Part project of A/C Control plate #61838600/700 | FerrariChat

Part project of A/C Control plate #61838600/700

Discussion in '308/328' started by bertrand328, May 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I have another remanufacturing part project with the frame or face/plate for A/C control located on the 328 center console.

As several others interior parts these are no longer available and very hard to find ( mainly the blue and the yellow ). I looking for these and step by step I noticed that some of them wasn’t exactly same as the others. It’s look like some remake parts has been even done. When ? Who ? There are even some who put a stickers in place.

But all of them haven’t a good quality and appearance ( to me ) and with time the result is more and more dirty ( see pictures below ). I thing one of this « new remake frame » was fitted on my own car and it’s look like very poor face today.

So I will try to manufacture them but it’s look like not very easy because there parts are « backlit » when the headlight are on. The drawing appear « on the light » but of course not the black part. And this small drawing must be exactly the same as the original.

I will study this problem the next weeks, some of F-Chatter would have ideas about it ? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Interesting pictures, looks like the color was applied first then a stencil was used to cover just the part to remain colored, same stencil on each piece, then painted black or printed black.

3. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I think the OEM was two ( or three ? ) different parts assembled. Somes redone parts could be one part with paint or "coating". That could explain the result seen on the last picture

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think the early cars - 86 - 87 have the smooth black finish. and the later cars with convex wheels have the small lip and dimpled finish. I created my own sticker on vinyl to put on my blue AC plate... it works ok but I would love to have all new plates.

also on the bottom is a small pin - dimple call it what you like, but that helps locate the plate and holds it in place with the actual knob ....

I'm not sure how they did this- other than slik screen the colors on the clear plastic plate.

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I think that is EXACTLY how they did it.

Lester

6. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I think there is only one original model and I don't find several parts number in the spare parts catalogue. But that could be help if some F-Chatter 328 owner publish somes photos of these parts of their car ( early and late model )

7. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

I Don't understand what you mean with the "small pin". Are you sure that it is on the plate ?

8. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Could be but it doesn't look like as an OEM part. I think it is a redone part made by ???

9. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I'll get pictures of mine as soon as it's delivered.

bertrand328 likes this.
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    on the reverse of the plate, there is usually a small plastic bump- that they use to hold the plate in position - which simply digs into the leather.

11. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Ok I see. Indeed there are two small bumps on the other side

12. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    And it's been delayed 24 hours. :mad:

13. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Sorry - my plates are just as wiped out as your pics. Put me down for some of your new ones when you make them ;)

14. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Any other 328 owners could share photos of these parts from his car please ?

15. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Old picture but it's from my 328 1989 U.K. Rhd, I have some old spare switches, I'll dig them out, they may be new or worn out, no idea, got to find them in the garage :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

Thanks in advance

17. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Found a box full but they are all worn out, the actual switches are all OK and the knobs on top of the switches all have a very small Alan key screw in which secures it to the switch.
    Put me down for a set as well please if you manage to re manufacture some
    Thanks

18. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Paul,
    the knob are manufactured last month and delivered with the scew. I still to study the "plate" project currently
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cmsdk and Milkshaker0007 like this.
  19. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I will have my car back Friday - and lose it again Monday. I can work on getting as many pictures as you need over the weekend.

bertrand328 likes this.
  20. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Sadly this project is suspended. Hope it's not definitive

21. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    What happened?

22. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I am surprised by the lack of interest from others owners and no real request. And I spent lot of time and money for the previous projects.

steved033 likes this.
  23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Perhaps you just need a bit more time for the greater population of owners to become aware of this new product, and express an interest in it.

Good luck. :)

24. rpochi

rpochi Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Ochi
    Bummer, just came across this thread. There has been interest in this in the past as you have probably seen:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/328-ac-control-switch-plate.334914/

So the early cars had the clear plates with the black background and overlayed color for the respective switches. This was then superseded with the plain black plastic with the rim at the edges. I bought one of the decal/stickers of the blue AC plate from a UK supplier can't remember whom (Eurospares, Superperformance or Maranello autoparts), but never put it on.

I have some switch plates for you to examine if you wish to take this project up again.