1,400 Mile '85 308 GTS QV on BAT | FerrariChat

1,400 Mile '85 308 GTS QV on BAT

Discussion in '308/328' started by G. Pepper, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Wow! Beautiful! That engine bay is something else. Had to save a photo of it for future reference.

malcolmb and G. Pepper like this.
  3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Wow. Just wow.

Have never seen a 308 with this few miles. A 328 yes; a 308 no.

Just wow.

What's in the cardboard box?

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Paint touch up kit
    I'd buy it, except there's no emergency window crank, so it's obviously got "stories" :p

Il Tifoso and 308 milano like this.
  5. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    That’s a beautiful car! Hope the owner does well with the auction. When I looked at the website I noticed a 17K mile E30 M3 that also,seems pretty rare. I know which one I would pay up,for (308) but I wonder which one will bring the highest bid? Thoughts?

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The 308 price will come down to how much the word spreads. There are private collectors who covet 0-mile cars. If they don't see the BaT ad-- and I doubt many of the big fish scour BaT -- it won't do well. It needs two aggressive bidders.

I do not favor buying and just storing a car, but this mileage is really rare and if there is an "investment 308", this one would be it.

The word of the M3 will be spread much more quickly among a pool of many more buyers. It may go high but because there is a larger pool bidding on it.

I say the M3 goes higher just because it is unlikely there will be 2 people looking at the same time for a 308 for their private museums.

7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I didn't realize US cars had black oil pans. My Euro car is bare aluminium.

8. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    They dont. Strange that same finish is all over the suspension including the sway bar and drop links. It's on the transaxle as well. Maybe overspray of the Dinol undercoating? Rear calipers sure don't look rebuilt. BAT is an interesting choice of venue to sell this car.

ferrariowner likes this.
  9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It’s only the undercoating that’s been overspray all the underside.

f355spider likes this.
  10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Looks that way. Weird.

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The text says "factory style undercoating" I'm not sure what it is but it's not factory and whoever did it made one hell of a mess. I can tell the factory undercoating is there, they just sprayed this crap right over the top of it with no regards for keeping it off the engine and other components.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's even on top of the fasteners... perhaps dealer-applied? What a mess.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, being French I know nothing about "Bring A Trailer" auctions, but the current bid is already 90.000 U$.
    I would say that, the black undercoating notwithstanding, a time capsule 308 deserves to go as high, or even higher, as time capsules 328s, which are more frequent (although I have seen a time-capsule french 308 with 2.000 miles a year ago).
    I wouldn't be shocked if it "reached" 180.000 to 200.000 $...

Rgds

14. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    My post questioning whether this 308 would bid Higher than the 17K mile E30 M3 was answered today. The M3 was a no sale at $75K. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-m3-18/. Thought it would have gone much higher, but much debate in the auction comments re: if the paint was original. Some comments there regarding the direction of the market for these M3’s as well.

Now to see where this awesome 308 ends. Purely speculation, but I am going to guess $148K. Again just guessing - I would have missed the M3 by a mile...

Off topic, but Nerofer, I always enjoy your informative posts. I hope that you will one day produce a “328 Compendium” as Mathias did with the Dino.

308 milano likes this.
  15. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
  16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Checked my files to see if I did have any "point of reference", keeping in consideration that:
    - I do not have many archives about 308s,
    - and that I am in Europe, so the the market is different.

Found two cars that more or less match and might give us "some idea" as for the price bracket.
    Both sold new by Ch. Pozzi, the historic french importer.

-Two years ago, a 1983 GTS QV in Monaco: 768 kms on the odometer (attested by the car's file, etc...) which is 475 miles; price asked was 205.000 euros (about 227.500 U$); of course, the actual price at the sale is unknown.

-Last year, châssis 58711, a very late production 308 GTB QV, registered in France (Alsace) in march 1986 ("6668 TY 67") appeared out of a trailer, with 3.000 kms on the odo (= 2.000 miles) easily proved; the owner published the pics but said he was "not sure" he wanted to sell it; but the car was actually for sale this year in April at the Techno Classica Salon in Essen, Germany: 178.000 euro asked (about 195.000 U$).

Rgds

eyeman1234 likes this.
  17. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    I have a couple questions (our '85 is an Euro)... Shouldn't this car have an air pump? Did that go away on the US '85? Looks like the entire underside was sprayed with cosmoline... Is that normal for cars that were shipped overseas? Our car (German delivery) has a bit, but nothing like that. I haven't seen the top of the fuel injection distributor in black before... All that cad plating looks amazing (except for the fuel shut off on the distributor). I know it is a Cal car, but wow that held up well... Love the stock(?) radio. Super cool. The car does look amazing. Would those be the original tires? Really fun to pour through the photos. Thanks for posting!

Franny

18. kurtbob

kurtbob Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Augusta, GA
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Bring a Trailer has become a favorite auction site for many well-heeled and famous people. Jerry Seinfeld was the first one who got me looking at it. You'd be surprised how popular a venue it is for selling cars.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Even has the clock tag

But letting it sit required $8K of service. I say buy it and drive it or just let it sit, look at it, never start it and save the 8 large

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    only 83 had the air pump

FrannyB likes this.
  21. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    #21 eyeman1234, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    I wonder what the range is for the repair bills for all the seals, parts, etc. that will be due in time for a time capsule like this...

22. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    beautiful car low miles hagerty values prices have come down on 308/328 and tr but asking prices are very high ,that was a strong number for this 308 imo

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's not over until tomorrow. :)

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  24. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No air pump and black (steel) fuel distributor is correct for US ‘85. As noted before the undercoating is not a US thing, never seen anything like hat before on any other QV.

FrannyB likes this.
  25. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    Looks like it is missing the targa top cover, and no window sticker? I read something in the auction comments about the targa covers coming with a black zippered storage case in the auction - never heard of that before.