Saab Story | FerrariChat

Saab Story

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by KMR968Turbo, Jun 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Any Saab fans out there? I grew up in a Saab 99 - I believe it was an EMS. Can't say for certain what year. The car was originally red and my dad had it painted orange. It was our faithful steed until one day Mom rolled it in a ditch. She survived unscathed despite not wearing seatbelts - it was the early 80's and nobody wore them in northern Canada. Believe it or not the car was fixed up after the accident by a friend who drove it for years until it finally died and was crushed. I am trying to find one to put in my garage just for old time sake and to take my 78 year old father for a ride from time to time. Selection is limited and in a perfect world I would prefer an early EMS in orange. But you probably know how hard it is to find clean, rust free cars these days. I’ve attached some pictures of my parents old car – before and after the accident.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You will have to forgive the quality and composition of the photos. I was 13 and with print film you didn't take too many pictures of the same thing. LOL

3. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have been searching for several years to find a clean Saab 99 like our old car. Rust is the enemy of these cars and finding a rust free one is a challenge. Found a couple in the US but by the time you figure in exchange, shipping and taxes the price is double what it should be. The only way to cost effectively buy a low dollar car is to find one locally. I finally found a bought a cinnamon red 1976 Saab 99. Only two owners and 58,000 original miles. Best of all, no rust. It's not an EMS nor is it sunburst orange but at this point I will take what I can find. Have it being gone through mechanically and hope to pick it up in the next few weeks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

wax likes this.
  4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Fantastic!

Hope you are able to make it quite the roadworthy drive for your Father!

Forgive all the exclamation marks!

I had 2 Saab 900s. 1 hardtop & 1 soft with turbo. In either case, driver position was perfection. Still lust after SPG, particularly with ROW whale tail. US spec had that rubbery low thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Isobel likes this.
  5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I had a few 900's. Tough as hell if you get a good one. One of mine was 420+k miles before it needed a gas cap restoral.

I was acquainted with a woman that got a 900 SPG with the whale tail as a present from her dad or someone. White, with all the extras. A little pimp looking, but it looked cool enough.

Isobel and wax like this.
  6. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I had an MT 9-3 hatchback. I loved that car. Put about 120K on it with nothing more than maintenance and a new ignition cassette.

7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Isobel and wax like this.
  8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Beautiful 99. Love the Ronal ’minilites’, had them on my convertible. Looking at the rolled 99, I didn’t realize Saabs were available in Canada in the early 70’s. Don’t remember if any dealers were set up in Eastern Canada until 77 maybe ? Owned an 82 900 5 speed 4 door in Antelope (Webasto roof and Gotti rims) a black 87 auto hatchback, a charcoal 87 turbo auto convertible and presently own a 2006 2.0T Fusion blue 5 spd 9-3 sedan. The 0riginal 99/900 is such a treat to drive, the only sedan I could compare it to would be a Citroen DS, aero and completely unique, except it feels twice as solid. So comfortable and secure to drive, truly confidence inspiring at speed.
    Fun to watch a few fly in anger....;)

wax likes this.
  10. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I saw that one it is almost exactly what I was looking for. However, the auction ended without meeting reserve and in general bringing one to Canada can double the cost.

11. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My parents moved to Canada from Montana and brought the car with them.

Isobel likes this.
  12. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Thank you ! Seemed odd they’d have dealers in the west and none in the east at the time, especially as they proliferated in New England. Naturally, I notice fewer and fewer on the roads when I travel down to Cape Cod these days, somewhat disheartening actually, always looked forward to seeing a healthy supply of them prior to my annual pilgrimage to Hyannis Saab during vacation. No clue why they took so long to introduce AWD, it was a natural for them and they could have capitalized early judging from the expansion of Subaru and Audi. Never understood what kept them out of Canada until the late 70’s either, crazy.

Nice 65 Meteor, btw. ;)

13. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Loved my 03' 9-5 dearly. Hence my username :). Sadly the motor blew at 91k and after the swap it was never the same. Lots of great memories though. 4 doors+21lbs boost+5spd manual=bliss

Father had a '00 9-3 vert as well.

KMR968Turbo likes this.
  14. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal

I had a black SPG, great fun to drive. Loved pegging the boost gage. The car gave up its life when a drunk went left of center and hit me head on. I walked away without a scratch

wax likes this.
  15. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The Meteor belongs to the guy I purchased the car from. I have a Volvo 1800ES that will be the stable mate for the Saab. :)

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Ha...
    I had a Volvo 1800ES and a SAAB SPG at the same time for several years.

BTW, the oil pressure gauge in the dash of the 1800ES is NOT electronic.
    There is an oil line running to the gauge.
    The line sprung a leak one morning on the way to work, spraying HOT oil on my right leg.