Tracking my Pista at Laguna Seca Raceway | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tracking my Pista at Laguna Seca Raceway

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kevin1244, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Absolutely true. Majority of race tracks have sound limits. We have Thunderhill in northern Cali area without sound limit.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Some people do install systems that close the valves (mostly Porsche owners) based on the GPS signal as the car goes through turn 5 - or install Laguna pipes to turn the sound away from the sound booth. I am sure you have seen them. I have never done it; while I would love to have a no sound limit experience, I have come to accept it and move on. Really, in the end, lap time does not matter as long as I have pushed myself close to my limits such that I enjoy the car without risking to crash a >$500k car. Losing 2-4 seconds, at the most, is ok.
    I do have my SCCA license, so if I am racing, then I care. On racing days, there are no sound limits or at 104db; so all is fine.

3. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    You will enjoy this car!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Yes. On the Rennlist blog, there is much discussion about using a GPS controller on the muffler flaps to close and open on Turn 5.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    In a gt3rs.1 with a GPS valve open/shut system and turn away pipes; no problem meeting the sound at full throttle in the proper gear by the sound station.

There is a 488 owner who tracks regularly and has turn away pipes with a baffle inside those pipes. He says he can meet 90 DB with it.

Mclarens don't have valves in their US Spec cars., so it's trying to figure out the right way to manipulate it.

If they put sensors around the entire track then we can all say goodbye to tracking at Laguna.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Thank u very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Thank u!

8. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    I don't think they would ever put sensors all over the track. The track is a source of income and they make a lot of money by renting the track for track day events ($28k-$40k per day.) There are not enough large scale racing events at the track to be self sufficient and profitable. No one would rent the track with a 90-92db limit enforced for the entire track. So, I think sound booth in one corner is totally fine.

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    A 488 has an exhaust too loud for that track? That leaves room for what, a Miata?

arizonaitalian and tekaefixe like this.
  10. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Ignore the caption (this is from my instagram stories). I think some people might want to hear the Pista from track side at full throttle. If anyone has a public instagram then I can send it over to them and they can link it here. If anyone is interested then please post your instagram name and I'll shoot it over (I have a private account so I can't link it here).

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    View from behind.

12. Maggio23

Maggio23 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2013
    From 2:16 on the video, look at the windshield wiper. Ferrari should be ashamed of that.

kevin1244 likes this.
  13. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Good catch! I had not noticed. I should send the video to Ferrari and ask for a new Pista!

of2worlds and Maggio23 like this.
  14. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA

Thanks Sam! Awesome to see my driving from your vantage point...I definitely missed some corners...way too far from the apex.
    Is there a sound problem with the video? For the most part, I hear nothing.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler
    Thanks @exoticcardreamer for the re-post.
    Hi Kevin,
    Regarding the sound, yes, problem, I put some disclaimers in the Youtube description.

Caeruleus11 and kevin1244 like this.
  16. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Still, an awesome video. Thank you for posting. Love seeing my car (and your facial expressions while driving:))
    It was good meeting you in person at the event the other night.

17. Natkingcolebasket69

A better one!

kevin1244 and pdxjim488 like this.
  18. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    How do you compare the Pista with the 720s?

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Personally I haven’t driven the pista and I took some heat for this but although pista is to me prettier it is quite a lot more expensive for similarish performance

tekaefixe likes this.
  20. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Nice video.

21. TheMostFamousHustler

Nov 12, 2018
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    TheMostFamousHustler

I was about to post it. Thanks!

kevin1244 likes this.
  22. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    I have not personally driven the 720s on any track. However, judging from the day at the track, it's quite a capable car and no less (and perhaps no more) than a Pista in performance. McLaren's are really engineered well. Sitting in my friend's car and driving the 600LT, the cabin is really tight and snug; which is awesome when on a race track. I think the overall cabin dimensions are much smaller than the Pista. I drove the 600LT for one 20min session. Obviously the power lags that of the Pista. I think the chassis is stiffer and more rigid as compared to the Pista due to the carbon tub. Ferrari really needs to transition to carbon tubs (even SF90 Stradale does not come with a carbon tub!!) The brakes and the feel of the brake pedal in the Pista is just incredible; much better than the 600LT. I liked the Pista's steering better but front visibility in the McLaren is better.
    In the end, for a driver at my skill level, both cars are beyond my capabilities; so it becomes a matter of personal preferences. Mine goes with the Pista. Aesthetically I find it more pleasing and I have more fun driving it.

of2worlds, Gh21631 and tekaefixe like this.
  23. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    AND --> No need to bring up the price comparison; we all know that story very well. And as far as appreciation or depreciation is concerned, even though I think the Pista holds value better than a 720s, I really don't care...I fully have set my expectations to lose money on it (if and when it comes to selling it; which is not in the cards for quite some time.)

Gh21631 and tekaefixe like this.
  24. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Another good video from the blue 12c that was behind you guys. . It seems all the videos that everyone has posted is from the same session

kevin1244 likes this.
  25. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Different day, different 720s and Pista at Laguna Seca