488 - Price Expectation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Price Expectation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Manheim. Those are wholesale auction prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C50 likes this.
  2. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The airflow with the top down is optimized with the rear window slightly down.
    If it were all the way up the overhead air flow would hit it and enter the cabin with more turbulence and blow back.
    As for 488 prices going down, think of buying any Ferrari an investment in enjoyment that pays dividends every time you drive it.and pays interest whenever someone gives you the thumbs up on the street. The memories are free and the smile on your face is priceless.
    Enjoy the 488!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

victor430, MANDALAY and Autolove like this.
  3. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Same thing up here in Canada. Prices for low km coupes have been hovering $360k and not moving even though the summer driving season is in full swing. The other issue is too many red cars on the market. I personally expect prices to drop in the low 300s and maybe even in the high 200's by end of the year.

4. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Hard to say about 488 depreciation with F8s not being available until next summer 2020, 488s are the only current vehicle that are available for quick purchase. Moreover, a comparably-equipped F8 is nearly $35000 more than a 488 and early cars are all but spoken for. 458s are too old and have nowhere near the performance capabilities of a 488. Also, all 458s are out of warranty. For the "new-to-Ferrari" buyer, it's either buy a nearly new 488 today, or wait until sometime in latter 2020 for a higher-priced F8.

Additionally, the F8 successor...the LB, will likely be a $400,000+ car. Such upward price trends in the mid-engined sports series may slow the depreciation curve somewhat.

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I hear ya, but this is my take. The 488 will continue to drop.. why? Well within the Ferrari community it’s a bit of a step child, and for the exotic car buyer who is not a Ferrarista.. there are better buys out there. Like a 570 that performance wise is an equal, and much cheaper. (But I’m a Ferrarista ;-) )

6. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    yeah...but the 570 is not quite as exotic; the 720 definitely is a better "value" vs. the 488. That said, those that WANT a Ferrari really have no other current choice. It's either wait over a year, or buy a 488.

7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Perhaps..we’ll see my friend. I think they will drop quite a bit in the next year.

dustman likes this.
  8. swede

swede Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone have wholesale auction prices for 488 Spider's (2017, 2018 models)? Thanks in advance.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  10. swede

swede Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow. That was fast, thank you! So first is 2017 and second is 2018? All Spiders? (not too familiar with how to interpret these things... lol)

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yep

12. swede

swede Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool. Thanks again. Definitely some room to negotiate on 2017/18 Spiders being offered for sale by private party and dealers.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ur welcome- there is always room.

14. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    out of warranty, slow, old and all that is true. However here are some real time facts: I just got an offer from a dealer here in Sweden and that is basically what I gave for the car 3 years ago and now driven almost 22 000 miles ;)
    it's a 458

tekaefixe likes this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Sounds good ,no catch? like having to buy a 488 or something?

16. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No, one thing though, the Swedish currency is weak at the moment compared to the Euro so it might be that the dealer knows that they will easily sell the car to a Euro country for a good SEK price. The Swedish market is more or less getting drained on used cars is what I hear from some dealers

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I guess you going to hang on to her? although must be tempting!

Ash Patel likes this.
  18. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #43 Ash Patel, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Yes I was and am tempted as the wait for the next solely new Ferrari is at least 2 years ahead. For the price I get for the 458 I almost don't have to add anything to get a Huracan 580-2, or add some and get the Perfomante which have come down in price to a very attractive level. But test-drove a friends 610-4 2 years back as was utterly disappointed how soulless and heavy it felt and also how artificial the bangs and pops were.

Edit: Sorry for the hijack of the thread, I know I've already created a thread on whether I should keep or trade the 458

19. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter

Didn't you buy your 458 with something like 70,000 KM's on the odometer?

20. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

My thinking is along your line. Yes 488 is done but the replacement is a year away. If you aren’t on the list it’s likely 18 months away. I’ll be able to give you guys real world numbers as my 488 is at the dealer for sale as I await my Pista.

21. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I sold my 488 Spider to a local non-Ferrari dealer last month. I received a very good number and he sold my car in less than 3 weeks. He has a lot of Fcars and McLarens in stock and told me the best deal is a 570. He said based on what you have to pay to get one it is a super car. He loves Ferrari’s but is thinking of trying the 720S next. He said it is a beast. He confirmed the auction prices of Ferrari’s are softening. He said he is moving 488s fairly well but he has a couple of 458s and a Lusso that are not getting much attention. He has a ‘19 812 he just dropped the price on to move.

22. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Days of buying a car and getting out of it in 6 to 12 months for MSRP are over. Ferrari is coming out with too many cars, too quickly. All prior expectations and norms are out the window. We are entering a new era of significant depreciation, based on Ferrari’s new production strategy of 15 cars new models out in the next couple years. The party is over.

https://carbuzz.com/news/ferrari-will-launch-15-new-models-by-2022-most-of-them-will-be-hybrids

The new normal is deeper and more rapid depreciation on the horizon. Oh, the horror!

SoCal to az and MANDALAY like this.
  23. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I agree. Additional downward pressure is being applied by every other exotic manufacturer providing more options to choose from. I wonder how many previous new car buyers will step back and wait until some of the depreciation hits before jumping in. I passed on the F8 and plan to wait out these new releases before making my next purchase.

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Frankly, the ultimate reason for Ferrari market softening is Ferrari's fault. Ferrari's design philosophy has just aged and the new cars., ie. Portofino, California, FF, etc. while good...just aren't great. Ferrari has yet to produce a design that "knocks the public out of the park". When the 458 was released in 2010, the world shook. Nowadays, there's no Ferrari that really stimulates the senses....everything as of late is just kinda ho hum. The SF90, being speculated to costing $600k-$700k spec'd, hasn't really received the "shock and awe" that prior designs...like the Enzo, LaFerrari, etc. had received....not even close. Meanwhile, the pricing is getting out of control adding fuel to the fire.

SoCal to az likes this.
  25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I hope you don't get the same bad prices as the guys here getting their Pistas