Ford v. Ferrari | FerrariChat

Ford v. Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Randy, Apr 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randy

Randy Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I'm sorry if this has been posted before...Someone told me the trailer for the new movie is out, but i can't find it on the internet. can someone send me a link to it

Eric C likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It looks like there was a trailer shown at a trade convention yesterday but it is not yet in public domain - target release November 15 2019

joeacc likes this.
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    This is the feature starring Matt Damon as Shelby and Christian Bale as Ken Miles. It appears from the cast list on imdb that they have Miles' wife and son cast but not the equivilent for Shelby so I'm guessing the whole drama hinges on HFII's decision to ask for a three abreast finish of the Ford Gts at LeMans in '66, whereupon Miles in the led car dutifully slowed down but Bruce McLaren, in another car, sped up and became the winner. and that ruined Miles' chances for three big victories in a single year. But I don't think that story is as interesting as Ford's victory with "crude" cars over the sophisticated Ferraris. Not too late to re-cut the movie and shoot some additional footage to re-slant the story....(and, whaddya know, I've got just the book to base it on....)

Just go to Google and type in "Ford vs. Ferrari imdb" to see the cast list. Bear in mind that's not the actual name of the film

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    New trailer just shown during NBA Finals. Looks great!

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Im looking forward to this movie, But after watching the trailer, I see alot of Ferraris crashing. Maybe not my kind of movie. ;)

6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Does look good; lets just hope it isn't a "US" version of history!

7. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    While it looks like a good "movie", I couldn't help but get the vibe that it'll just be a 2 hour Ford commercial; I'm biased to the Ferrari brand yes but I still appreciate a subjective, quality movie. The history between the two brands is legendary, no question, but the trailer was one-sided with the Ford story. I know I'm early in my opinions but where's the Ferrari side of it?

We've got a while to speculate and offer up opinions, but initially, I'm not interested in a Ford GT40 love fest for 2 hours.

timjen88 and Makuono like this.
  8. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Winners write the history books.....

Texas Forever and jorijori like this.
  11. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Yes, its quite something to go to America and win 1-2-3. ;)

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    They use reproduction or replicas for the GT40 and P cars. A shame.

13. Tomas Simpson

Tomas Simpson Rookie

Jun 6, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tomas Simpson
    The trailer is good! I'm looking forward to watch it!:)

jamesdouglas1436 likes this.
  14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    There is a fairly good book "Go Like Hell" about the Ford - Ferrari war. If you read the Biography of Enzo from Yates and DelMonte - they both cover that period pretty well. Henry Ford II - Duce was not happy that a "little greasy Italian" spurned him and Ford and wanted revenge on a personal basis - which is why he spent like crazy on the GT40 Project. I saw the trailer- and to me it looks completely Hollywood hyped up.... Matt Damon as Shelby ? maybe ...Christian Bale as Miles ... i can see ... he's a great actor... but the CGI and crashes...don't look anywhere close to real... however in those days people died in very simple crashes because the cars were so flimsy and light... it did not take a huge spectacular crash... you could simply slip off the track and smack a tree or light pole... and be dead.

it is a great story - with lots of characters - Shelby basically came in at the end and turned all the Ford research around and got the team together on the car... Ford had been going in a bunch of directions with the GT40.... the Cobra and Daytona Cobra projects were also pretty interesting in that Ford did not really want much involvement until they needed someone to "kill" Ferrari.

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Where are the American cars now?

16. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Looks good to me. I'm a sucker for a movie with a good Stones soundtrack.

17. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    If the story focuses as much as it appears to in the trailer on Ken Miles, then I don't see how it could be anything but a tragedy - robbed of his endurance triple crown by Ford execs (some sources say the execs knew that staging the photo finish would rob Miles of the victory, some say they didn't) and then killed two months later testing the GT40 at Riverside. But then again, there is ample evidence that Enzo also didn't care deeply about his drivers (until Villeneuve).

On the other hand, if the last scene in the trailer is supposed to be depicting Henry Ford II sobbing in the car, then I'm in!

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I don't think HFII cared about cars that much? Seems to of had an ego!

19. 027fury

027fury Rookie

Jun 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    KungPaoPhooey
    yes, I'm a total sucker for that great underdog story of how HFII and the humble Ford Motor Company tackled the mighty Goliath that was...

oh wait, hang on.

:confused:

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The movie was just nominated for 4 Oscars, including Best Picture!

21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    It figures.... Hollywood voting on Hollywood = these types of nominations.

500drvr likes this.
  22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Little OT. The $10 million Ford was about to buy Ferrari with in ‘63 equates to about $85 millions today. Current Ferrari market cap is at $30 Billions. Has any other car brand’s cachet grown so quickly in recent years? Tesla? ;)

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    What? I'm not sure what that is even trying to infer

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    It just won the Oscar for best sound editing. Glad I watched it in IMAX. Imax audio was great as always.

Manda racing likes this.
  25. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    And just got another for best film editing. :)