Is Oahu a terrible place to own a sports car? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Is Oahu a terrible place to own a sports car?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Golden Steed, Oct 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I know! It was like a transfer area with railroad cars and tanker trucks, no signs to indicate what the facility was supposed to be! The only other time I experienced something like that was when I hiked, heading into in the wind, for 1/2 hour to see a volcanic vent and the sulphuric acid mixed with rain droplets burned off the coating from my new Oakley sunglasses! But this was just one 50 yrd run through a cloud on the ground! Less than 10 seconds of exposure!!!!

2. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Yes, yes I know. He's a menace and all that. I get it. But it still looks like fun though...

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I'm living in LA right now temporarily, but Honolulu is home for me and has been for the past 16 years. Had my .2 GT3 up here in LA, and plan on moving back home later this year. I just sold my GT3 & ordered a 488 GTB. The plan is to bring it back home with me :)

I only have experience on Oahu where I didn't spend as much time as I should have trying to find new roads to cruise and enjoy (or just get out of town), but it is a very compromised place for a high end sports car or anything fast. Cops everywhere (not necessarily a bad thing), roads are absolutely terrible for the most part, speed limits lower than the rest of the country, with a more slow/family & ohana/be kind to your fellow motorists approach to driving (also not a bad thing). I'm setting my own expectations very very low with how my 488 will be used back home, versus here in LA.

That being said, I miss home, I miss the food, I miss the people and that is why I'll accept the cons with the pros to having my Fcar with me in Honolulu rather than LA (where I have yet to experience better driving roads, car culture, and car weather/climate for that matter anywhere else in my entire life)

Golden Steed likes this.
  4. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    It will be great to have you and your 488 here on Oahu! The Ferrari Club is doing well and having monthly outings here. I think you will enjoy both your car and the car culture in Honolulu, even if it is not LA!

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Nice vid buddy!

Golden Steed likes this.
  6. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    What amazingly beautiful weather we are having! It makes me forget all the disadvantages to driving in Oahu. I hope everyone here has a chance to get out and enjoy the island this weekend. I can't imagine a more beautiful place to be driving (particularly a convertible) than Oahu today.

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Bob, it is rather warm today.

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  8. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Funny! I grew up in Texas, so "rather warm" starts at about 100 F for me!

willrace likes this.
  9. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    are there any car storage boutiques on island? I want to bring an aperta over, but with all the salt on the windward side I'm a little concerned about it, and would prefer it stay in town or west side.....well maybe just in town, and not west side on second thought haha.

10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    There is a place in Kapolei that stores cars. They ship cars as well.

https://www.pashahawaii.com/services/hawaii-storage/overview

I would get a house with a fully enclosed garage.

11. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Yea, I want to buy one in Hawaii Kai for the dock space. We are in Kailua now, on the beach and water table is at 7ft.

12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    There is Auto Perfection in Kakaako. They are a detailing shop with storage racks. The last I heard, they charge $700 a month for storage. Other storage places offer car storage, but it is $500+ per month.

13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I can, I own a condo there and it's a ****-h@le with homeless people everywhere, bad roads, bad traffic, bad food... If I didn;t make money on my condo rental I'd never own or live there

14. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Were you in Oahu today, Chip? Like I said, the weather was beautiful and made me forget the disadvantages of driving in Oahu. I’m sorry you don’t like the place; there are others that agree with you and leave. That’s fine. To me, it remains an extraordinary place, both physically beautiful and culturally remarkable.

But it is obviously not the right place for you. Aloha.

15. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  16. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime

17. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Ran away from this thread a while back...revisited and saw these videos of people driving Ferrari’s, bikes, etc, fast for a couple of minutes at a time on some tiny roads, many of which I have driven. I think it’s just silly, never mind dangerous. The idea of living in Hawai’i to drive a Ferrari fast on Tantalus is the epitome of waste. When I’m home, the LAST thing I want to do is drive. There’s so much to this place. Cars and fun driving just aren’t part of it...at least on O’ahu.

nmcclure and Bob in Makiki like this.
  18. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Just to throw more confusion into the mix: here's a guy who built a 200 mph car on Oahu...

Seems to have spent some time pushing heavy things around as well...

19. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That is a rather shallow review of a at least, interesting build. From a car guy perspective, which I assume this type of video is aimed at, the feature fails to mention some key items. Mainly it is clearly a FD Mazda RX-7 and no mention of what the power plant is under the hood. I am actually surprised I have never seen this car on the road on Oahu.

Doc_K likes this.
  20. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Sooo.....who owns the bright bright baby blue Bentley convertible I saw in kailua yesterday?

21. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    #71 Doc_K, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Hawaii is not a terrible place to own a sportscar. My M5 was a blast, as you can see in this video I linked. This is in Kailua. There are a few roads there that have twisties and you can have some fun. The highways are great at night time. Yes, I had some speeding tickets there, but no more than anyone else who drives a fast car. Oahu is a gorgeous place filled with many supercars that get hidden away. I still love it there and while yes, Cali is way better for sportscar owners, you can still have a blast in Hawaii. Do what a gentleman in Hawaii I know does. Once a year, he takes his Aston Martin to California and drives it through the twisties for a whole two weeks and gets it all out of his system. Also, as Forza said, 180 is definitely possible.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Golden Steed likes this.
  22. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Also, for the gentleman that posted the Tantalus video, I'm sure the people there are quite used to hearing cars as that's where all of the teenager Honda types go to race in the middle of the night.

Golden Steed likes this.
  23. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Oh that commentary, I had the opportunity to open up my car for a little fun in "Mexico".

Brother when I hit those quotations I fell out.:D

24. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    That's my ride. Still frustrating though, slow drivers, terrible roads,...or should I say tearable. The potholes have taken out one tire. And then the strangest tire issue ever, just two weeks ago, I found a nail in the left front sidewall...up about three inches. I have no idea how that happened.

We must have some of the worst kept roads, but hey, at least we pay a lot in DMV fees. ;-)

25. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    That's called vandalism. You forgot to mention the idiots.