"Vettel Could Have Done Nothing Different" | FerrariChat

"Vettel Could Have Done Nothing Different"

Discussion in 'F1' started by aaronrgonz, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    "Vettel ran off track at the first chicane on lap 48 of the Canadian GP while leading, and was ruled by the FIA to have rejoined the circuit in an unsafe manner and also have forced rival Lewis Hamilton off the circuit..."

He was given a 5 second penalty which ended up costing him the race o_Oo_O

Full article: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/news/985

2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Vettel could have stayed on the track in the first place, instead of making a mistake that put all 4 tires in the grass.

There's something he could have done different ....

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    True. Fact. No doubt. BUT, he did make a mistake and the FIA Stewards decided to make up a bogus excuse to assess a penalty when the outcome of the mistake was not sufficient to allow Ham to overtake.

4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    +1

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The way Vettel came back on the track and immediatly tried to squeeze Hamilton against the wall, that was his mistake.

6. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Watching live, I'd say following the mistake (rear losing control, and plowing into grass section) there was nothing more he could have done. Folks are talking like he could have deftly hit the brakes, and turned back into the corner, allowing Lewis the racing line. It's frankly absurd. He lost control of the car. If FIA wanted to penalize him, penalize him for that, if that's even something they can penalize for. The manner he rejoined the track was up to physics at that point, and a miracle he saved the car at all.

Beyond the "rejoining the track unsafely" I think this is another incident which shows Vettel has zero cool under pressure and will spin the car/ wreck/ throw away the lead whenever he's pressured. But that's beyond the point of the assessed penalty.

daytona355 likes this.
  7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    "...tried to squeeze Hamilton against the wall..".. one can only shake ones head...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

kes7u, stavura, Picchu88 and 3 others like this.
  8. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    The correct action would of been to radio Vettel to let Hamilton by, then we would of had a race to the finish.

tom davis and dwhite like this.
  9. csmjr91090

csmjr91090 Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Vettel was unlucky. He really had little effect on loss of control. Once the car caught oversteer where it did, he was along for the ride. Vettel, Hamilton, and Bottas all had read grip issues.

Unfortunately for Seb, he caught oversteer in the worst possible place and it caused the rear to step out.

Also considering that the “runoff” was grass and not asphalt, it made the situation worse. He did a hell of a job not to crash the car or in to Hamilton. There’s no way he saw Lewis from that angle. Notice from Lewis’ onboard that once Vettel has regained control and sees Hamilton, he gives him even more space and moves gradually to the left.

Vettel screwed the pooch in Bahrain, not in Montreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom davis, daytona355 and Makuono like this.
  10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Vettel was "the victim" of something else that put all four of his tires in the grass?

We'll just disagree on that point.

tom davis likes this.
  11. csmjr91090

csmjr91090 Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Yes. It’s fine if you disagree, but watch his onboard. He catches a nasty snap of oversteer on corner entry and when he tried to counter it, the rear stepped out. That’s not within his control.

These things do happen in racing.

daytona355 likes this.
  12. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    So Vettel (the victim) was just randomly and suddenly "inflicted" with snap oversteer, which caused him ... through no fault of his own ... to put all four tires in the grass. Got it !!

I'm quite sure that Vettel shares your view, by the way ... given his behavior after the race.

I just love these threads, for pure entertainment value :D

13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Wow... full moon is very long this time

kes7u and daytona355 like this.
  14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm kind of a novice on F1 rules, so bear with me.

Assuming Vettel couldn't do anything else, does that absolve him from blame? He went off the track, came back on the track, and in the opinion of the stewards,impeded or effected Hamilton's drive, right? so, given that, even if he had no other options, could he not still be at fault?

I'm not trying to pick a side here, I'm really trying to understand this. If I lose control of my vehicle on the street, leave the road and then re-enter the highway and hit another car, I'm 99.99% sure I'm at fault, even if there was no place else for me to go.

Should Hamilton have slowed down when he saw Vettel struggling for control?

Does Hamilton have to yield to an out of control driver reentering the track?

D

tom davis and Patrick Dixon like this.
  15. csmjr91090

csmjr91090 Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Nigel Mansell shares my view. But you obviously know more than him.

16. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    You won't get very far in these parts, with any arguments that don't immediately absolve Vettel of any wrong-doing ;)

Of course, you're correct. If you lose control on the street, and hit another car (or cause any other un-safe situation) ... the focus from authorities will NOT be on your inability to control during the skid or spin, but rather the focus will be on the fact that you lost control in the first place.

17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Other qustion: if you see the guy in front of you struggling, do you go exactly for the space he is intended to come out of the grass just to brake on last moment only to complain over the radio ?
    Or would you avoid being at exactly that spot and simply go to the inside to pass.
    It is interesting that Lewis did exactly the same in Monaco and even publicly stated he would have done the same... but still the Lewis fanboys behave like Seb is the devil and tried to kill Lewis by "squeezing him against the wall"...
    One of them is penalized, the other not...

18. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Did Nigel Mansell disagree with the penalty for unsafe rejoining ... or did Nigel state that it's not the driver's fault if he loses control of the car?

tom davis likes this.
  19. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Maybe one day somebody will explain you the difference between racing and driving on public road. Last time I checked those rowdies on track do not even leave the required safety distance and they never set their indicators when changing lanes...

Bas, spirot, daytona355 and 1 other person like this.
  20. csmjr91090

csmjr91090 Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    He specifically said that Vettel was a passenger once the rear stepped out on him. And he disagreed with the “penalty”.

Bas, tom davis and daytona355 like this.
  21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    LOL

Still defending Vettel, "the victim" of an out-of-control car (his).

:D

22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Either your account is hacked or you are on a special one week mission... still reading things into posts never written. Well...

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  23. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Still trying to denigrate Vettel, against all logic and reason?

Bas, TheF1BOB, stavura and 3 others like this.
  24. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #24 werewolf, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Oh, then Nigel does not agree with you.

Once the car is out-of-control on the grass, we ALL agree that Vettel is the passenger.

But the question at hand is this : Whose FAULT is it, that Vettel's car went out of control in the first place?

I say: Vettel's fault
    You say: not Vettel's fault. You say Vettel is the victim of something else (snap oversteer) that "happened" to him, that caused him to lose control, through no fault of his own.

25. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Yep, i'm that crazy guy who blames Vettel for losing control in the first place ... how silly of me!

Jaguar36 likes this.