Um, power steering? | FerrariChat

Um, power steering?

Discussion in '308/328' started by MaranelloDave, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi all, sacrilegious I know, but I've been considering adding light power assistance to my 308. Has anyone done the same on their 308? Anyone know of a reputable company that provides a good solution that would work for the car?

My thinking is that it would be nice to have some power assistance, especially at low speeds. I wouldn't want a lot of power, just enough to make it less arduous to turn the wheel. I don't know if they make this, but it would be great to have power assistance that is linear and inversely proportional to speed. So, the greatest assistance would be provided at 0 mph and it would taper off as you move toward typical road speeds.

If I went this route, it would have to be (1) completely reversible (this is a must for any mods I make) and (2) not too heavy.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I installed the EZ power steering when I changed the rack for a fast ratio, and put on a smaller steering wheel. It's reversible, but you need to cut a hole through the firewall above the middle section of the column to fit the motor. I installed it myself, to ensure a neat job. Absolutely invisible, and works like a charm. Assistance tapers to zero at about 35kph. The fast rack transforms the car.

hyenahf likes this.
  4. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    But you will lose the Fangio shoulders sore feeling when arriving home after another victorius journey on the road
    :)

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
  6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great, thanks!

This sounds like a good option. I already have the fast steering rack and it is hard to turn in a parking situation. I think I could live with an extra hole in the firewall. It's not like this is a race-winning 250 SWB.

Looks like these guys are in the Netherlands. Are you in Europe or the US? Wondering about how this might complicate things as I am in the US. Also, how much was the system? I didn't see a price on the website.

7. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Haha, it definitely is an "arms day" when I take her out.

8. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    If you think you need power steering in a 308 / 328 , you out to sell your car ...Thats like asking if there is an automatic gearbox that you can install,,,The world has really gone insane,

9. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I don't NEED power steering, or a fast rack, or a smaller steering wheel, or HID headlights, or LED tail lights, or remote central locking, or adjustable, stiffer suspension, or a space-saver spare, or Schedoni luggage, or 17" Compomotive wheels, or better air conditioning, or a custom exhaust... in fact, I don't need a Ferrari at all. But I've got one (more than one), and I'll do what I damn well want with it. I also don't need to correct your spelling, but I will - the word is "ought"

greg328, ginoBBi512, sltillim and 3 others like this.
  10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Thank you for the spell, I knew that,,,lol

11. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    yes the world has gone insane... every F1 car on the grid has power steering for a long long while
    now. they started putting them in around 94

12. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Two different applications all together IF you have trouble steering your 328 / 328 you OUGHT to sell your car Im playing devils advocate so its not personal , maybe your to weak or to old OR YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE THESE CARS lol The entire experience of these cars are the NON POWER STEERING rack and pinion, It links you right to all of the wheels FOR MAXIMUM FEEDBACK, not only from the steering,but from the suspension. In modern day F1 cars, the drivers are pulling maximum Gs for 1.5 hours in a much larger chassis so a little help from whatever power assisted steering they are using helps but I assure you, whatever system they use it does not take away from the feedback these drivers are feeling for. This would negate the entire drivers experience in a 348 ,328 ,512, 308, F40 . Im not sure about the Testa Rossa or F50 . The 328 / 308 have EXCELLENT MECHANICAL GRIP and such resistance on the steering wheel is perfect . I had the chance to drive a 355, I believe this has a power assist unit Ferrari got it right because it felt really good all around and I could tell you that this car has excellent mechanical grip and excellent feedback, but the 355 is also a very different machine. Im not sure what schedoni luggage has to do with this lol except that its a complete waste of money. lol But like he said whichever makes you happy. Maybe someone will come up with an auto gearbox so u dont have to shift anymore, wouldnt that be nice !!

Thank you

13. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The standard steering isn't that great on these things - the design of the chassis and suspension is 40+ years old. As most of us know, they're no match for any modern car. BTW, my 50+ year old Lotus Elan has better suspension and steering. I used to have a series 1 Lotus Elise (now 23 years old). After driving that, the Ferrari felt like a truck. The power steering has given a new life to the QV, enabling me to instal the fast rack and wind up the castor, which really makes the car feel a lot more lively and responsive. It doesn't negate any "drivers (sic) experience" - I know, because I've driven both.

hyenahf and dflett like this.
  14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Interesting comments. While I would like some help turning the wheels when the car is sitting still, I hadn't thought of the other benefits.

It seems though that it is question about what of the car's eccentricities are unfavorable. Its partially some sort of Stockholm Syndrome effect but I've gotten quite accustomed to the slow steering rack and no longer mind it at all. Likewise the castor, which presumably causes all of the kick-back to the steering wheel, now seems more like part of the car's character than a defect.

I understand your preference for power steering. It is just personal preference.

15. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've had many cars without PS, including a 911 and a Camaro ('73 with a stick and 350). The trick is to keep the car moving. As long as there is some roll, PS isn't necessary. Trying to crank the wheel when stopped is a pain though. I find myself only moving the wheel while rolling even in cars with PS. Less wear and tear on the equipment.

mwr4440 likes this.
  16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    You bring back memories of my wife, who is 5'0", driving my 1957 Ford. The steering wheel was so big, she looked through the space between the dashboard and the steering wheel. She muscled that front engine, non-PS, 3-speed manual just fine though (… although she may say differently).

17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Ferrari designed the 308 / 328 with Laudas input, which makes the car an even greater driving machine right from the factory . The only change I would make, and I did, is to use 17 inch wheels from a newer F Car, which makes the resistance and feedback through the wheels even greater. Any " buffer" thats between the factory steering rack and the steering wheel is going to diminish the feel that Ferrari has built into the design of these machines, no matter what any body else says about PS. I know because I have driven my 328 for 20 years and 128 km / 80 k miles . My friends 08 Twin Turbo is a great car, I believe with EPS , I have driven this car and my 328 has greater feedback through the steering wheel. Im sure a Porsche GT3 would be one of the ultimate cars to drive these days from what I have read . Good subject and as usual another great F Chat thread.

Thank you

18. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    "EZ' is easy to deal with, the kits are easy to install. I have them in my Ghibli and Daytona. They transform the cars. Talk to them, they were prompt and easy.

MaranelloDave likes this.
  19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I found that when the 328 became my daily driver in Maryland from '08-17, my interest in power steering went from none to "why the H#LL doesn't this dang car have power steering?" Parallel parking in Annapolis and just generally operating regularly in the Home Depot and Safeway parking lots changed my view! :)

FWIW, people look at you funny when you drive as 328 out of the Home Depot parking lot with 2x4s sticking out of the window! ;)

20. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Saw a guy picking up building material items in his Lamborghini Countach (real deal) at the Kalispell Montana Lowe’s. Big thumbs up and lots of smiles.
    Bet you made some people’s day.

21. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm getting it installed at the next service, but I'm not getting the speed sensitive version. I'm getting the effort sensitive version.

22. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    que?

23. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    If there's something you feel you would get a benefit from, its your car and do what you want. It's not like this ruins the entire integrity of the vehicle. It is really for the low speed city and parking lot moments when something will help. If you care about winning a concourse, don't do it. If you like your driver, go for it! I also guess with the fast rack it is really needed. I am eventually going this route.

24. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have the fast rack and power steering is not really needed, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I actually have less of a problem at low speed and more of a problem when it loads up during high speed cornering,which is why I don't want the speed sensitive version.

25. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Like you've ever done high speed cornering... :p