430 - Mice Can Stop Your Ride | FerrariChat

430 Mice Can Stop Your Ride

Discussion in '360/430' started by ilappassionatodicavallino, Jun 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    Hello, everyone.

I’d like to share a problem related to keeping a Ferrari (actually any vehicle) in a rural, wooded area. A while back, the AUTO function on my '06 F430 Coupe F1 System stopped functioning. The AUTO light in the lower part of the F1 Gear Display would not illuminate and the transmission would not shift on its own without paddle input. So, AUTO mode is Tango Uniform. Broke out my little X431 Diagnostic Tool (good for some things, not so good for other things). No transmission faults were indicated and the tool indicated that the system was staying in manual mode regardless of how many times the AUTO button was actuated. So, next suspect is the AUTO button itself. Pulled the F1 Gearbox Control Panel (Digitek) out of the console, consulted the wiring data (Many thanks, FChat members). The wiring data indicates that a signal is received at pin "E" of connector XZ02 of the F1 Gearbox Control Panel from pin "25" of connector E042-B at the Transmission Control ECU, behind the passenger seat (LHD). The wire that carries the signal is colored pink and the D325 AUTO /F1 Mode Control Switch simply provides a momentary ground for the pink wire through grounding point G306-B, located on the chassis behind the driver's seat. Continuity through the Mode Control was normal, so the switch is good. A power check at pin "E" on the control panel connector XZ02 showed zero volts with the system powered up. So, there is a problem at the TCU or there is a problem with that pink wire. With vehicle power disconnected and the F1 Control Panel disconnected, I checked the continuity of the pink wire from pin 25 of the disconnected E042-B connector at TCU and pin "E" of the XZ02 connector at the control panel. No continuity. Broken pink wire; somewhere.

Now to find the break. Pull both seats, upper and lower console, and three covers from the aft passenger compartment electronics bays behind the seats. To my dismay, I found evidence that a field mouse had been nesting in the electrical compartment at the rear of the console. Although I drive the car almost every week and try to start and run it for at least ten minutes a day, the little rodent seemed have been living in there for quite some time, chewing on the C50013_2 - F1 Electronically-Controlled Gearbox Cable. The mouse had probably been along for the ride on several drives.

So, I connected the two ends of the pink wire with a jumper and two alligator clips and, as expected, the F1 system will once again enter AUTO mode as advertised. Next step is to effect a permanent repair to the broken wire and then, since I have the interior disassembled, take a flashlight and an inspection mirror and carefully inspect all visible wiring for rodent damage. Lesson learned. Now I am looking for ways to keep rodents away from the car. I have read several threads on the subject here and will try all the methods that look promising. I thought regular use would keep them at bay, but I have been proved wrong.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider likes this.
  2. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    They love wires.

3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They hate cats.

4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    All the more reason to drive these cars on the regular...

Glad you got all fixed tho

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well you could always get a rodent catching snake........ but seriously rodents are an issue anywhere especially in more rural areas and to check for more damage is probably prudent. Hopefully damage is limited to the pink wire.

f355spider likes this.
  6. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I experienced something similar but fortunately the mice only ate through the wire covering and not through the wire. I also store one of my cars in a poll barn on a farm so the mouse risk is a potential. I was successfully able to recover the wires with a spray on product called Liquid Tape by Performix. As to keeping mother mice away, I have used mice repellent products that I’ve purchased at Big R and Lowe’s. Both seem to work and they come in small packets. Amazon offers a product called Mouse Magic that I am going to try. The only downside is the Oder from the packets. The mice hate it but it overwhelms the great leather smell. I place the bags inside the interior and engine compartment. Mouse Magic recommends placing one bag on each of the tires so that might help if they are not in the interior. Fortunately the Oder is not permanent and does go away after a while. Each bag is supposed to last up to a month but I’ve noticed that the smell (not unpleasant) does last longer than that. Looking for other recommendations as mice problems can be a huge and expensive headache.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

f355spider likes this.
  7. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I’ve been reading reviews of Mouse Magic and some are good and others not so successful. I can attest that Fresh Cab’s Botanical Rodent Repellent has worked for me. I purchased it at Big R stores. It is also available on Amazon. .

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually, how much you drive doesn't matter. This has happened to both mine, and my father's daily drivers. Fortunately no real damage, just signs they were in the car. We both live in (separate cities) residential areas parked in a garage. Solution was baited traps in the garage, bait stations with poison outside the garage. I refresh them both regularly. No further issues in 15+ years, but surprised how often the bait is eaten or a catch one. Be sure if you use bait, to use a bait station to keep pets and other animals from the poison.

9. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Agreed. Not on my car, but my Uncle's. in Toronto, where in a private home garage, where we've never seen a mouse anywhere in the house, or on the property, in the city.

Chewed up the under-hood insulation, lol.

10. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Actually, I stand corrected as I overlooked the sentence where he said he drive the car each week....I thought it was "sitting"

11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i had this happen on a porsche. my insurance covered it

ShadowLAP likes this.
  12. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    Damage was minor and I fixed it myself. I did not feel the need to involve the insurance company. They would just jack my premiums, I'm sure.

13. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    perhaps look into Honda Rodent Tape

f355spider likes this.
  14. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    ironically, starting and running your car for 10 minutes/day may have provided a nicely warmed environment that attracted the mouse!

15. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    Good point. I had not thought of that.

16. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Mice are now chewing the under hood insulation on some brand new vehicles because the insulation being used is soya based.

17. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    I looked up "soy-based" wiring insulation and came upon a website named: www.howtopreventratsfromeatingcarwires.com. No kidding! It seems that since the early 2000's, manufacturers have been using plant-based (soy) insulation, ostensibly to be seen as "going green", but in actuality, because it is cheaper. Rats and plant-based insulation, whatever could go wrong?

Mimmo Blue likes this.