Tailight defect/bug? | FerrariChat

Tailight defect/bug?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by [email protected], Nov 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. john@southwestpatrol.com

Nov 26, 2010
    Full Name:
    John Smith
    i just ordered a california and was shocked to see the round tail lights dont light up when you press the brake pedal..instead the brake lights are down below..even the ferrari dealer wasnt aware of this..why does this ferrari do this and is there a way that you can change that to have the round lights illuminate on when the brake pedal is pressed?

2. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    #2 FLU, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
    Yah, I heard it was due to the fact that the lights are attached on the trunk and the trunk on this car is a moving part. Specifically, US regulations wont allow it to be the brake lights. But if there is a will there's a way, I'm sure you can bypass that somehow.

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Of course there's away to do it. It just takes some simple rewiring.

AceMaster likes this.
  4. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Why don't they just make them all light up? Is there some kind of limit to the number of brake lights you can have?

5. Ray Fernandez

Ray Fernandez Rookie

Oct 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray Fernandez
    A previous post is right. The brake light cannot be on the openable trunk. Ferrari did not realize this until the design was completed and they put the brake lights lower. There are not very bright at all and I am not happy about this. I hate this part of my 2012 California and am going to see if there is a way to bypass this bad design and rewire the brake light so the big upper lights can become the brake lights; I think this would be a lot safer and perhaps keep someone from rear ending my car.
    If anyone has found a solution I would appreciate it very much if they share the information.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Interesting thoughts. To me that is one of my favorite parts about the design and makes it more interesting.

7. Ray Fernandez

Ray Fernandez Rookie

Oct 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray Fernandez
    Well, I guess you could say it is interesting but in reality it was a Ferrari mess up. Yesterday I had a friend step on the brakes while I stood behind the car on a sunny day and the brake lights are not very bright. To me this is very unsafe. The third brake light is bright so at least \that makes me feel safer.
    Do you know how to get the round taillights to become the brake lights?

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    The brake lights or Ferrari?:D

Just have to splice into the brake light wire and connect to the trunk lights..but since they ARE on the trunk, you will have to do a lot of running to reach the lights. Can't you just get brighter lights for the brakes?

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You have a fair point that I have not really considered- I don't have a Cali.
    I do not know how but I would ask the dealer if there is a wiring diagram somewhere. I would not expect them to do the work as it would probably be illegal for them to do so.
    There are also companies out there that can pulsate the brake lights once they are activated. That might help get the attention of the driver behind you.

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Wow, thats pretty pathetic if you ask me. I hope you guys can re wire and make your tail / brake lights WORK THE WAY THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN FROM THE FACTORY LOL

11. Ray Fernandez

Ray Fernandez Rookie

Oct 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray Fernandez
    Not sure what you mean by brake lights or Ferrari. Te big round taillights are led and they come on with the headlights. I do not know how I could turn these taillights into both the stop lights and night lights. In the old days the bulbs were night lights and stop lights and sometimes even turn signals.

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It was a joke in reference to the old text in the quote. We’ve already answered the question, it will require basic electrical system knowledge. It won’t happen by magic, it can only happen by running wires. It would be easier to look into brighter brake lights in the factory position.

13. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    A good car stereo installer should be able to set it up for you.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You can blame Uncle Sam, had to so with some rule that brake lights can't be mounted in trunk or something like that...had to be changed to meet the USA market

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No. This is very wrong, and do not attempt it. There is far far more to the lighting systems in these cars then meets the eye. It it not just simply power and ground anymore. It is PWM systems, can Bus, all controlled by body modules. Also the lights themselves do not support it. Do not attempt to rewire anything unless you have a complete understanding of how the system works.

16. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    mmoharter likes this.
  17. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Ferrari of BH wouldn't touch it, but my stereo guy (who is epic) took care of it for me. I posted a video in the thread above. Makes the car impossible to miss when braking as it should have been originally.

Chizz likes this.