Need help picking a used F12 | FerrariChat

Need help picking a used F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by sl55, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    I drove "by mistake" an F12 this week end and decided to start looking for a car to buy. I got rid of my 650S 1-2 month ago, and liked the way the F12 was a more "mature" experience then the standard mid/rear engine cars.

Anyways I went on Autotrader and came up with these 2 as an option:

Option A) High option/customized and fun: Grigio Ferro, maybe too dark what do you guys think?

And I like the fun interior and alcantara, but are your thought of the actual color (never seen in person)

The price is high but being on consignment there maybe a way to bring it to a more reasonable number.

What would be a good price for this car?

This is the link: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=511387821&zip=85255&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=85255&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&incremental=all&firstRecord=50&marketExtension=on&modelCodeList=FERF12BERL&makeCodeList=FER&searchRadius=0&numRecords=25&firstRecord=50&modelCodeList=FERF12BERL&makeCodeList=FER&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FER&modelCode1=FERF12BERL&clickType=listing

Option B:

A grigio titanio w/ black interior. I am not a big fan of the black interior.

The price is much lower but it has more miles and less options.

Here is the link: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=514996905&zip=85255&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D85255%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26modelCodeList%3DFERF12BERL%26makeCodeList%3DFER%26searchRadius%3D0&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=FERF12BERL&makeCodeList=FER&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FER&modelCode1=FERF12BERL&clickType=listing

What car do you feel is better?

Any other cars you may know for sale in a grey color?

Thanks

2. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    when I was looking I found the FNA site and Cargurus good sources.

3. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Any feedback on the blue interior?

4. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ

Attached Files:

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    since you asked: i like the uniqueness of the blue interior. the diamond stitching is great. i'm not sure it matches the exterior color and it may be difficult to live with on a daily basis.

Garretto likes this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I agree. Diamond stitching makes the interior just a fun and elegant place to be, not that an F12 needs much help in that regard. One thing on the GF car - no shields? If you're gonna keep and drive the wheels off it - not an issue, but the folklore is that it helps resale. Likewise, a blue interior might make it hard on resale. But, if it's your dream car, go for it!
    T

7. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    I tend to agree with it not matching the exterior (the living with it for me is OK, maybe easier then a black interior).

But one of my favorite Porsche 911 combo is the GT silver with the blue interior, so in theory this should work. maybe the pictures are making the interior look too dark and close to the outside color.

8. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    The no shield part has its advantages in terms of making the car less noticeable. One thing I am not looking for is attraction, just a selfish experience!

Teght likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Totally with you on that. If have preferred a no -shield Ferrari, but couldn't find one in a asked I liked when I was hunting. The colors on those two will help keep it stealth, at least until you hit the accelerator and that V12 barks to life!
    Best of luck...T

Teght likes this.
  10. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    of2worlds likes this.
  11. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Because you asked

Regarding Option 1.
    Seen a Grigio Ferro F12 several times in the flesh. Looks sophisticated but not sure it's worth the premium compared to Silverstone. The difference is more noticeable in direct sunlight, less so in the shade where both colors look muted.

I love the blue interior but not with Grigio Ferro. On Bianco Avus it would work with a nautical motif, doesn't flow with Ferro IMO.

Option 2.
    Grigio Titanio on black looked fantastic on my 458 Spider. Doesn't look as good on the F12.

12. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Also the local car I drive was Rosso corsa / cuio

The Rosso on the 2 seater v12 I never liked 550, 599 etc

13. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 Adamas, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I rarely opine on these threads, but since you asked- that blue interior is Death, especially if resale is a consideration. The car looks great sans Shields, although the absence of shields is also bad for resale (if you care), but pretty easily remedied for those who want them.

My F12 is CdF, my 458 is GS, and my 360 is GT- I hope that seeing them in proximity helps with your decision. You'll likely find the Fchat community very helpful with opinions, pics, etc. I love Grigio Ferro- I like the CdF, but IMO it's not worth the premium over GS.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards

Mike

Attached Files:

of2worlds and ANOpax like this.
  14. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    To chime in and having been through this exact search 6-7 months ago.

The blue interior is very subjective, if you are not worried about resale (as others mentioned) go for it - but this is a HARD resale, as it is not what most people would like.

The second is the safer choice, however there are a few options that it is missing that may be of interest (Passenger display) not that important, but a novelty. It also does not look like it has the front camera, which I find helpful at times. But has the front end lift, which I would not get a car without it. (Looks like both have that).

There are plenty for sale and come up daily at the similar price these are, wait for the one you absolutely want. Also, if you can snag one from Ferrari of Houston (or other that will CPO it for 2 years) for the same cost, gives you a bit of piece of mind.

I bought mine with PPI with 2800 miles but no CPO warranty. Got it in December. After having it a few months and during my annual free maintenance in april. I had a few nits and nats that I did not like and wanted corrected (A Led light on the top center counsel flickered), NVO board for the turn signals was wonky and working randomly and a few other small areas I wanted corrected. I spent 4K making it right. Also did the full clear wrap (Dealer did that), and spent some extra dollars on the engine carbon fiber and door sills (I bought and installed those). Another larger dollar amount. But the car was exactly to my spec on all options that were normal, and what I wanted.

Bottom line, get want you want, options colors and all.

Junaid10a and ANOpax like this.
  15. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    So, there’s lots of good advice above and as usual, the Fchat community is spot on.

My 2c is that;

1) if the car is going to be a keeper, you should buy the car that pleases you, not one which will please the next owner.
    2) disregard 1) if you’re planning to keep the car less than a year or two.

Things like the resale of the blue interior come into play at this point. Ironically, if you like it and plan to keep the car, this plays into your hands at purchase time as you can drive a hard bargain.

We faced exactly the same conundrum when buying our FF and went with our hearts. Red is not an easy resale but the car is a keeper and we love it. My wife says it’s like driving around inside an Italian handbag!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yes, Its really really cool.

17. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    I just FaceTime with the dealer on the blue interior car and I like both color GF and blue medio separately but not together, it just doesn't work

18. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    ewright likes this.
  19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'm suspicious because I have a Grigio Ferro F12. I really like this historical color and the nuances it shows under different light conditions. Below I post some pictures of mine in order that you can figure what I mean. This color was an expensive option when the car was ordered new and always be a positive factor should you decide to sell it one day.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11, of2worlds and ANOpax like this.
  20. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Thank you MDEL, yes I like the color as well, but in my case the blue interior doesn't really complement it.

I have been looking at online pictures for a while and with your pictures as well, I completely understand how this paint can change drastically with lighting, which is a positive.

I am not leaning towards the GS with Beige interior, I like the contrast and love the beige interior. The GS is a bit too dark IMO, but being living in Arizona, we have full sun almost every day which make the car paint as bright as they get.

Not 100% yet.

21. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Today I went to my local dealership and looked at the Rosso corsa again and decided against it, I love the color, but I really want this car to be less flashy, it is also a lot of "red" real estate on a big car.

The one dealer that has the Grigio Silverstone texted me a picture taken from his phone, and I really love the way the car looks and beige is also one of my favorite interior.

Options are:

"AFS System, Aluminum Brake Calipers, Chrome Front Grill, Carbon Fiber Driving Zone, Carbon Fiber Central Bridge, Carbon Fiber Rear Bench, Carbon Fiber Cup Holder, Cruise Control, Carbon Fiber Dash, Beige Daytona Style Seats, Suspension Lifter, Scuderia Ferrari Shields, Inn/Out Electric Mirrors + HomeLink, Parking Camera, Dual View Front Parking Camera, Passenger Display, 20 Forged Diamond Rims, Full Electric Seats, Beige Leather Headliner, Satellite Radio, High Power HiFi System, and Michelin Tires"

It is a 2014 car with 7,900 miles, CPO car, 1 owner car.

Here is the dealer pic:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, sidewalk and tomc like this.
  22. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Gorgeous color combo.. Great options.. What price?

That looks like Coulio rather than beige traditionale but hard to tell with the photos..

Not that it makes a difference, as all years were fundamentally the same... but that is a very late 14. The 60 anniversary badges were mid 14 productions. PS. My 14 does not have it, but mine was a 13 manufacturing date

of2worlds likes this.
  23. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The GS/Cuoio car has a good spec with a lot of carbon in the interior which makes the interiors feel really special IMO. The contrast with the black carpets is also nice. I’d have gone for black piping or stitching on the leather as well to really set it all off but you can’t have everything I guess ...

If you’re comfortable with the price and you like it, buy it. Resale will be easy with this one.