F8 - Performante to F8? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F8 Performante to F8?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 737Drvr, May 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    As long as wife is happy :) But honestly you won't have anything until Pista in Dec--right move. My gawd I know you're going to love that engine noise.

Good man...HP PD will be looking out for you HAHA!

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Smart move Mark! I almost pulled the trigger on a 3rs today. Probably best I walked away

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If anyone is interested I may be selling my 19' GT3 manual :)

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Congrats. I drove my Perf S twice today as I just couldn’t get enough of that sound.

I let a couple of nice kids sit in the car while I lectured them about studying and working hard in life ;)

5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Wise choice. Nothing like the drama of a Lambo.

Gh21631, IPO1, dmark1 and 2 others like this.
  6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting, I know you and I have been on slightly opposite sides of opinions on Perf vs. 458S/488. This is what makes forums fun.
    Good write up but would like to know more objective details on why you like the Perf. I’m sure F8/488 have better “technology” vs Speciale but....
    Here are some of my objective comparisons on Speciale vs Perf:
    1. Design: Perf wins in design - it has way more presence and angularity in its aesthetics. Interior wins as well as it feels like a jet fighter cockpit. If you want a neckbreaker, own a Lambo.
    2. Handling: Ferrari has the lighter more direct feel in its steering. In my Speciale, steering feels very 1:1, no understeer or oversteer. Raw.
    Perf feels electrical to me, a bit unconnected as if the computer nannies are doing some work to “help” the driver position the car. Superb technology, less feel.
    3. Transmission: Yes Perf, 720, modern car, Tesla, etc have “seamless” gearshifts. Feels like you are flying. I do Not like this. I want to feel the shifts.
    Speciale has DCT with noticeable gearshifts. This is awesome. Superfast II SCT 60ms shifts in Scud - best bang feel in the world to me. I like it raw.
    4. Sound: Perf is extremely loud and rambunctious, V10 grumble and growl is intoxicating. Love it. Just different.
    Speciale (with IPE setup) is Formula 1 sound. Period.
    This is purely subjective if you prefer brute power sound vs refined high pitched F1 sound. Both are great. Tie.

Sent from my 16M

italiafan likes this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I like the Perf S much more than the Speciale.

Sound, confidence inspiring, grip, tech, reliability, speed.

Speciale looks good, is a ferrari, is more nimble and playful.

Thecadster likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What are the specs?? I want to get one-

sampelligrino and Gh21631 like this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    :eek:
    You write beautifully, were you an English Lit major at Williams, or McGill?
    Great synopsis of your thoughts, you have captured beautifully so many complicated nuances in our love for these unique automobiles.
    I own five amazing cars, and each incites a different emotional response it is so hard to answer which evokes more joy.
    Thanks.

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    In college I thrashed my ‘72 baby blue VW beetle daily, all ~50hp or so, so much fun, what a great little ride. :)

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #86 Gh21631, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    sampelligrino likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Beautiful! But I can’t do red. Long story- wife hates red.

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks so much for the kind words. Greatly appreciated.My education involved a Masters in Science and ultimately a Doctorate of Law.

At their shared exalted level of performance and aesthetics, the current crop of super cars are distinguished by their individual personalities. Preferences are thereby highly subjective. I personally endeavour to impartially enumerate their objective strengths and weaknesses and then ultimately inject my subjective bias as to which cars engender the most thrilling and compelling driving dynamics and exciting ownership experience.

09Scuderia, dmark1 and italiafan like this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #89 Coincid, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

plastique999 likes this.
  15. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Damn I wish I could write like that ...

Coincid and Ash Patel like this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Oh I get it, I wasn't into reds either until my 720 and then I said what the heck on the GT3. This is a beauty though.

Manda racing and SoCal to az like this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Totally get it. Long story but sold my touring cause it was red. Wife issues. Like I said long story.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    And here you are with us dummys. I reread my posts and see all kinds of grammatical errors. I need to pay more attention. Perhaps I dont care enough.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I had a manual red 997 C2S cab. Looked great.

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    So, an update as to where I'm at after some time to reflect. None of the comments about particular cars are personal just my thoughts...Pardon the long post but here goes.

I had a good friend let me drive his 488. A different driving experience than a Performante for sure. Not in a bad way at all, just different. I liked it. Lots of power, no noticeable turbo lag (as has been said), and actually fun. The car would chirp or slightly spin the rear tires on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts while maintaining a straight driving line in Race mode. Impressive. To me, the steering was greatly improved from the 430 I drove. More weighted and direct. Progress as they say. The 488 is very comfortable car as well. You could daily drive this one. Easy ingress/egress, nice ride, quieter at cruising speeds. The Performante doesn't do all these as well and is more raw. I love both for being what they are. Since I have a track focused car in the 600LT, I actually wouldn't mind changing out the Perf to a F8. So, I made a comparo list of both cars. Here's what I came up with.

Powertrain: this is one of the major reasons I'm considering a F8. The V10 in the Perf is glorious. N/A goodness to us all that love the response and noises such an engine makes. It's a solid, bulletproof unit but is reaching 10 years of age. The F8's engine is plucked straight out of the Pista if I understand correctly. Race derived internals and another engine of the year award. From those that have driven the Pista, I've been told it's a fair bit faster than the 488, shifts better, etc. Again, progress. I've driven a 720S. They are crazy fast. I think the F8 will be close in what I view as a more alluring package. That tells me that Ferrari has picked up the baton and wants to compete head on with McLaren...a good thing. Lamborghini is trying to compete but is behind in the powertrain department. The Evo received the Performante's engine which is 80HP short of both Ferrari and McLaren. To be fair, Lambo is working on something but is under the veil of VAG and somewhat constrained. They are also against turbocharging and evolve a bit slower than their competitors. Powertrain = advatange F8.

Exterior: looks are always subjective and each car has its own beauty. Front End. A virtual tie. The Perf is so aggressive looking. It screams move out of my way. The Ferrari is less angular but has sensuous lines. And that S duct, a win. A tie here. The side view is a also a virtual tie. The front fenders to the back of the door look great on both. I do like the coke bottle effect on the lower side kick panels of the F8. Nice design touch. The rear fender on the Lambo is gorgeous. I love the view of it from the side mirror. The girl has nice hips. You can see the fender bulging out to cover the rear wheel, while the F8's is a bit more flat. The engine intake on the F8 is a nice sight in the side mirror though. A tie here with maybe a slight edge to Lambo. Onto the back end. Both are great! But I give the advantage to Ferrari. It's a fresh design and I like the clean look to it and the quad tail lights paying homage to the 308. The engine compartment. Both marques are very good at engine jewelry. This is where McLaren loses points against the Italians...I digress. Again, I give a slight advantage to the F8 here. The lexan is a nice touch and its a bit better presentation. Lambo is right there. The Perf has a nice looking engine bay but I prefer regular carbon fiber to the type used in the Performante's engine bay.

Interior: both are great in their own way. The Performante is like a fighter cockpit. Nice Alcantara and diamond cut patterns. The switch gear (window switches, lifter, etc.) feels a bit cheap for an otherwise very beautiful interior. The display is also fantastic. I have the comfort sets in mine which I would highly recommend to anyone looking into a Performante. They are suitable for both the track and daily driving and are powered/heated. The F8's interior is just completely different. I appreciate it for what it is. Beautiful Italian leather and a comfortable place to take a long drive. I like the simplicity of the center bridge layout and the switch gear seems of better quality. As I get older, I've come to like getting in and out of a car easier. A virtual tie again...

This all leaves me with a question of where to go. I love my Performante. It's a great car! Zero problems and a fun driving experience. But maybe it's time for something different. I've had 5 Lambos and love the brand. With that said, Ferrari has been on my radar and this is a unique opportunity to order one to my specs. I've never owned a Ferrari. There's no denying the brand has a rich history and a mystique to it. I'm going to give it a try if I can come to terms with my local dealer on price, etc. I always appreciate any advice you owners have and look forward to sharing our experiences. Thanks for reading, you made to the end...

21. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    very nice write up, thanks for sharing your thoughts and comparison

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Nice write up, and you will enjoy the Ferrari!
    I went the other way and found the Perf to be my breath of fresh air but will try the Pista and see if I can live with that 488 derived experience. But I am inclined to keep the Perf.

Shack and Coincid like this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

Your commentary is a comparison of an available car compared to one that does exist. As Jeff Segal- LeMans Winner stated, " I've driven plenty of modern stuff. It's great, incredibly capable. But to me, its not at all about speed. It's about the driving experience." Until it is is actually driven, comparisons of the F8 to anything is purely a hypothethical exercise with little relevance.

Boomhauer, dustman and RoyalPink like this.
  24. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Highland Park PD already has me on "watch alert" ever since I installed the GMG center exhaust in my GT3. LOL.

My wife calls the exhaust button on my GT3 the "HP Police Avoidance button".....

25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Correction in my post. “ should read does not exist”.

Manda racing likes this.