Ferrari camshaft lobes | FerrariChat

Ferrari camshaft lobes

Discussion in '348/355' started by klfong, Jun 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong
    Hi, I've just been told by my mechanic that Ferraris (and Maseratis for that matter) do not have one piece solid machined camshafts, but that the lobes of the camshafts are heat or pressure fitted at the required angle for the correct timing of the particular engine model. Due to this method of manufacture, there have been occasion where the cam-lobe timing may slip causing mis-timing of the valve opening and closing. Can I ask if this is indeed the case for all models, and if it is, what usually precipitates such an event happening? Thanks for your comments.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Here is a close up. Is you "Ferrari mechanic" a guy at the Mitsubishi tuning shop place or something or with 1 post is this a troll?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Apparently used on Porches.

Recently I was sitting in a tech presentation for Porsche’s new 991.2 generation of turbocharged 911 Carreras. The MA2, as Porsche calls the 3.0-liter twin-turbo flat-six that becomes the base engine in the 911, features a host of electromechanical widgets intended to save fuel, drip by drop. Electronic control of the oil pump reduces engine load when high pressure isn’t needed. A two-stage water pump speeds the engine up to temperature for emissions and delivers only “need-based cooling” to reduce parasitic losses. A new polymer oil pan saves 4.4 pounds while being durable enough to survive the entire engine being dropped on it from a height of several feet (we saw the video). The assembled camshafts drive high-pressure pumps to deliver fuel to the injectors at up to 3625 psi and are the heart of a glorious temple of expensive, fine-tolerance machining.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15101994/have-we-reached-peak-engine-column/
    https://porsche-presskit.de/workshops/718-boxster/wp-content/uploads/718_Boxster_Tech_Workshop_Powertrain_EN.pdf

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong

Hi, no the mechanic is the one who does my Jag XJR. He also does, Audis, Benz's, Bentleys, Rolls, BM's and Ferrari's. My Mitsubishi GTO VR4 goes to another JDM mechanic. I'm considering picking up a 348TS and am now studying this issues with old Ferrari's. My mechanic has a few Ferraris in his workshop and one of them has the problem of cam lobe slippage according to him. What model is the picture from?

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  8. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have 308, 348, 355, 360 cams they all look like they are old fashioned cut from one piece of steel to me. I think if this was anything close to a common (or ever) failure mode on a Ferrari people here would know about it.

9. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong

Yeah, this looks like what my mechanic was talking about. I didn't think that anyone would do this, without some kind of locking pin mechanism to prevent slippage.

10. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong
    Thanks. Maybe this is a newer model type issue.

11. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong
  12. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong
  13. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong
    Thanks. Maybe I'll also check with my other mechanic who also looks after Porsches as well.

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Every Ferrari prior to 2009 is one piece that I am aware of. I suspect the ones after are as well. Anyhow the 348/355 most definitely one piece.
    Was there a specific car in question? All Ferrari's using assembled cam shafts is a really bold statement and is definitely inaccurate.

15. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong
    Thanks for your reply. It really helps to clear things up. I just wanted to verify that the 348/355 series had the more conventional one piece camshafts. The car in the workshop with the problem is one of the newer generation front engined ones but I didn't get the model number.

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ahh maybe Maserati GT and Ferrari California I think they are almost the same at least externally. Possibly check the California forum for details.
    Good luck!

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I wish they did have press on nails !!!! I would have ghetto claws in my cams for sure
    Getting them reground then shimming up the valve springs sucks to get some motion in the ocean.

:)

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It is common practice to shrink fit thrust collars onto turbines and diesels, they do not put locking pins in them as the fit is that good. Chill the shaft and warm up the collar. Lock pins are stress points anyway.

19. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong
    Thanks. Just checked with my mechanic about the Ferrari with the cam lobe problem and it is a California.

20. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt

California camshafts sure look like they are one piece, too... I think that your mechanic is blowing smoke where the sun don't shine.

ernie likes this.
  21. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong
    Hahahaha.... maybe he's trying to convince me not to get a 348 since he's got to maintain it.....

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    First things first... get another mechanic. ;)

ernie likes this.
  23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  24. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    As far as I know the cams in a F119 (348 engine) are machined from a solid piece.

25. klfong

klfong Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Fong
    Hahahahaha..... Thanks for the suggestion but he's considered an old school guru of sorts so much so even the various dealerships bring their cars to him to repair, when they can't sort it out themselves.