Buying an early California - Tips please | FerrariChat

Buying an early California - Tips please

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Johnathan James Barrett, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnathan James Barrett

May 27, 2019
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Barrett
    Hi

Looking at buying a California and looking for tips on (1) issues to watch out for and (2) spec changes that maybe not be obvious and (3) options that may be vital/desirable.

Cheers
    John

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    1. Hard top convertible and transmission sensors seem to be the big ticket items that pop up.

2. Around 2013, the Cali got 30 more hp and shed 30 kg. Around 2016, it went turbo.

3. If you're going to keep it a relatively short time, shields seem to be considered vital by many for resale.

T

3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Would just add that the carbon steering wheel also seems to be pretty popular as well.

4. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Budget for the engine mounts to be replaced if they have not been so already.

5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #5 Piper, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  6. Johnathan James Barrett

May 27, 2019
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Barrett
    Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Car looks lovely, shame it’s not on the other side of the pond.

Cheers

7. Johnathan James Barrett

May 27, 2019
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Barrett
    Are there firm views on Magenride?

It seems like the revised cars (2012 onwards) probably don’t need it and it’s not a big benefit on the early cars?

I was staggered how smooth the car was on poor roads in both comfort and sport modes....and roads over here are often appalling.

Does it do much for sporty driving?

8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Go for a Handling Speciale car if you ca find one. It's night and day compared to a base car. Better turning radius and less body roll. It's great!

9. Johnathan James Barrett

May 27, 2019
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Barrett
    I’ve read up some more and I don’t think I had understood the history/specs properly. It seems like the Magneride gets a thumbs up, but that there’s a question mark on the quicker but light steering in the full HS package, in part because the 2012 revised chassis/set-up is so good.

I found the steering in the 2009 car I drove very good and managed on a hairpin to keep my hands in position. It didn’t have magneride dampers so presumably it would be even better with.

My thinking is that I may be better off focusing on allocating cash to getting a 2012 standard car and if I have extra available/pricing permits shoot for magneride as well. This is from the perspective of a European used to tight twisty narrow roads.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ferrari/california/first-drives/ferrari-california-hs-42-v8

10. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I had an early Cali 2009 and a later one 2012 (one of the last, before the Cali 30). There was a significant improvement in the gearbox and handling with the later car. Also, it seemed more solid / better put together, but that may have been because the 2012 car was heavily optioned.

Options such as Magnaride and the carbon steering wheel with LEDs are important, IMHO, particularly when trying to resell. When I sold my 2012 Cali dealers were not particularly interested until I told them about the options the car had, which were pretty much everything including every carbon option, race seats etc.

11. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Helpful hint, you MAY be able to find a Cali30 at a non F-car dealer without them knowing its a 30 and get a major price break. Some very late 2012 models made the Cali30 cut. You can verify by the vin number. The sixth digit in the 30 is a "T" and the base car is "L". So if you search you can find a 2012 Cali 30 with a dealer that doesn't know what they have. I found one this way during my search but the car wasn't up to my levels of OCDism so I passed. I ended up just going for the last year (2014) and went for the one my heart wanted. The weight savings, power increased, and overall bugs worked out is reason enough to go for a 30 if N/A sound is what you're after. The Handling Speciale package is just a bonus and increases rarity.

12. Johnathan James Barrett

May 27, 2019
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Barrett
    Thanks that’s really helpful.
    I guess your late 2012 car had the benefit of the revised engine and the extra torque? It seems like an attractive option if I can’t get to 2012 car.

Re the seats I’m a bit confused. I’ve seen Daytona listed as an option seat, but every car seems to have them unless they have the carbon sports. What do you think of the comfort of the sports? I generally prefer that type but sometimes they have limitations and don’t suit particular heights and widths. I’m 6’2 and cannot be described as skinny!

13. Johnathan James Barrett

May 27, 2019
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Barrett
    Incidentally is there an official or unofficial bible (covering specs/changes/options etc) on the California? Cheers

14. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    You rarely see Cali's with base seats and they look....base as hell. So you know it when you see it. I like the carbon race seats and they are rare and hold a premium but I wouldn't want to sit in them for anymore than an hour and I'm 5' 9".

As far as the Daytonas they offer unique looks. Mine had grey stitching, Alcantara straps and a red cavallino rampante on the head rest. Stunning in person and it's exactly what exotics are all about. They are comfortable for rides over an hour but I still stop and stretch as it's still a sports car at the end of the day and a ffar cry from a luxury sedan.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Read this a couple times in a row to really intake all the info.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_California

16. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Good job Fireman on the seatbelt color change!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks! I'll be making a 6-month ownership post soon. Just want to get some good photos shot with my good camera before I do the writeup.

18. Johnathan James Barrett

May 27, 2019
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Barrett
    Thanks fireman.

I’m looking for a service schedule and the one I found is patently wrong. Any ideas if there’s an official page?

19. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    omdehoek, Avia11, tomc and 1 other person like this.
  20. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    Attached pdf of all California 2012 options.

Attached Files:

21. Johnathan James Barrett

May 27, 2019
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Barrett
    Gorgeous!

22. Johnathan James Barrett

May 27, 2019
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Barrett
    Cheers

23. omdehoek

omdehoek Rookie

Jul 8, 2014
    Chicago Burb
    The one I fell for had a carbon fiber console bridge and diamond stitching.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. omdehoek

omdehoek Rookie

Jul 8, 2014
    Chicago Burb
    tomc and Federal man like this.
  25. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I had Daytonas in Cuioi. Looked great and comfortable for daily driving.