Do you agree with the steward's decision today? *** Spoilers *** | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Do you agree with the steward's decision today? *** Spoilers ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Jun 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Just another reason not to watch anymore, F1 is a joke.

I like what Brundle said to Toto in post race interview about different parts of the track and the reason for the rule.

Isobel, Bas and JLF like this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That only applies IF the incident happens during an overtake. The only reason Elton was so close to Vettel when he rejoined the track is because Vettel lost time going across the grass (as usually he would be on the gas from the first apex into the second part of the corner, something he wasn’t when playing grasstrack racer).

Seb didn’t lose a position, nor did he enter the corner under threat of losing the position, while entering the corner his car lost traction, to rescue the slide he straightened up as you are taught in driver ed 101, and saved his car, and his position luckily. As Seb himself said, had Elton seen the inside line available, he could have slipped past Seb just by being clever enough to get off the gas himself as Seb shot across the track and then getting on it earlier and harder (as he didn’t have grass on his tyres) and outdragged Seb down the straight. Elton, as usual, kept his foot in, expecting everyone to jump out of his way, and the stewards as usual either bought it, or WERE bought. Either way, they made the most ridiculous yet of decisions, but nothing new of course where favouring Mercedes, and in particular Elton, is concerned.

Ferrari have appealed things tonight as far as I’m aware, and I’m told Seb was particularly aggrieved by the decision, which he and many at Ferrari have taken to heart in a very bad way. The FIA should have stepped in and nullified the decision, because the last thing the formula needs now is more insinuations of bias or favouritism.

3. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Exactly what I heard as well.

4. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    I believe he said that Hamilton might have been able to pass going to the left in a post race interview. I don't believe it was in the car.

5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Screw F1, screw the stewards, screw that cocky prick Toto. This “sport” is rapidly going down the crapper.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    End of argument.

The stewards, not VET, ****ed up.

daytona355, Isobel, Oengus and 4 others like this.
  7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I think the penalty was not totally out of place, but it was a strict application of the rule, and not coherent with other previous rulings, just like in Monaco with Verstappen

If the stewards think that a strict application of the rules is more important than not ****ing up a championship that already is quite ****ed up... well, that's their choice and can't argue with that.

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The appeal mechanism is available. This is not over. I agree with your post. We have rules and they should be applied. The lack of not applying them or having them 'lightly' applied opens doors and drivers use them. The stricter application should be used. Less variance gets the point across. Or simply do away with it. Have walls and curbs and mistakes will be punished with no interpretation lol :)

william likes this.
  9. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Geez, guys, try to be objective.

First, I thought the stewards made a bad decision. Kid Index should have been the winner. But my comments are that his actions post-race (whether he was jobbed or not) were entirely unprofessional. Fans are there, sponsors are there, people are there doing their jobs and KI acted like a twit--it was all about him.

Second, as for Toto, what do you expect? He has a team to run and he MUST stand up for his drivers and teams. You think he should just capitulate to KI's temper tantrum?

Be objective--KI should have won, but the conduct by KI afterward was bad. And Toto was doing his job.

Surfah, Phil~, ATBNM3 and 5 others like this.
  10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The problem is always the same: the stewards are not consistent. I remember a similar action in a Hamilton vs Ricciardo at Monaco a few years ago. No penalty then, so it's quite obvious that people will get confused and/or angry if now they do something different.

daytona355 likes this.
  11. DF1

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has said the FIA’s decision to punish Sebastian Vettel with a five-second penalty in Canada has to be respected.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-calls-for-fia-stewards-to-be-respected/

The controversial penalty given to the Ferrari driver has caused widespread uproar, with many believing that the penalty was harsh and that Vettel was in fact the worthy winner of the Canadian Grand Prix.

But, the official result means it is Hamilton who has bagged a fifth win in seven races to further extend his World Championship lead. Vettel hanging on to second from team-mate Charles Leclerc.

The FIA have come in for some very heavy criticism with Vettel unsurprisingly leading the complaints, but Wolff wants people to put the pitchforks away.

Wolff told Sky Sports: “I am of course bias towards Mercedes and if there is a rule that says you need to leave a car’s width when you go off the track and I think his instinctive reaction was ‘I need to protect this position’ even if it was a tiny bit too far.

“If you’re a Ferrari fan, or somebody who’s keen on seeing hard racing, then I think you’d like to see a bit more bumper cars.

“The race stewards are people who need to be supported. There’s Emanuele [Pirro] up there, it doesn’t get any more professional or experienced than Emanuele, and I think that they’ve looked at the incident and that needs to be respected. We shouldn’t ignite it even more.”

Wolff then brought up the pit-lane incident between Max Verstappen and Valtteri Bottas in Monaco, saying Mercedes did not complain about that controversial incident.

Calling the stewards blind, storming off, switching the 1 and 2 signs…

How Sebastian Vettel reacted to the win that was 'stolen' away from him…https://t.co/KnOn2v5ZBG #F1 pic.twitter.com/0JFtJVWSVD

— Planet F1 (@Planet_F1) June 9, 2019

He said: “In Monaco, Valtteri [Bottas] was squeezed against the pit wall, and we thought that the five second penalty [to Max Verstappen] was a bit lenient.

“We didn’t complain about it, we just took it. Sometimes decisions go for you, sometimes they go against you.”

“They have come up with a controversial decision but they have just put into place what is black and white.

“We need to rely on regulations and this is why we go racing, if we want to change regulations and I’m up for that.”

Sky Sports F1 presenter Martin Brundle challenged Wolff’s opinion, but the Mercedes boss did not want to get involved in a big debate.

“Listen Martin I’m not going to argue with that one,” he said.

“It’s never 100 percent black and white. Wherever you stand its 60/40 decision, for and 60/40 against, and fair enough to interpret the other way and I respect your opinion.

“I think a win is a win and you need to take the points you would rather do it clean on track but you have to take these days also.

“I think the stewards will always polarise the race, they penalised it, sometimes it looks lenient, sometimes it looks hard but you need to take it even if it goes against you.”

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  12. DF1

Vettel is the least impressive 'sportsman' out there. Composure he lacks and a decent temperment in situations of pressure. Another failure on and off the track today.

Phil~, ATBNM3, william and 3 others like this.
  13. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Peter Windsor weighs in on the situation.

ATBNM3 and montpellier like this.
  14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if there was still any doubt that the FIA is completely in the pocket of Mercedes, that was put to rest today.
    the FIA stewards have shown everyone in the world, their true colors today, and Formula 1 is worse off for it.

E60 M5, JLF, daytona355 and 1 other person like this.
  15. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    Should have won, but that tantrum was embarrassing.

william likes this.
  16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I’m a racer. From my POV it was a bad call. There are a lot of things going on. When you look at that turn, the setup to it, the line out of it, the other places you can or cannot drive, the risk to SV , and LH, I think SV did the right and safe thing. He may have saved LH. It is very possible that SV would loose even more control with upsetting his chassis and let off the gas on a 1000hp car looking most of its aero grip due to the configuration of that corner looking more mechanic in grip than aero. If SV slows and looses more control and LH just dives for the racing line SV could have speared LH. An injury or death could result. SV keeping on the gas reduces upset of his chassis and the turn causes the racing line and SV naturally goes there. He even tried to leave room. LH being just a bit behind has to back out of the gas or he wrecks but a wreck would not end up with LH getting speared. What is fun and cool about racing is the dynamic chessboard that is evolving each second. Racers need to make instant judgements as events unfold. SV was not in control. The car was wiggling all the way to exit of the turn. SV did the safest thing he could do under those conditions.

I’m not saying this because I’m a SV lover. I would have rather seen the team use SV as a pick to back LH into CL, and have CL take a stab at being 1st. The team had nothing to loose because 2 3 was going to be the result for the constructor regardless. Backing up LH could have been an amazing Hail Mary if it worked.

daytona355 likes this.
  17. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I will preface this by saying that I like Ham and Seb. However, I think that was an incorrect/BS call by the stewards. To me, it was a racing incident, as there will always be mistakes made on track. If they ain't rubbing, they ain't racing! Strict interpretation of the rules by all four stewards determined the result of this race. Whereas, IMHO, if they used the spirit of the rule, it would have been called a racing incident. With the passing of Charlie Whiting, it seems there are more strict interpretation of the rules, and time penalties handed out.

Isobel and daytona355 like this.
  18. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Agreed. Keep politics out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    If Vettel hadn't done that error, he would have won. He didn't do it voluntary, of course, but he did: next time let's stay on the track and you will win. Another victory thrown to the wind by Vettel: they are many, too many.

And all the show he did after the race is not what you expect from a top paid professional F1 champion: maybe there will be another sanction for what he did after the race. Why he doesn't stay calm and on the contrary he always does stupid things? he is not the judge (like he wanted to be in Baku…), he is a driver and has to respect what they decide. If he thinks they weren't correct, Ferrari has ton of lawyers and so he can ask a revision.

In my opinion Ferrari needs a driver's replacement next year: I really don't like him anymore.

ciao

Surfah, ATBNM3, Bmill and 3 others like this.
  20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Anyone that thinks an appeal will change anything is dreaming. The appeal will only check if the stewards decision was applied through a correct interpretation of the rules. Sadly, I believe it was.

Doesn’t change the fact that the stewards should have applied ‘racers’ discretion and not penalised Vettel - in the same way that they haven’t penalised Hamilton, Verstappen and all the others on countless other occasions.

The key problem, apart from over regulation driven by the personal interests of individual teams, is inconsistency of the stewards. They need the same stewards at all races not this constant merry go round of guest stewards enjoying an all expenses paid free trip to a GP to see their mates.

Isobel, yamashek, stavura and 2 others like this.
  21. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    so if we take back to Monaco Hamilton should have had a 5 second penalty for his chop on Verstappen, Werstappen had his front wheels inside Hamiltons car, time to employ the same stewards at all races, who have recent F1 experience so understand whats going on. The damage however is now done the FIA is actually MIA

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    When you look at this video from Montreal 2018 when Perez tangles with Sainz then careers across the grass rejoining at right angles to the track just missing another collision with 2 cars...i assume the stewards looked at it being a racing incident ,and the rejoin although potentially dangerous was basically out of the control of Perez ..so that was it .https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.sainz-and-perez-blame-each-other-for-canada-collision.1lgT3E71Daiwy2woqkK8s8.html

Now you have Vettel going off track and rejoining the track ...the question i think is whether Vettel was in real control once he got back on the tarmac and intentionally continued back onto the racing line or was he still 'a passenger' sliding across the track and had no chance to alter his line to the left/slow down.

He did make a very definate quite big control input to the right once he was back on track ,was this to control the back end still stepping out due oversteer etc or a move to block Lewis,or a combination?

The data from his car should answer that question.

I thought it was a harsh decision ,now the Stewards/FIA will take a deeper look at it .Let's see.

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Different stewards, different tracks, different circumstances, bring different décisions. That's obvious.

ATBNM3 and Albert-LP like this.
  24. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #99 DeSoto, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    BS, William, and you know it. Inconsitency in penalties is a major issue, and all drivers have complained about it for years. I know that we´re not living in a white and black world, but FIA stewards often defy any logic: similar or even more obvious cases have been already exposed here (Hamilton/Ricciardo at Monaco 2016, Pérez/Sainz at Canada 2018, etc...) and those went without penalty.

I don´t know how to fix it, but as you point, a good beginning would be hiring always the same team of stewards. They should be kept under constant scruteneering to keep them honest and replace them when they **** it up too often: it´s impossible to rule when nobody trust the rulers, something that is happening now.

It´s almost incredible that Whiting kept his job for so many years when everybody loathed him: the bastard had to die to get rid of him! He was not always wrong... but he had screwed it too many times to be trusted.

Isobel, SPEEDCORE, Picchu88 and 2 others like this.
  25. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    +1

Isobel and Bas like this.