"Vettel Could Have Done Nothing Different" | Page 4 | FerrariChat

"Vettel Could Have Done Nothing Different"

Discussion in 'F1' started by aaronrgonz, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I would have put my car as far away as possible from where Vettel was when he hit the grass, that also being the outside racing line,as fast as possible.

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Well, it would have been all happening so quickly, but I surmised here a long time ago, from a racers position when I was racing, assuming I could make a decision fast enough I would’ve taken the apex to three watching progress, slowed between them, and ‘hung it out’ to allow the ferrari momentum to become clear. Lined myself up for the perfect acceleration and let the ferrari drag itself across the track under protest and then nailed it last on the inside. The room I had would be ever widening as that ferrari wasn’t coming back without going into a massive spin and crashing out

3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Have another look ..you Lewis would have had to virtually stop if he had gone to the left,otherwise he would have hit Vettel.

4. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I appreciate that, and I do respect your opinion mate, but from my point of view, that’s because he bundled towards it as fast as he could, impulsively, and so was there a split second too early, a more thinking driver would have prepared for the switchback, that’s what brakes are for, they give you time for the next move. If he had targeted the inside line, Seb would have had no answer for it as the car was always moving to the right and to try to defend the inside, he would have definitely spun, so he would have had to straighten the car up and then get on the gas to try to outdrsg Elton, but Elton would have been on the gas several seconds longer and been uncatchable

Of course, it’s very easy for me to analyse it like this sitting at the kitchen table, in the split seconds on track at the time, I already alluded to the fact I’m not sure I or anyone else could have done the calculations in our heads to make the inside work effectively, but you have to assume F1 drivers are the most likely candidates to have that capacity

Ferrari 308 GTB, stavura and furoni like this.
  5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Yeh if any of us were that good we would be sitting in Monaco sipping cold Bollinger with a couple of super models.:D

As it is you have a bacon sarnie and cup of tea ,i have a Tiger beer with chicken rice.:(

375+ and daytona355 like this.
  6. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Exactly! I love to think I’m pretty good, but put me in at Fiorano chasing someone decent and only torpedoing the guy will get me a win! Im way too old now, looking at the saddle on a super bike makes my ass hurt these days, let alone sitting on one for two hours at high speed!

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not if he had slowed down.;) He made a mistake and should have realized that it was Hamilton who now deserved to win. When he decided to RACE, get back on the gas after he had regained control, that was just not acceptable and he needed to be punished. /sarcasm

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Going off track is not a punishable offense, so long no time is gained.

stavura, jgonzalesm6 and daytona355 like this.
  9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    ... and all that would have not happened if Seb would have simply stayed in bed... would, should...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I forgot that was an option.

daytona355 likes this.
  11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Easy to Monday morning QB. sitting behind a computer screen. Things happen real quick racing!

daytona355 likes this.
  12. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Hahaha, my fingers were poised to write some damning toxic flames at you my friend, then I read the end. I was thinking jcurry, but he’s sensible, and he’s on our side, someone has got to him. Maybe you had taken the Mercedes nickel! Good one buddy, in about half an hour my blood pressure will be back down into the 100’s!

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I agree with you. The stewards agree with you. Vettel was not punished for going off-track.

Sometimes, seems to me, one must face the direct and immediate consequences of a mistake ... in addition to the mistake itself.

william likes this.
  14. F1 fan 86

F1 fan 86 Rookie

Jun 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Laura findlay
    #89 F1 fan 86, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2019

daytona355 likes this.
  15. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I can see both sides of this argument (even though I'm a Ferrari F1 fan) and can understand both parties believing they are correct in their assessment of the situation. However, personally, I think this incident should have been chalked up as a "racing incident" and no penalty should have been assessed to Vettel.

Did Vettel make a mistake which caused his car to oversteer thus putting him in the grass? Of course he did. Did he re-enter the track in an unsafe manner? I think that argument can certainly be made. However, after traveling through the grass and re--entering the track, Vettel did not have full control of his car so he re-entered the best he could without crashing his car in a tight spot on the track. Vettel did not gain an advantage by running off the track (i.e., no position or time gained), therefore I think this was a simple case of hard racing. If Hamilton truly deserved the win IMHO, then he should have been able to pass Vettel during the race.

Vettel neither hit Hamilton when re-entering the track nor caused Hamilton to lose control or hit a wall. This, IMO, is no different than if Vettel had done a 360 spin on track (by himself with no one around) and Hamilton was unable to get by Vettel before Vettel recollected the car and continued in the race. Again, if Hamilton deserved the win then he should have been able to make a legitimate pass on track.

Vettel made a mistake and Hamilton couldn't capitalize on it -- oh well, that's racing.

Picchu88 and daytona355 like this.
  16. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Not that it matters but I was there Sunday. The only thing I would like to have seen done differently was if the stewards realized that the situation was not serious enough to change the outcome of the race. Had they pointed Lewis by Vettel, we would have had one hell of a battle till the end of the race but I don't think it would have been without incident. As we saw with the 5 sec penalty, Lewis had no motivation to want to prove he could pass Vettel. It just was a bad time for the stewards to be pouring over the rule book IMO.

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ham had motivation to pass, which is why he didn't slow knowing exactly where the trajectory of vettel was heading. HAM put himself between the wall and vettel. And as for vettel forcing ham off track that's total bs because they all use the red area at track out at the exit of that chicane, its not considered out of track limits

daytona355 likes this.
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I was quoting F1 fan 86 post, but the system for some reason is leaving that out, so this post made no sense till I added this!

Thanks Laura.... preaching to the choir here, most of us hate the fool, but beware, there are a hardcore bunch of his fans around that will attempt to annoy and cajole you about him. Their goal is to annoy tifosi, and get people like you, me, and every other tifosi banned from the site. Why, you ask, are they here at FerrariChat waxing lyrical about their love of Elton? We don’t know, it doesn’t make much sense, since their premis is to bang on about him expecting everyone to agree, and when they don’t, complain they are harrassed and hated and that their mummy will be in touch if something isn’t done about the nasty tifosi. The main thing is, try to rise above it, ignore it and enjoy the rest of the banter

Enjoy yourself, if they have a pop at you, don’t let it get you down, don’t do what I do and explode, and you’ll enjoy the banter here. Theres a lot of great people here, and some really good knowledge and analysis in between the barbed stuff! It can be an entertaining place to chat after a race, even when we aren’t doing too well! Forza Ferrari

19. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Losing control of the car is not worthy of a penalty in an of itself. It's what happens after. Otherwise they would be handing out penalties all day.
    Seb was pointed at a wall on grass with oversteer. It was everything to simply save the car, himself and he also had no contact, nor gained position.
    It's called racing.
    Will also admit Seb and Ferrari have been screwing up on a massive level for far too long. Lack of planning and strategy irking me mostly.

This though was also a screwup by stewards.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    At the height of the Prost-Senna-Mansell era, it was said that drivers were allowed maximum of three
    mistakes per season otherwise, the teams would raise an eyebrow.

Lately, it seems young Hr. Vettel makes three mistakes per race weekend.

Moving on...

BHW

william and werewolf like this.
  21. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Read my post again. Hamilton didn't have motivation to pass Vettel AFTER the penalty.

absostone likes this.
  22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    And this reminds me of 2016 in a smaller version.
    On Sunday Lewis was gifted a 5 second present by the stewards and all he had to do was following Seb and his fanboys praise him for brilliant racing not to try and overtake "an angry Seb" and for being a sportsman because his "I did not want to win that way" - nonsense...
    Nico was given a gift when Lewis engine blew in 2016 and all he had to do was following him in the next races to get the title. And for some reasons because of not trying to overtake "an angry Lewis" all of the sudden the very same people praising Lewis for being clever come around that Nico is not a deserving Champion. Again double standards in team LH44 all around

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

daytona355 likes this.
  23. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    ..just to stir it a bit more....so why is Ferrari not lodging and appeal?

24. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Because they realise the FIA have been bought and paid for, and an appeal will do nothing but cost money and allow Mercedes more gloating time. **** the FIA. If they want to help Mercedes cheat, let em. Ferrari should announce they are leaving f1 at the end of the current agreement to start their own series, and watch all the value of f1 be dissipated in one sweep! ****ing Mercedes doesn’t put bums on seats, Ferrari does

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission