430 - Noticed a red fluid drip left rear after service | FerrariChat

430 Noticed a red fluid drip left rear after service

Discussion in '360/430' started by fga4, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    Just had my annual a month ago and they changed all fluids. I did a shakedown drive of about 50 miles and noticed no problems but after a second drive of about 40 miles I noticed about 10 drops of red fluid which I assume is ATF. dripped about 4 inches inside the back of the right rear tire. I wiped it up and it appears to have stopped as the car cooled. I know the transmission plugs are on the other side of the transmission. Wondering if the mechanic screwed up something before I bring it back. 2008 F1 F430 20k miles. Any ideas appreciated.

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Probably no worries, the overflow for the F1 fluid is at the right rear tire. Once leveled it will stop, pretty common.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    This is the f1 fluid ..common issue is that they overfill the resovoir ..this would be the case if the fluid is coming from the left rear .. it is a tricking measurement but it kinda self adjusts by spilling some out and eventually stops

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I overfilled it once on my 360 and the fluid starts flowing along the inside of the chassis frame. That was too close to the CAT for my comfort. I took a turkey baster and siphon some off just to be on the safe side. I also mopped up the remaining fluid around the area. All it takes is a few drops hitting the CAT and you got yourself a car-b-que.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That should have said right rear.. still learning my left from my right

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    Thanks Dicecal/Flash and the other posters. I keep an eye on it for the next few runs.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

flash32 likes this.
  7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The shop set the fluid level in the fluid reservoir for the F1 system incorrectly. Initially Ferrari did not help matters by using a generic fluid reservoir for the F1 system that incorporated a level dipstick on the cap (which sets the fluid at the incorrect level), and then printed incorrect instructions for setting the level in the manual.

Ferrari later released a technical service bulletin outlining the proper method and height of the fluid level. The F1 fluid level should be only 5mm above the metal plate at the bottom of the fluid reservoir after the F1 pump has run, charging the fluid accumulator full of fluid.

When the fluid level is set incorrectly using the dipstick, it is fairly close to the top of the reservoir. After the car has been shut off, the fluid that has been stored under pressure in the accumulator slowly leaks back into the reservoir causing it to overflow and make a mess of the inside of the RR. corner of the engine compartment.

The shop should set the F1 fluid level correctly and clean up the oil that has leaked all over the RR. corner of the car.