Your thoughts on Portofino? | FerrariChat

Your thoughts on Portofino?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SingleClutch, Jun 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I attended an event in Seattle a few days ago by Ferrari of North America and Ferrari of Seattle. As a guy who’s shopping for his first Ferrari, I was excited to be around all the cool cars - 812, 458, 488, 458 Speciale, various Porsche models, a couple aventadors, McLaren, and so on. They gave me the opportunity to drive a Portofino, and I’m glad I did.

The cockpit looks like other Ferraris, and it was fun to drive. My daughters were also able to go along, so that was super cool. The Ferrari representative explained to me that it’s meant to be an introduction to the brand, but I have to say that it looks nothing like I imagine when I think of Ferrari.

Overall a very pleasant experience, but I’m still in love with the 458. What do you guys think about a new guy buying a Portofino as a first Ferrari? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Fly fast and take chances

I'm 360 Canuck, anunakki and paulchua like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Go with your heart. Its your toy.

vraa, paulchua, daytona355 and 3 others like this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If it were me, I'd buy a Cali, assuming you're not planning on doing major tracking of the car. They're screaming good deals right now, and have more than enough power for the road. They can be driven daily - comfort/auto for a night in the town with the wife, sport/manual to enjoy attacking twisty roads, and everything in between. If after a few years of driving it, if the Ferrari reality matches the dream, then move into something else your heart desires - V12, mid engine V8, etc. Just my 2 cents...T

4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Get the 458.

5. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This is your first dream car correct? Then follow that dream and give it a full send. Get the car you WANT! We are all dying, don't be another statistic that dies without living.

6. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    Hi Kris, I believe I may have spoken with you and your 2 small beautiful daughters as I was leaving the Redmond Cars & Coffee in my red Cali as I was on my way to this same Ferrari Portofino promo event. It is good that you are going to these gatherings of sports car enthusiasts and picking their brains. As was said previously here, unless you are going to do serious track time, the Cali/Portofino model will give you plenty of Ferrari style and performance for the street and you can still have the ability to take your daughters along. As a relatively new Cali-30 with HS Pkg owner, I was impressed with the Portofino smooth ride and seamless shifting as well as the updated interior and ability to operate the roof below 20 MPH. Only you can determine if it is worth the extra $125K to buy the new Portofino over say a late model Cali-30. Either way, it is tough to make a bad decision that won't put a smile on your face every time you drive it!

anunakki, daytona355 and SingleClutch like this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    458 looks like a ferrari. a portofino looks like a Japanese car trying to be like a ferrari.

8. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    458 or Portofino.... both look great. Go with what your gut and heart desire.
    Better yet, ask your daughters which they prefer and get it. That way the car had a little sentimental touch.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AD211 and SingleClutch like this.
  9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I test drove one in San Antonio and came away greatly impressed!!
    The CCF brakes pulled me down so fast, I was glad I was belted!!
    She insisted I quit babying the car, and pound it thru the gears!!!

It really is a personal decision, the front vs. rear engine question, but no doubt the Portofino is a very fine offering.

As long as you did not get too crazy with options, (the passenger data screen was $$$$) and stayed within Color Range, I felt it "good value"....you could get a pretty jazzy two color interior, within the base specification, IIRC.

stavura, daytona355 and SingleClutch like this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Now, I do have to say (on behalf of your young daughters), when I mentioned or even compared the Portofino to a 488, my son said:

"No way Dad, get that 458, in the corner of the showroom!"
    So, there is that!!

Last of the normally aspirated cars...

daytona355 and SingleClutch like this.
  11. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Mine said the same thing ;)

Fly fast and take chances

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sounds like your decision is made!
    T

paulchua, daytona355 and SingleClutch like this.
  13. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Yes, go with your gut, and test drive both.
    But don’t drive the Portofino after the 458
    I have a 458 and did test-drive a Portofino. I myself would not switch

daytona355 and SingleClutch like this.
  14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I really liked my Californias they sounded great and were fun to drive just enough for dinner with the wife and maybe your child if you have one.. I have 2 daughters and they loved the California so did the wife ...none of them care about any of the other cars in my garage... I drove the Portifino and it was fast and nice did not have the same sound but really liked it....

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You said it yourself, it does not look like a Ferrari when you think Ferrari. I understand why Ferrari is making them but they personally do nothing for me. I would buy an FF over a Portofino (which also doesnt look like a Ferrari).

Get a nice 458 which looks and sounds like a Ferrari. And wont drop like a rock.

paulchua and SingleClutch like this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Whats scary u can get a 458 and ff for price of a loaded porttofino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    your heart already spoke......
    get the 458

paulchua and SingleClutch like this.
  18. Bee Cave

Bee Cave Rookie

Mar 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan Cornish
    The Portofino is a beautiful car. 600 HP, easy to drive and best of all with the roof down a really great convertible experience. Better than the 488. I have both. two different cars.

Texas Forever and SingleClutch like this.
  19. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ferrari apparently has a long history of making cars that aren't Ferrari's... 166 Inter, 250GT, 330, 365, Lusso, Mondial, 400,412, 308GT, 456, FF, 612, GTC4, 206, 246, California, Portofino...

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome!

As far as your question:

You answered it already yourself:

\

Go with your heart my friend.

SingleClutch likes this.
  21. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Without knocking the Portofino or its "appropriateness" as a first Ferrari (a concept that's never made sense to me; it's just a car!), get the one you really want.

Trying to rationalize one's purchases, especially to align them with one's perceptions of others' opinions, is both pointless and beyond futile. If you want the 458 (it sure sounds that way), get one.

22. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    Good luck - just went through this same decision process about a month ago. My sons loved the portofino and so I had them sit in the back with me for a test drive. They loved being in the car but were cramped with their knees facing outward in order to sit in the back. Ended up buying a 488 spider as I liked driving it and have been very happy with it so far and my sons like sitting in the front although they have to take turns.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    9 times out of 10 a young person will pick the overt sportiness of a mid engined 2 seater that says supercar all over it.
    A portofino is aimed at more practical buyers.

SingleClutch likes this.
  24. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Larry I always imagined you as a Tesla model s guy for the family sports car lol, no $250k paid in full Tesla roadster deposit for 2027 delivery?

LARRYH, vraa and Texas Forever like this.
  25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Personally, I like the way the whole California series looks. Reminds me of a smaller Maranello. In fact, I'd like it more if it was smaller. But, then again, I like front-engine, RWD cars. (I came of age in the '60s.) But, I'll never buy one because you can't get a stick shift.

SingleClutch likes this.