458 airbag problem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 airbag problem

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by TheMostFamousHustler, Dec 16, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Depending on your level of trust, you can have the control module read by the Dealership and the factory should be able to de-code it.
    -OR-
    Have the module removed and sent to the manufacturer of the control module itself ( assuming they have access and if it is proprietary data to Ferrari )

The DEALERSHIP itself has no skin in the game, they only get paid to fix it, they do not care who pays. I mean the Dealership did not do it, right?
    So , while I AM a Dealership representative , I can tell you without question, I would provide the client 100% accurate results of any tests.

IMO ,

S

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
    Quick update on my situation. Ferrari still denies responsibility but will pass the ECU to its supplier. According to Ferrari North America, the airbag self deployed because I lowered the car with Novitec springs (Novitec will appreciate...) and my rear diffuser was cracked (I don't see the connection but anyway that's one of the reasons they give).

Interesting case: another 458 owner happened to have exactly the same problem last week (and his car is 100% stock, not lowered). See photo attached:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I am at a loss why anything other than the door panel and the spent airbag be replaced. The passenger side dash airbag is a free factory recall. Why would the door airbag ECU need to be replaced if it is functioning properly? Seems like they believe the part is defective or they don't really know how it happened and just replacing every related component. Maybe I'm missing something here.

4. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    So to be clear , “ another “ owner hit something with their 458 and the side airbag deployed as well?

And it appears that whatever was hit in your Italia was hit hard enough to compress your already lowered and stiffer suspension so much so that your rear diffuser made impact ( to cause crack/damage )

My opinion is my own and coming from a position of having been there done that , I’m just admitting it publicly and not looking for someone else to pay for me to play.

Otherwise why is this so hard to underatand?

YMMV

A

5. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Because the airbag system works as a circuit. Once it has been activated , you replace the components in that circuit. Even if it does still work , would you personally want to risk it?
    What if it didn't work a second time , is that Ferrari’s fault now as well ? **

Passenger side dash airbags are being replaced due to a defective ignitor, that when ignited, may cause fragments of the igniter to become projectiles... nothing at all to do w/ deployment itself.

I still don’t understand how this is anything either than an owner causing his own demise , certainly not a conspiracy to defraud the OP or any owner for that matter.

** Does Ferrari even make the actual airbag system components? ECU, airbags, sensors, harness, etc..

A

MalibuGuy likes this.
  6. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler

I cracked my rear diffuser one week after having bought the car 6 years ago. The car was not lowered.

AClark likes this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I do not know how the ECU airbag functions so don't know why it would need replacement or how far back in a circuit one needs to go. For instance, if you damage the engine from misuse or bad fuel you do not replace the engine bank ECUs. If they work then replacement is unnecessary as far as I can tell. Maybe the airbag simply reads sensor data and routes voltage to the airbag. Perhaps it has recorded memory of the event that is useful to diagnose the believed faulty deployment.

As far as manufacturing, Ferrari does not make airbag components or many of the components in the cars. Those are made by Tier suppliers. Ferrari makes the engine, coordinates interior, exterior and performance designs, stitches the hides, does the painting (mostly), major assembly, testing, support, planning, marketing, etc. They do not make parts like ECUs, airbags (Takata), transmissions, wheels, tires, glass, radios, electronics, batteries, sensors, hoses, brakes, rotors, radiators, etc.

AClark likes this.
  8. 458Guy

458Guy Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    I created a separate thread, but I JUST had my driver's side airbag deploy on my 458 for NO reason as the car was being driven to Chicago Ferrari to get the extended warranty inspection done! I bought the car last week, but it's absolutely stock and in mint condition. No lowering springs, no cracks, no after-market add-on's, etc... I have already emailed Ferrari customer service and received a response requesting the VIN # for investigation purposes, but I SURE as heck am not paying $8k+ out of my own pocket to remedy this defective airbag situation, and frankly I am just scared to drive the car now!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Can it be the factory settings for the airbag are lower in the States because of not all people using seat belts ?

I remember some time ago a comparison made on other cars that our airbags needed around 60 kms to go off whereas the States ones were lower around 40 kms.

10. 458Guy

458Guy Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Well I certainly can't speak to airbag settings, but I have hit HUGE potholes before in my Range Rover and Bentley that have actually blown out tires, and even then, NEVER had an airbag deploy as a result! So for this mint condition, completely stock 458 to have an airbag explode while driving on a major interstate highway in good condition, that's just absolutely unacceptable and incredibly dangerous!

sampelligrino likes this.
  11. MIA458

MIA458 Rookie

Nov 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nick Spisak
    Just received a quote for $24,081 to do the exact same work from a dealer in Miami.
    Any advise on where to source things cheaper?

12. 458Guy

458Guy Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    MIA458 likes this.
  13. MIA458

MIA458 Rookie

Nov 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nick Spisak

Thank you, still so confused how they could have a recall on the front passenger airbag and then show no consideration to assist with the side airbag issues, which seem to be very prevalent.

14. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What was the resolution to this issue? It’s been 3 years…

1) What did Ferrari end up doing about this in the end?

2) Did this end up on your car fax for the car?

3) how did you get the leather door panel repaired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I believe carfax may report if indicated on a police/LEO report or by a repair agency. Sure on the first not sure on the latter.