Getting too much attention? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Getting too much attention?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Superdog0013, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    same in westchester, the f40 or diablo on the other hand....had a guy in midtown run into the middle of the street pretty close to the cross and just bow to the f40 for about 15 second. insane.

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My Ferrari’s got middle finger and a lot of foul language and jealousy. People yelling all kinds of things in SoCal, 1%er related.

The Lambo 100% love and awe and admiration from all. Whole different experience which I must say is refreshing and makes ownership that much more enjoyable.

I wouldn’t let any of above stop me from buying another Ferrari if I loved their current lineup.

3. sidewalk

sidewalk Rookie

Oct 6, 2018
    Ontario/New York
    Full Name:
    SM
    Most definitely your 812 in GS will get attention. Excellent colour choice for the 812 lines IMO. When in 512TR and Grigio
    Silverstone GTC4LUSSO V12 I get almost constant attention. Love when parents lower rear windows for the kids to hear it. Tinted windows are a must!

4. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005

Similar experience up here in Vancouver and the hatred is towards all exotics because exotics = the 1%. I've had people talk crap to me, stare downs, excessive tailgating, you name it. I rarely park my cars anywhere in DT, even in valet which usually is secure but still your car isn't safe.

Just a few weeks ago someone I know valeted his Huracan spyder with the top down at one of our 5 star hotels and some hater decided to throw a hamburger inside the car. Just last week another friend who owns a 720s parked up for literally 15 minutes and when he came back to his car someone had poured coffee all over his car and make things worst it was 85f outside so imagine hot coffee on hot paint.

sidewalk likes this.
  5. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

I wonder why the difference?
    Is Lambo considered so rare and astronomically expensive that people don’t bother with “1%er” hate, figure you’re a mogul or something?
    Curious....

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Have not experienced even a single negative reaction. The excitement and enthusiasm generated by all the Lambos I have owned has been remarkable. By all ages from 5 year old to little old ladies. Porshes generally ignored . The 430 some attention but not much.

Bundy likes this.
  8. liquid360

liquid360 Karting

Sep 25, 2018
    Depends where you are. I’m in Moody, AL and nobody here has ever seen a Ferrari so my red 488GTB attracts crowds everywhere I go, but in a major city it’s likely receive little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro View attachment 2716263

EastMemphis likes this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    IMO ferrari screams elitist and Lambo says rockstar.
    That’s not to say anything about the owners, just the imagery.

10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Having owned all three like many here, I think it's the cliche red car everyone knows--Ferrari.

Lambo and McLaren, people literally have no no clue (I'm referring to the other 99% of the people not those here) what they are. Especially Mac--most common question "what is that"...reply "McLaren"...they reply "never heard of it, but looks amazing."

Ferrari everyone knows that red car...hence the hate.

My .02.

sidewalk and dustman like this.
  11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Getting too much attention can attract danger. I had a car swerved across three lanes in front of me on the freeway. The driver was trying to take a video of my 360 Spider while holding his cellphone over his left shoulder. Owning an exotic means learning how to drive defensively.

DBomb117 and killer58 like this.
  12. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    #37 RoyalPink, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Perception coming from the younger generation. Asked my two boys in detail (22, 25) who are really into cars and so are their friends. This is the general consensus. I'd imagine most of the younger generation would have or agree to these perceptions.

Audi - bland/not cool enough
    BMW - yawn
    Corvette - old man trying too hard/can't afford a real exotic car
    Ferrari: stodgy/stuck up but still cool because it's a Ferrari
    Lambo: hip/cool/rebellious, rockstar-ish
    McLaren: too new, weird/strange and spaceship looking - but still cool
    Mercedes-AMG: attainable/admired status symbol among the younger generation
    Porsche: boring, some models look cool

Shark01 and perrinnation like this.
  13. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 458 Spider is Grigio Silverstone and I get waves and occasional good-natured comments. I sometimes get middle fingers too. I drove recently with my friend driving alongside in his green Aventador and my Ferrari completely disappeared!

VAF84 and Shark01 like this.
  14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    >> Mercedes-AMG: attainable/admired status symbol among the younger generation

I got a lot of attention driving around my 2017 brilliant blue metallic SL63. Nothing negative ever. My favorite comment happened driving through a parking lot with the top down and a guy, maybe 30ish exclaimed that the car was "a real work of art." There are very few high end cars in Memphis and even fewer exotics. That probably helps with the issue of hating the 1%'ers. There just aren't many, certainly less than 1% of the Memphis population.

VAF84 and Bundy like this.
  15. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    I know what you mean, having had a modified 458 in an area where any Ferrari type of car is rare...I underestimated this as well. Cameras on you constantly, people surrounding the car in parking lots. Guy took a selfie with me at a stoplight. I expected attention but that’s farther than I anticipated. In more populated areas, it’s not like that.

liquid360 likes this.
  16. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I have a Nero 458 spider and 90% are positive here in OC Cali. I was driving to an event in Huntington Beach and took Harbor Blvd from my home and Disneyland is on that street, there is a long signal at Katella and all the tourists walking to Disneyland stared and took pictures of the car. There was a group of kids around 9 or 10 and I reeved the engine to about 8k and they all cheered and yelled and where all smiles and laughter made me smile to get that kind of reaction, also did the same thing at a high school in my neighborhood to the visiting team waiting to get on their bus same reaction all positive for the unjaded in life

17. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    I was at the gas station last week struggling as always to put gas in my 458 when a kid got out of his moms car and politely asked if he could take a photo of it. He then said, "One day I'm going to buy a Ferrari too" and that put a huge smile on my face.

Sprucemoose, DBomb117, VAF84 and 5 others like this.
  18. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Obviously going to be regional sensitive/different, but my observations in Uk, town and country , points always to a red Ferrari causes more dislike. Never had issues in dozens of F cars, but my 458 coupe in RC got plenty of abuse. To back this up, I had a Portofino in Titanio, recently sold, not used much, but comments all very complimentary. Was handed a RC Portofino whilst a car was in for service work. Wow what a difference, people cutting me up, wanting to race, hand signs... Therefore for me a non super car RC Ferrari has been my only negative. All others, without exception have had big positives .

19. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    If you think a Ferrari gets attention, don't buy a Lambo or a Mclaren, next level.

Shark01, IPO1 and sidewalk like this.
  20. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    At the risk of thread-jacking, I am interested in your struggles putting gas in your 458. There is an older thread at https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/filling-up-the-458-with-gas.398989/page-3, specifically talking about problems in CA, that I might update. I'm in San Diego and had never had a problem until recently, when my tank was less than half full and the nozzle at the gas station I always go to just would not engage.

Thread specific, I drive a Rosso Corsa / Nero 458 Spider and have never had a bad encounter. People come up to me at the store, in the parking lot, wherever, and ask me about the car and ask if they can take a picture. Everyone seems to love it. Best encounter: I was at the doctor's office a little over a year ago, in the waiting room. Someone walked in and asked, "who has the red Ferrari outside?" I raised my hand and said "Guilty!" He asked me where my Hawaiian shirt and big mustache were (this was before the remake of Magnum PI had aired).

21. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    +1

Shark01 likes this.
  22. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    It works at any station, but some nozzles are more difficult than others. You just have to literally hold back the rubber with one hand as you push it in with the other for it to engage. You can also try different angles of insertion as well. Sounds sexy I know.

23. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a strikingly beautiful triple paint 488 and it's pretty much incognito on the Miami streets aside from a few cell phone pics here & there (mainly from tourists)

I've had the car for about 4-5 months now and haven't even had someone make a comment at a gas station before, which sure is nice!

I don't think I could get used to the attention of having a supercar in a small town. Having huge crowds swarm the car every time you park it sounds pretty scary for an introvert like myself! :)

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I would love to catch someone doing this to my or someone else's car. I'd probably get locked up but I guarantee you they would never do it again.

Viperjoe likes this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This is true. I cannot park my new car without people losing their minds but at least it's all been positive so far.