F-5 jet for sale | FerrariChat

F-5 jet for sale

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by toggie, Nov 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #1 toggie, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Curious to what the acquisition and hourly cost on that bad boy would be. :) Still not sure one can top the two Su-27s that were for sale some years ago in Illinois for $5mm a pop.

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Maybe Harrison Ford would be interested? Surely it could not be as bad as the maintenance on those two privately owned F-104 Starfighters...

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Taz or somebody who really knows will probably jump in here, but I personally believe it wouldn't be bad at all. The engines are basically the same as those on a Learjet 20 series airplane, only with afterburners. Given the light weight of the airplane, it should burn less than a 24/25... assuming you can get high enough. Down low, playing around, it will still burn quite a bit.

Those engines are very reliable and parts are available, so that's not so bad. That leaves you with airframe parts, and I can't imagine those are that much of an issue either.

I've always heard that is why T-38s sell in the millions, while other military jets can be had for $100k or less-- because the T-38 (or F-5, basically the same) can actually be operated on a reasonable budget.

I do believe it requires air start, which limits where you can go, although maybe there is a mod to give it electric start.

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    It ain't the cost of the airplane :D

It is all the expenses.

An owner wrote to bring buckets of money.

6. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    IIRC at one time there was only one F5 in private hands. If this is that same plane it was built from two wrecks that were mistakenly surplussed. The AF was PO'd that the plane was put together and they supposedly had a miserable time getting a ticket for it. If all of the subsystems are the same as the T38 then the parts might be easy to get, but because there are folks owning these that the US does not want to have spares for, things could get dicey

7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #7 toggie, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    There appears to be five F-5 jets in the FAA aircraft database.
    N3J is the one in Texas.

FAA Registry - Aircraft - Make / Model Inquiry for F-5

And forty T-38 jets:

FAA Registry - Aircraft - Make / Model Inquiry for T-38

I don't think all of these jets need to be currently airworthy to be in the registry database.

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #9 toggie, Nov 20, 2013
    Good point. I forgot about the NASA T-38's.

Years ago, I used to watch the NASA astronauts land at Moffett Field in Mountain View, CA from an office building in those white & blue T-38's.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Wow. Almost enough to get me into the long program that would have me flinging that thing around the open skies. :)

Plus, if it were eligible(I've not even looked at regs) , you might clean the clocks of some Foujets and L39s put at Stead field.

If I come into the realm where it could be a consideration, I would do it real fffaaaassssttttt.

Just one question. 20s are ok if registered right? Might have to fly a zig zagged flight path though. No fly in Cali and Mass. A lot of good airspace in Texas though. :)

And Texas to Reno ain't bad. How bout a liesure hop, Vegas - Reno, to go up and clean clock.

Oh please. Oh please.

11. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Looking at the lines. The F5 is more attractive than the T38. And that's hard to do.

Sex sells.

12. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    the only F5 was the coke/pepsi plane in the intro to ''top gun'' 25+ years ago

13. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    That would be so cool to own. However, I think the sex appeal would go up immensely if it had a 2nd seat!

14. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I was thinking that also.
    The single-seat aspect of the F-5 would be very limiting - e.g. can't take any passengers for a ride.

Also, how do you first fly it?
    I guess you'd need to rent a T-38 for you and an instructor until you had enough time in type to feel comfortable flying the F-5 by yourself.

15. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    That's what I would think. Market for this is limited to those with access to either a T-38, or were typed for the F-5 when they were in service.

Super hot plane, though. Paint it black and give it Top-Gun markings FTW!!

16. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That is why F-5s are worth so much less than T-38s.

The prudent thing to do would be to find a T-38 and get some dual in it first. Given that the F-5 was designed to be flown by third world air force pilots, I don't imagine it's too difficult if you've flown high performance jets before.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All my friends that flew F-5s said they were very easy to fly, like the T-38, only with improved maneuverability and power. Felt like an F-4 with all the mass taken out.

Those J-85s are plain old turbo-jets and still use a ton of fuel, and the F-5 has very short legs with realistic reserves. The Thunderbirds hated their T-38s for their short legs, among other things. Often had to make 2, or even 3 (flying west), stops between shows. Made for lots of arrival shows, but.... We saw them often at Cannon AFB, NM when they were flying T-38s in the 70s, because Cannon was about half way to many places.

18. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    I believe the F-5 had a 2 seat verient

19. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #19 toggie, Nov 21, 2013
    Yes, the Wikipedia article on the F-5 breaks it up into 4 types of F-5 jets:
    - Single seat versions
    - Reconnaissance versions
    - Two-seat versions
    - Foreign variants

Anyone what the differences are between the two-seat F-5 and the T-28?
    Are they basically the same thing?

Here's a picture of a Jordanian two-seater F-5.
    Looks like it has an external fuel tank below it and some sort of missile on the left wing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. locharbour1

locharbour1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    jeff williams
    Hey all. I am interested in buying a few GE Engine J-85-GE-21 for Northrop F5 E/F. Any leads you can provide would be appreciated. Let me know.

21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    No not the same, one has a propellor and radial engine and one is a fighter jet.

I know what you meant to type but I couldn’t resist.

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Can you convert a CJ610 for that application, or are there more differences than the tailpipe and afterburner?

There should be plenty of CJ610s available, although I don't know how the overhaul situation is these days.

23. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    I received an email this morning regarding two F-16’s for sale. Yes, F-16’s! I didn’t think that would ever be possible. I didn’t click on the link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    can you post a screenshot/link? I've seen F4 Phantoms and a number of Migs for sale but never a plane still in the US arsenal for sale.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips