best HDPE car around 45k | FerrariChat

best HDPE car around 45k

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by flifer, Jun 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm thinking about getting a side car for HDPE. I'm pretty much a complete newbie on the track aside from afew 1-2 day driving schools I've taken over past few years.

I don't really wanna go all out dedicated track car with roll cage... But something sporty enough to take on the track with minimal mods and also may see very small bit DD use for the occasional errand.

I was thinking something along the lines of an M2. From what I've read you just need camber plates and track pads and it makes a pretty fun HDPE and autocross car. It's also right in line with the budget. However, if I go M2, I may stretch that budget abit to get a new one just to do a euro deliery as they don't seem to depreciate as fast as other M's.

But I'm open to other suggestions as I'm kinda new to this...

2. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Porsche Cayman, Boxster, 911
    Vette Z06
    Miata

Those are the standard ones, all within budget depending on the year model.

Dodge Viper would be another choice if going to higher speed tracks.

3. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for your input... I was debating a 911 (too tall for a cayman)

Would that be more ideal over an M2 in terms of being able to take a beating and keep on ticking?

4. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They are all pretty reliable when maintained correctly. Do you want small, light, and decent power or bigger, more weight, and more power? The BMW and Porsche will be more money maintenance wise due to the cost of supplies. Tires are expensive for the viper.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Nissan 370Z? Coming to end of production so can get a good deal on them new and pretty cheap to maintain and lots of aftermarket parts. And they still make them in manual...and RWD.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  7. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Just get a miata and call it a day.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Only the C5Z06+ is a 160mph car at Daytona. I was at 160mph racing with SCCA is a C5Z06 restricted 55mm intake restrictor and 3600lbs. so an unrestricted C6Z06 for HPDE would be very fast. Also if you do daytona in the C5Z06 the track is boring full throttle except entering the infield and a jog at the bustop. In a lesser HP car we are talking BORING! So if you plan for Daytona think about that. Homestead is a little more entertaining because of less banking but still a sleeper. Sebring is very fun in the C5Z.

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    If he cannot fit in a Cayman, he is not fitting in a Miata or a Lotus. You should be able to find a 997 in decent shape for 45K. I would take a 911 over an M2 any day, and if you go to Rennlist there are always members selling stuff. I have owned every car mentioned here plus another at least 470. My tracking days are over, and it might be me but outside of the Cayman the 911 is probably the easiest car to keep control of. I've owned a few heavily modified Z06's, and though I really liked them they did not give much warning before they broke free (which they did quite a bit).

flifer likes this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Lotus evora can fit bigger people just fine, and will be the most enjoyable to drive and cost effective, plus once you get into it you can put your track wheels and slicks in the back and swap em at the track.
    Nothing against porkers, theyre well egineered, lots of parts and knowledge base, not to mention lots of PCA events.

Apart from paper specs one might consider how enjoyable any car is to drive on track, and which one you're going to learn the most from and can grow with.

11. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    #11 fastback33, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Fine, buy a subaru brz.

Its underpowered and handles well. It and the miata will actually teach you how to drive and you will have more fun.

If you just want to be the dude with a badass car that he cant handle then go get a zo6 or 911...

Sheesh this isnt a difficult decision.

Edit: on second thought two more options. Buy a computer and start learning to drive in iracing, or look up a local kart track that has an arrive and drive program/league. Both will teach you how to drive much faster then a vette/911.

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had an Evora 400 I don't know OP's dimensions but some taller and wider people did not fit and with a helmet it would be tougher. There is not much I have not owned or driven on a track including cup cars and Miata's set up for track use only. I did not ask OP can you drive a stick? The Evora does have a great gearbox, though some would say the light flywheel is not that great for long term track use. You can easily take weight on a 911 (I should know I own 2316lb 997 with 650hp and no traction control we call it the real widowmaker), and it will take a beating.

13. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'll second the Toyota FRS/ Subaru BRZ, but make sure you get the manual trans......they are very fun track cars that force you to be smooth!

14. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Mustang GT with the performance pack 2 option.

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    all depends if you want to learn how to drive fast and be fast or have the car do it for you....

16. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    There are a host of questions to answer before a zero'd in answer can be given. Some were mentioned above.

1) Can you drive a manual trans, and do you want that or not?
    2) Do you plan to do just a few track days a year, maybe progress to the intermediate run group, and just hang out there?
    3) What is your tolerance for wear items--both cost and time/hassle of replacing (tires, brake pads and rotors)?
    4) Do you want to "arrive and drive" or are you willing to do "stuff" after you get to the track but before your first session?
    5) What are the tracks like in your area--open and fast, tight and slow, etc.?
    6) For the daily driving aspect of your track car, what amount of practicality must it have?

The issue often is that, as in most other pursuits, once you reach a milestone you then want to exceed it. One progression can be stock car -> stock car with upgraded brake pads -> stock car with upgraded brake pads and a spare set of rims with track tires -> track tires changed to slicks -> upgraded suspension, oil system, fuel system, etc. (needs depend on the particular car). Then if your car isn't big enough to carry all of the crap you might need, you need a truck + trailer. At some point you'll realize that weight is the real enemy, and you'll be tempted to strip your car. It starts with just removing the spare tire, then the other seats, then carpet, etc. More weight eats tires and brakes faster.

And Juan makes a good point. The Nissan GTR is crazy fast around many tracks, even with a driver with less skill. But an amazing driver in a Miata can show up much faster cars, especially on tighter tracks.