the F40 is undervalued | FerrariChat

the F40 is undervalued

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    looking around these days, you see that cars like the pista are valued at nearly $600k, the speciale is about 300k, the 288gto is at $2.5 mil, etc etc.

in the stack and spectrum of ferrari icons, the F40 at around $1.2 mil average seems undervalued to me.

yes, i am biased of course, but at the same time i am not keen to have to pay a higher insurance premium. so my thoughts are genuine.

yes, you can show me that the run of F40's is 1315 or so, and thus not at the same level as the fewer made 288's or the f50's, but neither carry the same reputation or following of the F40.

the F40 should be at $2 mil or higher. imo.

discuss

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don’t hold myself out as a car valuation expert however my business sense has worked well for me over the years so here are my general thoughts and observations.

Value is a funny thing, 1,315 is a pretty big run of cars. Also with that many cars if the price starts to go up say $100k there are 1314 folks (other than yourself) that might make their car available at say $1.3 mil. So to really drive value I think you would need a significant group both lusting for a F40 and also having the pocket book to satisfy that desire.

My general feeling about the higher dollar classic and historic market is that it is kind of flat right now except for the Unicorns which seem to go for unheard of prices. The lower dollar cars say under $50k-$100k seems to be doing OK since most of the retiring baby boomers and afford one or two of those cars. But the higher dollar cars, lower volume model runs, seem to be flat or even down a bit over a couple of years ago.

Also as the collector’s age, I think you may see some collections selling off so as not to leave their family/estate to deal with a collection, since the heirs don't share the same passion/interest. Not everyone who can afford that kind of car value wants an older classic, even a Ferrari, they may prefer a newer Fcar with more tech, more reliable, faster and they could have a couple. Most of the real collector cars are garage queens or at least special event cars especially Fcars where no one wants to put any miles on them.

So in the near term I think the value of the F40 is equally likely to go down before it ultimately goes up which seems correct just due to inflation. So there is one opinion I could be wrong.:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3POINT8, DGPF, VPX and 4 others like this.
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The thread title should have read - The F40 Was Over Produced.

climb, lee88, Rory J and 11 others like this.
  4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I am not an expert either but have been following Ferraris since I bough my first one in the early 80's. I remember thinking the same when in 1989 testarossas were changing hands at nearly €800k cars at the height of the bubble, and I couldn't believe I had collected mine new from the dealer a year earlier and had paid less than 20% of that. The older Ferrari's looked dirt cheap by comparison then.

Well, I am sure you know the rest. So I would say what we are seeing today is a less extreme version of that, but the pricing of today's Pistas, SF90s etc will not push the older cars up. Just that the new cars will depreciate faster since Ferrari's has now got in on the bubble with its new pricing strategy once they have flooded the market with a new model every other month.

Ironically, the relative over-production of the F40 (vs 500 originally stated) has made ownership possible for many people. Some great Ferraris being produced today will bargains of tomorrow if we are still allowed to drive them).

spyderman likes this.
  5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    From memory, you purchased yours a good few years ago now, so the easy question is if you did not currently own one, would you pay 2 million dollars here and now for one? if not then there is your answer as to why they have not reached that level.

joe sackey, Rory J, randkin and 7 others like this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    f40 will be 5m one day

7. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Tulips!

There were only 378 Challenge Stradales made. Should I also be allowed to have such crazy dreams?

randkin, DGPF, Bradwilliams and 2 others like this.
  8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Reputation helps with status and desirability but production numbers do make a big difference with values.

The GTO has iconic status too, it is the First of the Supercar series and always will be, it's stunningly beautiful, and it is almost @ 5 times as rare as an F40.

The F50 has F1 heritage, is the last manual gearbox Ferrari Supercar, and it is almost @ 4 times as rare as an F40.

The free market always sets it's own level, and whilst many cars are often valued at a level that is seemingly unfair or illogical, if a change up or down is truly warranted, it'll happen.

That's actually a very fair question and conclusion.

DGPF, MK1044, Makuono and 2 others like this.
  9. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Not sure why anyone would want prices any higher, or even as high as they are now, anyway. Unless you need to sell up and not buy anything else again all it does is increase every aspect of ownership from purchase, through parts and insurance to taxes and for me at least, limit the enjoyment of actually driving them with any enthusiasm. Bring on the crash I say!

10. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I think it would also be fair to say that if Ferrari had restricted the number of F40s produced to similar runs as the GTO and F50, then the F40 would now be the most valuable of the 3.

imahorse, MK1044, randkin and 2 others like this.
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thats a ridiculous statement. At end of day the cs is a 360 and they made thousands. I love my cs but to compare it to an f40 makes non sense. The f40 was a supercar - cs a special edition version of production car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.
    You cannot beat the legendary three letters "GTO". That's what you pay for as well.

Marcel Massini

Supernaut, LARRYH and roma1280 like this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Unfort gto looks like a 328. If they made a tenth of the f40s it wld be worth 10x.

flat_plane_eddie, dmark1 and BarryK like this.
  14. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Lots of things will be 5m one day as governments keep printing money. I’m sure the F40 will do fine, it’s an iconic car...

spyderman, DGPF, Modena_2003 and 2 others like this.
  15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    A few comments:

The 288 is about a $2.5 mil car now, and the F50 is nearly at that price too. So if build number is such a factor, then why aren’t they 5x the price of an F40?

You may think this is a facile and cheeky thing to say, but my guess is that they are not valued any higher than they are because they are not adored by the same number of people that adore the F40. As others have said; the 288 looks great, just like the 308 looked great....and the f50 tub-engine connection gives it an awful ride, but at least the top comes off. I would love to own either or both, but their prices don’t stack up logically in this discussion either- they should be higher too.

Total number of 360cs produced is closer to 1280, and just as the F40 is now fungible WW, so will the cs be some day. So hiding behind the 378 delivered originally to the usa won’t get you far.

There are not just Ferrari’s to take into account in the valuation stack.....
    A 1994 Toyota Supra brought $174k at Amelia. It had 11200 miles on it, and was in good shape, but part of a run of 34,275 total produced.

Meanwhile, a very nice ‘92 512tr, (one of about 2200 total produced), albeit with 46 k miles just sold on BAT for about $150k.

Square that circle.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

spyderman and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It comes down to supply and demand. I don't really know what else to say. There are many factors that drive both sides of those with the demand side having more variation (too many to list here). Supply side won't change much unless lots of F40s get destroyed or locked up in a collection never to be sold.

VPX and joe sackey like this.
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I agree that's entirely possible, although it's a hypothetical situation which is not the reality so we'll never know.

Correct.

True, plus you have to remember that the 288 GTO is an FIA Homologation run of cars built with Motorsport intent.

It looks nothing like a 308 or a 328, the occasional dismissive statements that are made by some in that vein only speak to a lack of appreciation for design shapes, lines, stance and specification.

A 288 GTO can be spotted from a great distance with it's unique wide & muscular shoulders, flying flag mirrors and quad driving lamps, in fact ot looks like no other Ferrari.

288 GTOs are actually more like from $2.5m to $3.5m

F50s are actually more like from $2m to 3m.

I trade both fairly regularly.

Again, the GTO looks nothing like a 308 or a 328.

I think the bottom line is, whatever the reason is that F40s are not valued any higher than they are is determined by a healthy market ( which is a mix of Private Treaty sales, Auction sales, Dealer sales etc etc) and as we all know, for whatever reasons, the market speaks and sets it's own levels.

Ignore high-production cars that suddenly bring huge values, I've watched the sports car market closely for @ 35 years and I can tell you those outlier results are not sustainable. The F40's value on the other hand has been pretty stable and sold for years, and anyone who owns a nice example has benefited from it's steady increase in value and overall market stability.

giacobbelaw, DGPF, spyderman and 4 others like this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    9 out of 10 people cant tell the difference between a 328 and 288. 10/10 can tell difference between f40 and 328.

bamaman, VColin, junc and 7 others like this.
  19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Joe, i like you, so it is with the utmost respect that i tell you that your first sentence above is self serving bs :)

i am happy that the 288 and F50 are worth even more than i thought, but my point can still be valid in a way....why are these two cars not $5-7 mil? after all their production run is 5x times less than the f40, so according to all those who have offered up the build number as reasoning, i guess it doesnt really follow one for one...

20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #20 ross, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    the last comment i made doesnt seem to have elicited any reaction....

a 94 toyota supra at $174k, vs a 92 512tr at $150......

one, or both, of these is wrongly valued.

c8spidey, Bradwilliams and sixcarbs like this.
  21. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #21 rmolke85, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    I think the car is misunderstood in the American market somewhat. It is kind of misleading just saying there are 1300 cars..... In other makes there are nuanced differences in cars sometimes and people put them into series. My view is the car should be broken out a bit further than just 1300 cars. Especially important because you can now import.

-Plexi Window Cars
    -Non-Cat/Non-Adjustable
    -Mixed Cat and Adjustable's
    -USA cars

They are all different.

My favorite, FIA Group B homologation #293 spec with Plexi-WIndows like the racecar for the road it was intended to be. Yes I am biased but also glad they were not $2m.

https://historicdb.fia.com/car/ferrari-f40-2936

joe sackey likes this.
  22. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's simply incorrect within the car community, and it's like saying people cant tell the difference between an F40 and an F50, sure these cars being compared have a passing resemblance, but they are instantly recognizable fir what they have.

I don't think my sentence is self-serving BS at all, but a thread started by F40 owner for the purpose of trying to talk up values might be!

We've seen this before, it doesn't work.

Just to be clear, I could give a Flying F40 what current values are, values can go up, down, or sideways, that said I have every confidence the market gets it right for most iconic Supercars.

Perhaps you missed my comment above:
    "Ignore high-production cars that suddenly bring huge values, I've watched the sports car market closely for @ 35 years and I can tell you those outlier results are not sustainable. The F40's value on the other hand has been pretty stable and sold for years, and anyone who owns a nice example has benefited from it's steady increase in value and overall market stability."

211 cars.

DK are good guys, but they should have done the research on this one, they specialize in F40s so you;d think they know this by heart..

Bradwilliams likes this.
  24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i actually dont want the the f40 to get higher in value at the moment - it would just cost me more to insure.
    but i will concede that if it did rise, i would benefit in the end.
    but at the same time, i think virtually every ferrari guy will disagree with your statement that the 288 has nothing to do with the 308..... :)

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U are right!