Do you agree with the steward's decision today? *** Spoilers *** | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Do you agree with the steward's decision today? *** Spoilers ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Jun 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

LOL

2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Formula One is a sport of milliseconds. Every single second, a driver must make several decisions.

If you're not up for that, you have no business behind the wheel of an F1 car.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  3. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    So at what point does a driver cross over from being in control to being a passenger? 1/2 a millisecond? 1/4 of a millisecond?

daytona355 likes this.
  4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #129 TifosiUSA, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    SO GLAD Vettel did this. Moving the numbers was hilarious and one of the best moments of the season. The roar of the crowd said it all. Aren't you always talking about how you want drivers with personality and not PR robots?

5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #130 TifosiUSA, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Lol at "I didnt want to win this way"

He celebrated like he won the WDC. More hypocrisy from him. He was happy to steal a win from Bottas last year at Russia which was egregious as Austria 02 but the media forgot about that quickly while they went absolutely monkey poop when Ferrari did it

Or how about when Hamilton dangerously cuts across the track after being told not to pit in Germany 2018. Clear violation of rules but of course he gets a "reprimand"

Or Monaco 2016 vs. Ricciardo. Makes mistake, misses chicane and then blocks Ricciardo after returning to the track. Of course no penalty for Lewis. For the record he shouldn't have been penalized in that one either but let's have a modicum of consistency.

daytona355 and PBT58 like this.
  6. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    BOOM...and yes!

william likes this.
  7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Really what the issue is that he did not RE enter the track unsafely. He RE entered as any driver would in his position and in a normal fashion. Lewis had plenty of room. Lewis didn’t have to do any swerving or even change his course. He simply slowed a bit without event or issue. Elton decides to try to fish for a penalty for Vettel claiming he rejoined the track in an unsafe manner. The FIA jump through hoops as quick as possible issue Vettel a penalty for rejoining the track in an unsafe manner. This cost Vettel a well earned and well deserved victory causing a lot of anger from not only tifosi but also many of the F1 community. Well after all the backlash they’re changing their story to claiming that AFTER Vettel rejoined the track and gaining his traction that he changed direction again to block Lewis. Well, this is a different accusation than what Elton claimed AND what they penalized him for which was RE joining the track in a dangerous manner. They’ve changed their story revealing their knee jerk kowtowing to Mercedes and Elton Hamdashian Queen of all that is F1. If they had simply said he moved too many times defending his position it would have been a lot more palatable to Ferrari fans and race fans for that matter. They didn’t say that because it wasn’t really what they penalized him. They have an agenda and answer to Mercedes and Elton.

Bmill, fil and daytona355 like this.
  8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    BREAKING NEWS: Daimler Benz buys Liberty Media.

I kid.

stavura, fil, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  9. PBT58

PBT58 Karting

Jul 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Peter T
    All these ridiculous FIA rules and penalties are killing F1.
    No wonder I can't get my car-nut buddies to watch a race with me.
    Let the racers race.

stavura, JLF, daytona355 and 3 others like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No they didn't.

Umbrella corp did ;)

daytona355 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Why would you buy something you already own?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Yep, couldn’t get more silver in here if they had bought it. I almost feel like a super villain when I post pro-Ferrari..... must buy myself a fluffy *****! How very 80’s that would be hahahahahahahahahaha

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 the larger issue is Vettel and pressure. The corner he lost control on was a symptom of his defining issue the last 2+ years. I gave him due credit for a great qualy lap and P1. I also posted he needed to just have a super good race and move on and not suffer under pressure. There was no wake turbulence affecting him that he can admit to or be proven was the cause of his tour of the lawn. It was him most likely and his result anger shows. I dont care to be a minority or majority with this. Its not the first case or the last. He just needs to get right and often for that to be a challenge to Mercedes. His largest challenge faces him in the mirror.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Completely disagree. Its the passing driver who has responsibility to execute a clear - SAFE pass. it was neither clear nor safe to think you are going to pass there.

if you look at the timing of when they went into the corner it was about 1.2Sec... and when they came out - and the lap after - there was no advantage gained by Vettel.... if anything he lost time - but maintained the lead. It's a rule but given the split second nature of the event - its hardly a pre meditated event... and was simply a racing event. I've raced cars - and currently race Karts - and when you have an off - other than being safe for your self and others its hard to recall all the rules when there is no room. Vettel's speed went down so he lost the gap he had ... but then built it up over again. it was Vettel's race 100% ... the stewards could have chosen to give a grid drop on the next race or add 5.s to his next qualifying ... but to decide a race like this ... very bad call. If Vettel did it as a defense maneuver to gain an advantage then a penalty is warranted... this was clearly tire's going off - following in the wake of other cars and it got away from him for a second.... racing incident.

20 years ago this would have been a race people would say - wow what a battle... 20 years from now people will say this is when the sport was turned into a script and run by producers.

I know Piro - and he's a great guy but think he just made a wrong call... and he's going to get lots of crap for this.... justifiably.

Picchu88, PBT58, LittleTino and 2 others like this.
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We're old ones who can now say when I was young it was REAL RACING!

I count my self lucky to have seen all but a few Greats like Fangio, Moss, Clark race.... but I've seen all the others up close too. the 70-1993 was an amazing period of F-1 ... I never thought that it would be "the good old days".... but they are. (Sadly Ferrari only had a brief winning period back then... )

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Daimler Benz, a Church of Satan company.

daytona355 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I think he had tire mgmt. issues along with some turbulence from both cars and the breeze. If you have been to the Circuit - you would remember that at the far end you get a constant breeze - and when you turn inland the trees create a wind tunnel... its not especially terrible but it can have an effect. I don't think Hamilton was putting that much pressure on him going into the turn - and clearly Vettel was concerned about his tires and pulling a gap.... it was a simple mistake.... I do agree he's had a lot of gaffs... but I also don't think Ferrari have given him a car he can really use like the old Red bulls and what Newey was able to deliver to him.

regardless the Canadian GP was a Vettel win, ruined by the Stewards.

PBT58 and daytona355 like this.
  18. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Nico is obviously going stand by a decision that favors Mercedes. Its like asking Toto's opinion.

JLF likes this.
  19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I don't think Hamilton has anything to be sorry for - perhaps he could have been a bit more circumspect on the podium after having see the replay... I think Vettel got it 100% right. People were just saying how they loved Niki Lauda used to call it like he see's it... and here is Vettel doing the same thing - and they say he's winer... I think he showed his true feelings - and that is refreshing.

PBT58, daytona355 and 05011994 like this.
  20. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    The official reason for the punishment was that car No.5 had rejoined the track "in an unsafe manner."

21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    The thing about this is Vettel has to put his car absolutely on the edge every single race just to try and compete with the Mercedes. Hamilton doesn’t have to do that. Therefore Vettel is almost certain to lose the car more often. A few were seemingly bonehead moves but not all.

Picchu88, dflett, Evolved and 4 others like this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Hamiton admits he would have done the same move and squeeze Seb.

daytona355 likes this.
  23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Of course he would...

Like I said, if I'm Merc/Hamilton, I'm certainly howling about an unsafe return, but I expected the stewards to see it as a tricky save that didn't result in any tears. As I understand it, they were specifically unhappy with Seb keeping his foot on the throttle throughout the episode. When you're trying to get a win, I think you will do whatever you can in that situation to keep a lead, as long as it doesn't result in a collision. I think that's why Vet was so upset...he probably thought it was a heroic save versus an unsafe return.

All that said, Seb should not complain about the penalty. Let everyone else do that, but at the end of the day he did make the mistake that caused the event.

24. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    And then he’d have been on the blower moaning how Seb was trying a dangerous move up the outside trying to go past him and nearly causing him to **** his pants and bring up his dinner with fright, and asking for a penalty as he was ‘only saving the car from a clear spin, and he should have been allowed the space for whatever it takes as otherwise it’s dangerous’. Never any cake left when Elton is around

25. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "... the larger issue is Vettel and pressure. The corner he lost control on was a symptom of his defining issue the last 2+ years."

Has it been determined why Vettel lost control and ended up with all 4 wheels in the grass? Was it pressure, mechanical, air flow from backmarkers in front of him?

After 4 or 5 spins, at least it wasn't a spin. Is this progress?

william and werewolf like this.