesnt have many issues. I like buying low miles with good records as I can drive for 2 to 3 years and then sell ( upgrade) with out losing much value. this is my thir Ferrari. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Clay512TR likes this.
  13. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I'd have a really hard time replacing 2,500 miles tires just because of 6 years of age, unless you plan to track the car. Even aggressive street driving, what do you use maybe 25% of the tire's potential compared to a track day? I don't track my Ferraris so am fine to wear these tires until the tread gets low.

14. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    good to hear, I'm adopting a similar strategy :)

beautiful car btw!

I tend to agree, especially if stored in a climate controlled indoor environment

15. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Regarding the tires, depending on the local climate (heat etc) and if the car was stored in a climate controlled environment...5 years could be a big factor from a safety perspective. Not my opinion...check with professionals.

16. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    Agree. I am in AZ and wasn't comfortable with the sidewall strength, even though I don't track the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

wax and Clay512TR like this.
  17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sweet rig bro , I love the color. Safe travels and all the best,Kirk

18. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Agree with this. Tires degrade from sitting, even in good storage climates. Running old dried out tires is not the place to save $$

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Battery and tires. 6yrs is old tech and your life depends on it.