360 - Samcrac salvage 360 Modena Spider - Verde British Racing | Page 4 | FerrariChat

360 Samcrac salvage 360 Modena Spider - Verde British Racing

Discussion in '360/430' started by krazykarguy, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    That may be the case, however I was just relaying what Sam said in one of the videos.

2. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The video presenter must be on crac to buy such a car

3. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I see now you said the struts were possibly off, seems odd someone would be that crazy throwing hoods around on a Ferrari. It really looks exactly like damage I’ve seen from hoods flying open when the cars in motion. But everyone of us is just speculating, even Samcrack, he has no idea what really happened either.

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Perhaps frunk left unlatched, then frunk flys open at speed, driver panicked and caused undercarriage damage trying to slow down ....

Based on the aerodynamics Is there down force on that frunk. Not lift ... ??

Alt solution —- fire dept upon arrive at scene of accident throw open frunk looking for engine in case of fire....

97 Spider likes this.
  5. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Or the owner was angry and did it himself after the accident getting his belongings out.

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I doubt the story is as entertaining as whatever we can make up. But I find the hood damage minor in comparison to the floor damage.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My mistake. I usually don't. Just hit the wrong button. ;)

8. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I don't watch his channel and there have been no updates on this car...

I'd guess that he just buys these cars, makes some videos to get views and cash in...with no intention of having a finished product?

9. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    No, he usually makes progress in getting his cars “fixed”. He’s probably just busy with life. I’m sure we’ll see more of this car in the future..

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I've followed him and others for a while..... I'm addicted to copart rebuilds..... particularly the exotics.

He goes from start to finish...happy ending.... new platform takes time to learn.

Loved his domino's pizza cars and the legal issues with d pizza! LOL.

11. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    He went to Tennessee and was at another youtubers shop that was doing frame work on his Focus RS and worked on another new build while there, a Lamborghini Gallardo. I would guess we should see him back to the Ferrari in his next few episodes since he headed home to Florida after the last video. He mentioned the Ferrari at the end which is why I’m guessing the Ferrari should be featured i one of the next few videos.

To be fair Sam hasn’t ever tackled much more then average cars so he’s upping his game with the Ferrari and the Lambo. I think Sam is just an average joe that likes cars and is lucky enough to get paid for people watching his videos. Mostly it appears he keeps the cars he rebuilds so it will be interesting to see the fate of both of his Italian cars.

brookliner7 and one4torque like this.
  12. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I would say the hood flew open while in motion. Very easy to do as the hood can lay quite flush after release. Get distracted and there you go. And this may have been the cause of the accident. Can't see, run over curb. The damage is not just the floor board. It's in the rib of the unibody AND its Aluminum like said above. This will be challenging but not impossible. Sad that the interior is black. Tan would be awesome, even on an Italian car ;)

recoil likes this.
  13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If 1,000,000 views = $15,000 then that's a Revenue Per Thousand (RPM) of $15. Not bloody likely! RPM's from YouTube are typically less than $1. Sponsorships are likely to be paying in the sub $1 range too. He'd be lucky to get a couple grand from the video and probably, much less.

14. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    From what I've read, you can expect about $.003 per view which would equate to about $3,000 for 1M views.

15. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    These builds are interesting. It's a new trend to buy a crashed exotic and repair it on youtube. A couple guys buying ferraris, lambos, mclarens, etc. and rebuilding them, then figuring out that they lost money doing this. The auction house win, because people see a crashed exotic and ego-battle it way above "common-sense" prices.

John_K_348 and KC360 FL like this.
  16. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Your information may be dated. Many moons ago, YouTube paid a decent RPM. Today, a fraction. So it's really sub $1 RPM, typically, less than $0.50.

17. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That’s just from YouTube ads, all the influencers use 3-4 different platforms that monetize. So the same video is making that much in 4 different places at the same time, plus money and free products for the personal commercials in the videos. They can make bank from every angle on a single video.

one4torque likes this.
  18. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    They might be making money, but they're spending so much to make the content, because the parts and equipment to install and get the car running properly is not the same as a the regular toyota or dodge. Some of them can offset the costs with sponsors, or if they own an auto shop their selves where they can plug their businesses on the channels, but relying off of just views only works if you keep operating costs down, which you cant with these cars because they cant count on factory support.

KC360 FL likes this.
  19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    chad - but remember... an enterprising you-tooober will get comps on parts/services in exch for pimping their wares...... it's all connected....... people who own auto repair shops do NOT pay retail for parts/services........ same in the rest/bar business they are give eachother free comps.......

plus consider if you are going to do this stuff anyway....... they are pretty smart to NOT pay retail...... and get paid to have a hobby...... are they getting rich? prob not..... are they subsidizing a spendy fun hobby.... I say YES :)

20. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Of course it's fun, I'm not knocking them.
    But some of their procedures, I question if they really worked on cars before. Some of it is just common sense...

KC360 FL likes this.
  21. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well all I do know is Sam has multiple sponsors and a pretty large following. He has also been doing videos with other fairly well established youtubers and possibly will be getting cross views there, most recently with vtuned which I’ve watched a few of his videos as well. He’s done content with Tavarish as well as some others.

His most recent videos were over a lp560 that instead of paying Lamborghini 10k for a frame rail, or sourcing one from a recycler had vtuned fab one out of a $28 dollar peice of aluminum. A lot of the parts he bought for it also were after market though they appeared to fit well. Both he and vtuned caught quite a bit of flack about the dabbed upper frame because they didn’t add crumple zone reliefs, which they remedied in a follow up video. Again how much of this is staged and what is not is debatable. But he certainly is on track to have arguably when finished the cheapest lp560 on the planet, that now due to the frame rail shenanigans will be of questionable build quality.

Again if this car is for his own personal use well that his own safety he’s risking so even if I don’t agree with the repair it’s his risk. If he flips it, well it’s just not right. I feel that same about the Ferrari, however he get to the end so long as it’s for him, well that’s his personal risk. Honesty the damage doesn’t appear too horrible just a pain in the rear.

But what other issues are lurking remains to be seen, and I think timing belts are probably going to need attention soon, at least I would. He explanation about the hood flipping up while driving makes perfect sense and is honestly probably what happened. But at the end of the day he’s getting views, he’s getting attention, and reguardless of speculation he is getting paid for his content. Remains to be seen what shortcuts he actually takes.

imahorse likes this.
  22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Highly doubt that Ferrari and other parts houses are jumping at the chance to subsidize projects like this. Not only is he not getting rich, he is losing big time on the project considering the costs involved as outlined in other posts here. How far will 3K or 4K in "free money" go to getting a salvage exotic back on the road? I think we all know not far. Not far at all. And as has been said so many times, he still ends up with a Ferrari fixed on the cheap that has a branded title and cost him almost if not the same as a decent car without the stigma of a Salvage title. Dreams are nice, but reality always wins.

ChadR likes this.
  23. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    This idea that all is good "if he keeps the car" is fine until he doesn't. And at some point I'm sure he will try to sell it. Not only are the improper repairs going to be and issue he will see at that time exactly just how much he lost on the car when the resale price becomes apparent to him.

I just take issue with what he is selling--- That buying a Salvage exotic is a great idea and can be fixed on the cheap in your own garage.

ChadR likes this.
  24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The real rub is with these repairs on the body that are fabricated is the crumple zone aspect. Everyone assumes that you can just take out a part and throw an "equivalent" part in and all is good. When you look at the specific alloys used in the construction of aluminum bodies.. it varies wildly. Some panels are T2020 while others are T2028. Each has different stiffness and flexion properties that are precisely CAD modeled. If there is a second accident any time after the repair and there is any bodily injury... that can bring you into court. I'm just waiting for it to happen. Even if it's advertised As-is. It's the biggest danger when it comes to rebuilds IMHO and why I won't buy one unless I know exactly what happened in the collision. That floorboard that is crumpled on his 360.. that's structural and unless removed, reglued and/or re-riveted with an identical piece may contribute to structural integrity.

https://jalopnik.com/couple-awarded-42-million-after-crash-because-shop-glu-1819359410

John_K_348 and KC360 FL like this.
  25. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’m not disputing repairs should be made according to manufacturers spec. And I also don’t dispute that cutting corners is ok because as was mentioned while it might be “ok” while you are the only one taking a risk the person that ends up with it after the fact sure didn’t sign up for sub par cheap repairs.

It seems to me like sub par repairs from a lot of shops are likely why a lot of cars wind up salvage titles because of the liability issues. The repair on the Lamborghini I mentioned in my earlier post was just bad, even if they used the proper grade of Aluminum, which I doubt. And even if they added the crumple zone reliefs. Yeah sure they saved “a ton of money” but is it safe? I’m not an engineer but I wouldn’t feel safe with that repair. Heck maybe that part they fabbed isn’t even structural but it might be and likely is but as an every day joe I have no way of knowing that. Most of the repairs I’ve seen Sam and vtuned make I figure are ok but that one I just think was in serious poor judgement and makes me worry about the repairs on the Ferrari.

As far as the amount he makes from YouTube and the associated sponsorships, I’m not a youtuber but I’ve seen videos where people divulge what they make(again assuming it’s real) and it would seem that for a million views it would be more then 3k (baised upon what has been shown in other videos) plus what ever his other videos might generate as it’s been mentioned the larger your monitored library the more money you make.