PSA - Electrical Storms and Cars on Tenders... | FerrariChat

PSA - Electrical Storms and Cars on Tenders...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kevin Rev'n, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sorry for long post ...
    I have just got through an ordeal with my car that I feel is important to share. I am one of the diehard battery tender guys. My car is always on one and so it was some 14+ months ago when we had a huge electrical storm hit our island. I never gave it a thought because my tender was a high quality "Save a Battery" brand. The big 25v model, love that thing! It was about a week later that a nice clear day made me grab my driving shoes, the keys and head out to the garage only to find out that the car was running on 4 cylinders!

I was busy preparing a house for sale and shopping for a new home so a lot of time went by with trouble shooting but it turned out that I had fried the left (driver-side) ECU! I was able to borrow a known good ECU from a CS which made the car run much better, at least it was firing on all cylinders! It wasn't perfect but drive-able. I set out to find an OEM replacement. I found one for my specific car, 2003 manual transmission. I didn't know how many different ECU part numbers there were!

I got it installed and performed the ECU relearn a bunch of times as I was seeing ODBII code errors. I almost have the procedure memorized! I have been using a "Blue Driver" and an iPad to look into my cars brains and even though the codes are often generic I was fortunate to get some tech advice about the MAFs as a possible place to look. I had a generic error 2178 "Rough Idle Bank 1" and after switching the MAFs side to side I got an error 2180 "Rough Idle Bank 2"!! My recent post about sourcing some new OEM MAFs was confirmed as my problem and the car is back to healthy and strong as of yesterday!

Symptoms I had:
    1. Rough idle at start up. Started OK but only o-kay. Characterized by a slightly weaker than normal initial rev and settle down to a slightly less than smooth idle. Car ran pretty well but something wasn't quite on. The tach was not rock solid at low idle RPM when cold. There was a slightly different noise from the exhaust. Not the mono sound of 40 valves in concert.

2. Jumpy acceleration from a stop when warm. This was most evident when pulling away from a stop after a 10+ minute run at freeway speeds and tach steady at about 4500-5000K RPM. It was very similar to when you have the ASR on in a Modena and you accelerate to the point the nanny computer modulates the wheels so you don't spin the tires. It was often much more jerky than the ASR modulation and very troubling.

3. Random errors on ODBII reader and Random Check Engine light on dash.

Thoughts and Analysis:
    1. With the help of a great F-Chat friend we hypothesized the initial problem to the possibility that with the car plugged into a wall socket and with the car alarm/immobilization circuit being on that the possibility to spike the left engine ECU was a possibility. I would love some discussion on this but seems to be the case that there is a higher voltage circuit for the Alarm and it is wired to one side of the system.

2. My 25v Save-A-Battery tender did have an audible hum to it after the incident so I determined that it was compromised and ordered a smaller voltage replacement... a 12v model. Plus I put it on a high grade surge suppressor. I wonder if i had the smaller unit before if it would have fried faster on a power surge and not allowed the spike to the car? Can anyone comment on that?

3. I have changed my process of leaving the car plugged in 24/7/365 and now only plug it in when I know there will not be a storm for the foreseeable future!

I hope this helps someone else or we get some knowledgeable discourse going from this. For me it was a ~$3,500 DIY experience but the loss of confidence in the car at a time when I was so busy moving and had so little time to work on the car really sucked.

AClark, Mimmo Blue and energy88 like this.
  2. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I should have added that my tender is wired to behind the drivers seat!

3. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Thank you for the heads up. I had just assumed the battery tenders would have suppressor built in. Like they say never assume

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Wow! Was the tender plugged into the wall directly or into a surge protection power strip?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    When I'm out of town for extended periods of time, I unplug the tender just in case something goes haywire. This is definitely one of those just in case scenarios. And I'm with you, I don't think 24/7/365 is necessary anyways.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes that’s safe but isn’t the idea of having a tender so that it maintains while you’re away?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    In the winter, I have a lot of batteries to maintain. So I typically alternate through them...1 day on the charger each per week. I’m sure it’s about as effective as being connected 24/7.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin

It escapes me if it was in a very old surge protector or a very old power strip. It was a heavy storm though! It blew out my sons XBOX on a totally different part of the house. I took it apart and a chip was charred!

Need4Spd and AClark like this.
  9. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Thank you for sharing your story.

I always use a surge protector for this very reason, you never know what can happen while you are away.

A

10. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I guess I'm thinking the idea of a tender is to maintain the battery to keep it charged/healthy. I have a recent version of a CTek, and when I plug it in, it gets to the last stage within hours of plugging it in, so I'm not sure what benefit there is after it reaches that last stage. If I'm away for an extended period of time with it unplugged, then plug it in upon my return, it gets to the last stage within hours, which works for me, and seems to avoid some unlikely yet severe risk.

PKIM likes this.
  11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a whole home surge protector from the utility company wired in right behind the meter. That is intended to protect from a strike somewhere nearby sending a pulse through the supply lines into the house. Then, any sensitive electronics inside the house including the battery tenders are plugged into additional surge protectors.

That wouldn't protect against a direct lightning strike to the house, but it's about as protected as you can get without unplugging everything anytime a storm forms. And in Central Florida where we get daily thunderstorms for months through the summer, that's just not feasible.

Kevin Rev'n and Need4Spd like this.
  12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This is one of my paranoias...Both my cars are on tenders, only when I'm home, and every night before bed I check to make sure there are no storms in the area, then unplug them if there is. I have a big rackmount power enter in my studio, I was wondering if getting one for the tenders would be a good idea.

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Haven't had time to fully read the thread but...

1. You absolutely cannot mix and match ecus from different model years. Ever
    2. Ecu Hardware is identical but the mix of different variables is huge including sensors, mapping , etc. Every software version even has different CEL codes.
    3. You risk detonation and engine damage with different maps and strategies between different firmware as they fight each other. It's one of the reasons ferrari only sell ecus in pairs.
    4. They can be reflashed but you must use same firmware on both banks.

14. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin

Good PSA Trev. Of course when I had my problem the first thing I did was PM you to ask some questions. Ya know??? That was many months ago and still I don't think you replied! LOL I chalked it up to that project you are working on that will hopefully save us all and keep these awesome machines going for decades to come. I was very surprised how many different part numbers there are for ECU's. All the countries and emission standards, model years and transmissions add up!

I was able to swap in a donor ECU to see if doing so would get all 8 cyls firing. It was a CS one so last model year and my car is a 2003. I could tell I didn't want to drive it but it was nice to have a direction to go to solve the problem!

15. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have never heard of this out here but it sounds great! We have our big pacific tropical storms every couple years and I wont be caught off guard again!

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sorry I somehow must have missed it. Please try again. Yes i I can help you..ofcourse I will.

Trev

f355spider likes this.
  17. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Why not disconnect the power supply in the frunk and keep the tender on? I assume the tender is connected directly to the battery, so it will still get power, but it should cut a surge delivery to the rest of the car, no?

18. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    Good reminder! I had an unused surge protector and quickly plugged the tender to it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Need4Spd likes this.
  19. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Oh no worries Trev! This thread is a post issue wrap up thread and share lessons learned! I am good!
    Cheers

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    OK I was travelling when i scanned your post.

1. The immobilizer is physically wired to be always on as its also part of the key fob listening circuit on the 360. This means it also constantly drains current. Not an issue when working correctly but it can also spike other ecus too with the same power, fuse and relays in the fuse box. It's connected to the RHS ecu as is the pairing feature.

2. I absolutely recommend using a surge protector with a noise ripple filter if you plan to leave tender plugged 24/7. I have them on my computers and expensive home hifi rigs. The good ones will shutdown and prevent damage to your attached kit.

3. These days I can clone your pairing, virginize ecus and even disable immobilizer entirely as well as convert any 360 ecu to work on any part numbers firmware via reflashing. Not only that I've developed the tooling to switch your own firmware between f1 to gated and vice versa. I can upgrade older cars right up to 2004 spec firmware which results in improvements across the board, smoother idle, crisper acceleration, better emissions, etc. I can individually disable tests and CEL codes for things like secondary o2 sensors which are only used on 360 for emissions. I can remove hesitation from going to free flowing sports exhausts by use of factory sports exhaust maps, etc.

Later spec firmware really is better, earlier firmware had many of the protective tests for the engine even disabled so more risky to run. Ie you don't get a CEL even when there really is a fault. Etc. Personally the best upgrade is to use CS firmware and use my tools to convert it to gated (if your car is gated) and change configurations of sensors etc so it works on your car, I can even do this for 1999 cars...

Amazing upgrade and even works to improve performance too without resorting to tuning. Ie fully tested by Ferrari. Literally the list is endless so I will be bringing all this to you guys soon...

MCASEY likes this.
  21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    For an extended period of sitting, probably fine, but you would have to go through the ECU relearn process every time you connected the battery back up.

22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    So if the car had an incomplete service history (and some modifications) when acquired,would it be beneficial to send the ECU's just to have them flashed to the stock/updated program just to make sure there was a "fresh" start? 99 gated.

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I always extract firmware first and check if it currently runs modified (tuned) firmware or stock part number firmware. Since I have virtually every firmware ever made now on file.

It not very common that owners even think about the ECUs and mapping when going from stock exhaust to say fitting a sports exhaust.

... However the reason why Ferrari supplied the optional sports exhaust with the mandatory fit ecu's was to tailor it properly so that;
    a) Its perfectly mapped for the back pressure differential (no flat spots) between say a free flowing sports and the more restrictive stock system.
    b) To comply with the moving goal post of both noise emissions (sports exhaust valves open at different higher point for example to help noise regs than a stock exhaust and even that varies by year and country!) and and tailpipe emissions standards and different CEL codes required by different sensors and actuators fitted to different model years. These changed during the production lifecycle so they required tweaks to the firmware to stay compliant with the later specs and features.

The problem with all of this is that ;
    a) These ecu's where NOT really designed for dealer sanctioned upgrades out in the field.
    For those interested I'm actually using an engineering debugging facility/backdoor left in the embedded chip itself by Siemens (the original manufacturer), nothing to do with Bosch. This allow you to boot strap the Siemens microcontroller itself over serial if you short a pin to ground on the chip itself. From here you can upload a boot loader from which you can then extract the firmware, eeprom and re-flash the chip, verify and finally reboot. Its not JTAG (if your familiar with it) but a sort of equivalent lower spec version of it.

While there is a reflash over OBD capability its actually never been used by Ferrari due to the reliability factors such as battery voltage. The way it was designed its just too easy to brick one (kill the flash contents) half way through a reflash so they never upgraded Model Years to later flash versions out in the field, despite the benefits for owners. At the time of manufacture it just wasn't a done thing. If you had a newer car you got the later features, that's it.

b) It got very very complicated for Ferrari as different model years needed different firmware and they would have had to produce a new firmware (altered by Bosch for a large fee no doubt) for both variants of sports exhaust and non sports exhaust for both f1 and gated and then for different geographical regions. Think about the number of permutations and it gets crazy... So they simply didn't do it.

This is the real reason why Ferrari could not federalize the use of the sports exhausts on all US model years. Its because it wouldn't have been cost effective for Bosch to do all the different Firmware versions for them for the tiny number of sales.

I can take a 2004 spec firmware for example and transplant sports exhaust maps over from that so it works as ODB testing requires for example. Its all got horribly over complicated for no good reason. It may have been far easier for Ferrari to simply put some wired grounds to enable/disable features (f1 vs gated for example) which they could have supplied different extension wiring looms to change configurations. This would have allowed them to have a tiny fraction of the ecu variants they have and then each cars ground configurations determine its settings rather than the flash settings. Ah well...

24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This is basically my concern. I run high flow cats and a Gruppe M exhaust and still periodically get a CEL, and since everything seems to be running good and I have replaced gaskets, coils, injectors, etc.I suspect that it may be an issue where the ECU is just upset about the mods...I even considered going to stock but the foot print of my exhaust system makes everything SOOO easy to access back there..not to mention sounds pretty good (loud).

25. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If you ever get any CELs let me know the codes and I can investigate for you if its worth disabling them triggering altogether. Most likely they are related to emissions, I could for instance alter the threshold for the triggering of the CEL so it may be all that's needed.

Kevin Rev'n and Mimmo Blue like this.