Analogue vs. Digital Art Creation | FerrariChat

Analogue vs. Digital Art Creation

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by NeuroBeaker, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    As an old Bob Ross viewer, I thought this was cool:

I know @anunakki has had thoughts on analogue vs. digital artistic creation - any thoughts on that video?

All the best,
    Andrew.

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My first observation is she is incredibly annoying personality. Tapping the stylus on the pad is irritating and not funny at all.

She obviously is a skilled painter so its more like she is recreating the painting using her own skillsets as opposed to what Bob is doing. Nothing wrong with that.

Overall i didnt see the point of the video.

As far as digital vs traditional, digital is and always will be an inferior artform to traditional. The simple fact there is an 'undo' button makes that so from my perspective. In addition, instead of having to learn how to use a limited set of brushes to create an unlimited style of textures, in digital you simply download or create the brush texture you need and BAM its done.

tomkatf, jelpspeed, jm2 and 2 others like this.
  3. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for commenting, Jerry. I get what you're saying.

As a non-artist, I thought it was interesting seeing the same scene coming together using two completely different mediums. Regardless of the medium, my skill set is essentially limited to drawing stick figures. :oops:

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 and anunakki like this.
  4. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Extrapolating off this thread, I have digital sculptor friends who lose their **** when I say digital is inferior to traditional. Some of them think they catch me in a 'gotcha' when they say ' well, sculpting in clay is inferior to sculpting in marble', since Im a clay guy, not a marble guy.

They hate it when I agree with them. Of course sculpting in clay is inferior to carving marble. Carving marble is multitudes more difficult and I have no problem admitting it.

So why cant the digital sculptors admit their artform is inferior?

5. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    So, by extrapolation here... is it the ease of going back to redo something that makes the art form inferior? For example, in marble you can't add back any marble that you later decide you needed. In clay, I guess it's difficult bot not impossible to add back a little more. In digital sculpting, I guess the edits you can make to add or subtract are infinite.

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    In a nutshell, yes. But in addition to the 'undo' button and being able to save multiple copies at different stages to make changes quite easy, there is also the ability in digital to purchase so much of what you need.

Need a bodybuilder style character ? There are hundreds of great models you can buy online. Want him to have a certain type of boot and clothing? It probably exists for purchase online and if it doesnt, there is software that turns the creation of it into a series of clicks and sliders. Need to add detailed pore textures to the skin? No problem you can download thousands of custom pore texture files that you just slap onto the model.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  7. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'm by no means ANY form of artist, but? I cannot see how sculpting in clay is in any way inferior to carving marble.

Certainly, marble is more difficult and unforgiving, and perhaps that relates to the "undo button," with respect to "digital vs analog." However? Whether marble, or clay? The hands of a human manipulate every bit of the media to create the desired work. With respect to digital, the artist surely has to GUIDE the software, but the software also influences and shapes the outcome.

8. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    To me any technique easier than another is inherently inferior from a skill standpoint. Doesnt mean the outcome is inferior, but the skill required is inferior. Just my $.02

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My two cents? It is hard to catch the imperfections of life in a digital mode. One good example is a development near me called "Market Street." See the pics below. One problem with trying to recreate say a '50s vibe is you end up looking like Disney World. It is too perfect. Life is never that perfect. But they did a great job with this development in not making it too perfect. Maybe someday digital can do fuzzy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    To backstop my point, look at the brick on the left hand side of the red brick building in the second picture. Notice how it doesn't perfectly match the rest of the brick? This was done deliberately.

11. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    One of the things that makes me cringe is when i was house shopping and the houses would have then faux 'degradation' where intentionally some stucco was missing showing some fake bricks underneath. Oh man that made me cringe

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Provencalas Vegas, don'tcha know . . .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app