812 VS Rumors | Page 14 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    You really have to love these cars to keep them at these mid 6 to 7 figure numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F2003-GA and crinoid like this.
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It seems like this SF90 could be kept for what two years before you really need to get out...? Time will tell.

3. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I heard no limited edition 812 Tdf. But for me it's even better if they don't make one at all. Personally as of now, I don't see them making one at all.

DRYHOLE and Roland1688 like this.
  4. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Ha! I don't think anyone was dumping their LaF for a TDF.........:confused:

Roland1688 and REALZEUS like this.
  5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    What assumption is that? Ferrari has directly contradicted many years of promoting the idea the future of the V12 is hybrid, they recently stated the absolute opposite. So, Ferrari will not make V12+hybrid(for regular production). I am aware of the FF/Lusso, but a front transaxle is substantially different than electric motors (with the latter require more space of which there is none available), the FF/Lusso are also substantially longer vehicles (wheelbase is 10 inches/254mm longer) than the 812, so they "made room".

And, that is my assumption, Ferrari has only set its course on unassisted V12 not by recognizing that is what they will do, but by eliminating all the other options (turbo,hybrid, downsizing), but, that's not really an assumption because they have left no available alternative.

But, and here is my real assumption, Ferrari will not allow a regular production V8 to be above a regular production V12 in the hierarchy, true the SF90 Stradale will overlap the 812 but only for about 18 months, the 812 replacement will be V8+hybrid (might not be turbo)--that is also an assumption.

When Michael Leiters proclaims to 'fight' for the V12 I think that means 'fighting' regulators to allow an exception for n.a. V12s

https://www.motor1.com/news/313461/ferrari-keep-v12-alive/

I hope I am totally wrong, but, to do so I think Ferrari will need a 7.0L V12 with 1000 HP with AWD (to put even more power down, I think they need to go AWD), what a glorious future that would be!

F12JAJ likes this.
  6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Valkyrie on the other hand sticks with RWD.

7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Don’t be silly. Who wants to replace those batteries at $200k? Several preferred the TDF. It was posted on this site.

Makuono likes this.
  8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    You’re ignoring what Ferrari are saying and doing before or eyes to go with your assumptions. Crack on bro.

Roland1688 likes this.
  9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    a. it's rear engine

b. it generates 4000 pounds downforce

c. it weighs about 2300 pounds

d. it is really a race car for the street:
    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/exclusive-closer-look-ps25m-aston-martin-valkyrie

that certainly all adds up as to why the Valkyrie does not require awd, and it's also a hypercar, I was referring to what Ferrari would potentially do for a regular production car... I am not really detailing any thoughts on Ferrari V12 hypercar futures, so, please know that

10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Ok then, I'm a bit clueless as to what you are referring to, but, sound enough advice, thx

11. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Oh...if it was posted here it must be true then.........:D

Surfah, cesman, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don’t think owners have reason to lie. Think about it. Dealers/brokers and refer to the TDF as an upcoming collector car more than the LaF. Not that the LaF won’t be desired however it’s limited battery life and huge price tag are a great hindrance in the long run.

13. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I think there can be a future for V12 in the standard model range. I am looking at similar scenario like find in Porsche’s line-up. The GT2RS certainly is the extreme performance car with crazy numbers and sitting above the GT3 and GT3RS. The GT3 with its beloved engine on the other side is more focused on experience and emotions. I think most people would agree that the NA flat 6 is what makes a GT3 feel special especially when compared to turbo in the GT2RS. So I think that shows that it is possible also for Ferrari to positon the V8 turbo hybrid above the NA V12. (From a pure marketing perspective and without considering the future of the V12 due to regulations.)

Bas likes this.
  14. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Is it really that expensive ?I asked dealer yesterday and they said more like 50k,which is still a big service item... As a non owner, no idea what the reality is

crinoid likes this.
  15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The point is this.

There's many pages of many threads looking at what info Ferrari have published and their random quotes from here and there. The conclusion based off Ferrari info and quotes is that the V8 got a promotion and is now priced higher than a V12 car. Ferrari just released the SF90 a 1000HP TTV8 AWD Hybrid that's faster than a LaFerrari as a REGULAR production car on a modular platform. The people close to the project are saying it's $500k-$700k base price and the price will be soon confirmed. The platform of the SF90 will then carry over to a TTV6 Hybrid car to be released in a year or two. This fits into what everyone thought based on the info from Ferrari the the non hybrid line of V8's is terminating with the F8 Tributo, hence it's name of tribute to it's ending it's long history and the new platform with two cars a TTV8H and a TTV6H replacing the long line of ME V8's.

You say NOPE the SF90 isn't regular production and will only sell for two years....

OK...

After Ferrari saying in 2015 or so (?) that they would put a hybrid system non turbo on the V12's. Ferrari have said that they're going to do a V12 NA. They've also said there will be a classic V12 2+2 like the old 456 or 612. Granted there's a lot of moving pieces here.

You say NOPE the only V12 will be rear mid engine.

OK...

DRYHOLE and ttforcefed like this.
  16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The info I've received from dealers and brokers is way higher than $50k and closer to $200k. If an owner can shed some light then great.

montpellier likes this.
  17. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Its hardly plugs filter and oil is it... And we used to ***** about timing chain changes

18. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was told by my dealer that they "don't think" a 812 lightweight is in the works. They said with the 812 Spider coming, it will be limited by production capacity (due to all the new cars being introduced in the next 2-3 years) and the front engine two-seater V12 will be phased out (not counting the 2+2 V12 variants).

19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Well, thanks for letting me know, I feel misunderstood...

I just now reviewed what I wrote and cannot locate where I made any prediction of the SF90S production cycle, the "closest" I can find is this where I wrote:

"true the SF90 Stradale will overlap the 812 but only for about 18 months"

To fully form that I would re-write as:

Because SF90S deliveries will commence in approx. 12 months, and for the presumed fact the 812 production will end with MY2021 due to EU2022 regulations recently announced March 27 2019 that require chassis modifications and Ferrari will unlikely be interested in making those investments for one more year of 812 production, that means the SF90s will only overlap 812 production for about 18 months, so for those 18 months the V12, for the first time ever, will not be the flagship during its production.

Ferrari said in 2012:
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/ferrari-confirms-v12-hybrid-future
    by Jim Holder
    23 March 2012
    The future of Ferrari V12s has been secured by hybrid technology that will ensure the company can hit its CO2 targets without having to compromise on engine layout.

As for the "future classic GT", I do recall that from capital markets (Sept. 2018) but do not recall it being specified as a V12:
    https://www.*************/blog/ferrari-to-launch-15-new-models-by-2022-including-its-most-powerful-road-car-ever/

article above wrote this:
    The Gran Turismo range includes the GT4Lusso and Portofino. The lineup of GTs will grow in the future and there are already plans for plug-in hybrid variants. Sticking with the GT theme, Ferrari hinted at the return of an elegant model which has a “unique design inspired by the classic and refined Ferrari Gran Turismo of 1950s and 1960s.” Yes please Ferrari, make it happen.

If that's where the n.a. V12 is used, awesome, but I cannot find any references that it will use a V12

I said the only way the V12 could be hybrid is rear-mid-engine because there is no room up front for the V12+electric motors (did you know the SF90S front trunk is very shallow vis-a-vis the Pista, specifically because of the electric motors). I did not intend to say or imply the only future Ferrari V12 is rear-mid-engine, I don't believe that, it can remain front engine but with current technology it could not be hybrid with front electric drivetrain, well, it could be if it was used in the Purosangue because it would likely be a lot taller and would have the room...maybe the V12 hybrid finds a home there...time will tell, that's not a prediction, just a thought.

I hope that helps clear up what I thought I was communicating. Thanks for letting me know where I was misunderstood. I appreciate it.

of2worlds and crinoid like this.
  20. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    montpellier and crinoid like this.
  21. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    montpellier and crinoid like this.
  22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Time will tell. They could still but batteries in the back and drive front wheels by wire. With a V12 up front. It will be interesting to see what they do after the 812.

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    of2worlds likes this.
  24. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Total BS. TdF and LaFerrari couldn’t even be vaguely compared. Much of the statements on this forum are self-serving.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Surfah, REALZEUS and nads like this.
  25. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If I bought a LaFerrari at MSRP, that means I could have bought a F12 TDF at MSRP, which at 500-575k is pocket change compared to the 1.6-1.8m on the LaFerrari. Why would any LaFerrari owner need to choose between the two or considering trading the LaFerrari for one? Just get both. This sounds like a lot of BS to me.

Surfah, nads and F2003-GA like this.