Custom made sports exhaust, 612 | FerrariChat

Custom made sports exhaust, 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by 360Marnix, May 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    One year ago I bought my 612. I love it, but the only thing I really missed was the engine sound. It was just a bit to quiet for a weekend / hobby car.
    I listened to the original sports exhaust, Superspint, Tubi, etc. I liked the original exhaust the most. But they are no longer available or really expensive.

I contacted a company who have delivered end tips for my former 360 Modena to ask if they could make a custom exhaust exact to my design and specifications. They said yes.
    Last October they made my exhaust in less then 2 days.

What I designed is a two-way exhaust.
    Way one: remote controlled valves closed, gasses go through a sports damper.
    Way two: remote controlled valves open, sports damper is by passed.

In Italy I ordered end tips which look exactly the same as the original sports exhaust.
    The end result is great: for longer distances I close the valves, the car is quiet but just a bit louder as standard.
    When I want to hear the full V12 orchestra I open the valves and the sound is fantastic.

I do not have a video clip of it yet, but I have some pictures
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Makuono, lee-o, MRY and 1 other person like this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those look like Fabio's exhaust tips.

3. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    They are!

4. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Are they cat back? Or headers and cats plus the pipes and tips?

How much was the cost to build it?
    What diameter pipes on the system? 50mm?
    Did you do a dynamometer test to see if there were gains to be had?

I have heard the stock system is somewhat restricted and may be able to gain some power with a remap and better exhaust...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
  6. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Interested as well.

7. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Only the mufflers. So I can put the original mufflers back if I want.

Headers are on the "future wish list"

The total costs were about €2800 including 21% VAT. It is all stainless steel.

I think there are some horses who can breath easier now, but the car was not on the dyno.
    For me the better sound (and looks) was the reason.

8. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    Just ordered a tubi exhaust for my 612. Can’t wait to see the results. V12 engines are more fun with a sport exhaust system.

9. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    how about before and after exhaust startup, drive video? I'd be interested!

10. Norcal

Norcal Rookie

Oct 23, 2009
    Thank you for the info. Would you mind sharing the contact info for the exhaust and tips, please ? Does the remote controlled valves function independent of the comfort/sport switch ? Im a new owner of a 08 OTO (NON HGT2) and under the impression that the sport mode opens or otherwise adjusts the exhaust valves. Curious how that works in conjunction with a "remote control" and if the same function could be accomplished via the sport mode. Separately, does anyone know if HGT2 is available from Ferrari to modify a non variant ?

11. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    I will make a video soon, including the remote controler for the valves

KJM3SMG likes this.
  12. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    There is the video.
    In real life it sounds much better as the cell phone record.
    Starts with valves open. From 22th second the valves are closed and at the end closed again.

Makuono likes this.
  13. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    That sounds great! My car has the factory HGTC exhaust, which sounds great, but has a deeper/throatier note than I would prefer.

I have seen posts before about Fabio making an exhaust system that will fit the 612 using a 6-in-1 header, which based on my very limited understanding is a good way to create a higher pitched exhaust note. Is a higher pitched exhaust note a given with 6-in-1 headers or does it still mostly come down to the length, diameter, shape, and material of the tubing?

Does anyone know if and when that will happen? His website makes no mention. Thanks.

14. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    A guy from Finland does have those on his 612. Should sound like an old F1 car I think.

15. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    I placed an email inquiry to a certain Italian exhaust fabricator who is no longer active on this forum. I received a very kind and prompt reply informing me that he does indeed have a 6-in-1 exhaust system for the 612 Scaglietti. His website is undergoing an overhaul and as such does not include any information about this.

I’m hoping that a video clip of a 612 with his exhaust system will surface someday so we can hear it.

16. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    I bought my exhaust tips from that guy (Fabio) He is really kind indeed.

17. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    #18 FIN612, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Here you go:

Modena_2003 likes this.
  18. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    Wow

19. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Thanks Fin612!

That definitely has the high-pitched top end sound I am looking for. It sounds great on the video, but it is difficult to replicate what it sounds like in person. I know that loudness is subjective, but is it loud or is it REALLY LOUD? I want the high pitched exhaust note, but not if it means that the car has to be obnoxiously loud. For what it's worth, yours does not sound obnoxiously loud, but again it is difficult to tell from the video.

Thanks again for posting the videos!

20. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    I want that in my life.

21. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Do you have the entire system installed? 6-in-1 headers, CATS, pipes, and mufflers? Since I have the factory HGTC exhaust, I’ve been told that my stock mufflers could be used with Fabio’s headers, CATS, and pipes. Not sure if that will compromise the sound I am looking for.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- That should work fine on your 612. You would need the headers, cats, connector pipes and installation kit to fit to your center pipes and HGTC mufflers. If you get too much resonance with the factory straight center pipes, you can retrofit Fabio's center H pipes later. That is exactly what I am doing on my 575M with Type F133E engine compared to your Type F133F engine.

23. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Thanks!

24. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    My car is 08 pre-OTO HGTC, so it has factory sports exhaust. The rear part of the exhaust is still OEM. I can confirm that OEM straight pipes + valves open make too much resonance under 3-4K rpm . At high rpms - it's just heaven :) Please note that my car do not have exactly what Fabio is selling now, since we needed to resisigned quite many parts and use different cats and their position is also different. Fabio got 3D scanning taken from my car - so the current products should fit perfectly to 612s.

360Marnix likes this.