Ceramic Coating | FerrariChat

Ceramic Coating

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by puckybadger, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Went to a new detail shop and the owner wants to do ceramic coating. He had 2 new BMW's there waiting to be picked up by the dealer so I got the full show on how the water just runs off, etc. Impressive. I have a very nice 2002 456M GT with original paint. $1000 complete. Any thoughts?

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    The price is a bit higher than I have been quoted. Generally, in the $500-$700 range for a full paint correction and ceramic application. I've also seen the end result and have been impressed as well.

I have not pulled the trigger on a professional application but started to use Meguiar's Ceramic Wax. It is not the same in application but I have been very impressed with the immediate results and how easy it is to use. The wax is not advertised to last as long as a professional ceramic coating but all you do is wash the car, spray it on and dry the car for the first coat then on the second application, wash the car spray it on, rinse it off, then dry. The gloss and depth of shine is nothing like I've seen before using other wax products. The water does not bead the same as a ceramic coating, but close. IMO, for $15 per bottle and so little effort, it might be worth a try before going for a full ceramic coating.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Big believer of ceramic pro, do it all.

4. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Also coat Wheels and brake calipers - the brake dust basically falls off. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolceexte likes this.
  5. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Fully agreed

6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    100% believer here.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Interesting product, and there are so many choices out there. Presumably you'd need to be careful to keep this Meguiar's product off of things like windows and convertible top fabric while spraying. Is it better than other spray-on products, or even products which are applied with a pad?

8. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Just a follow up. I have used the Meguiar's Ceramic Wax on my 2003 360 Spider (and all of my other vehicles) and have good success even when applying it to the windows. No streaks or smearing and I've driven the car in some heavy rain this year. I totally agree that it should not be applied on the fabric top.
    I have Expel Ultimate protection on the entire front (A pillar forward), rocker panels and rear bumper. The Meguiar's applies just as easily to the Expel as it does on the painted surfaces. My only strong recommendation is to apply the Ceramic wax on one section of the car at a time, rinse, then move to the next panel, per the directions. You can dry the entire car when completed.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wld not put ceramic over original paint thats 20 yrs old. have the car wrapped with ppf and then do ceramic if you want to scratch the itch. putting something as hard as ceramic directly on original paint for a car that isnt going to see the elements makes zero sense.

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yes pull the trigger. the price is a bit high. $700-$800 would ideal. i do the wheel, windows, entire car. Do this over a clear bra and you'll thank yourself everyday.

11. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Make sure you do plenty of research on the detailing shop that is going to be applying the coating. With so many of the coatings on the market now everyone and their mother is getting into coatings. A lot of shops do not know how to properly apply them and/or just grab a coating from the first company that will give it to them. Please do not listen to anyone that claims life time warranty or that it will protect from scratches and rock chips, thats what ppf is for. Unfortunately I have seen a lot of people get burned by fly by night shops that will do full correction and coating. Looking at their car they still have a lot of swirl marks and the coatings last maybe 6 months.
    In your area there are two of the best detailers in the north, they're good friends of mine and I've seen their work on multiple occasions.
    David Patterson
    414-803-6522
    Perfect Shine Detailing

Connor Harrison
    608-571-3999
    CH.Detailing

puckybadger likes this.
  12. johnny caretaker

Apr 17, 2016
    Franklin Lakes NJ
    Just make sure the shop is reputable and has experience with ceramic coatings There are many on the market. Make sure the $1,000 is for paint correction and the coating. I see a post that states in the $500-$700 range for paint correction and coatings. That seems quite cheap for an experienced detailer doing a paint correction on your vehicle along with a coating. If done by the right person and done right you will be very happy

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    def seems cheap. around NYC area its more like $1200 to $3k to ceramic an entire car.

14. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Make sure they do multiple coats

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    With out really knowing the condition of the paint I don't know how anyone here can make an accurate estimation of what a good price is. Maybe his paint is almost perfect and will need little correction or maybe it's going to need a lot of work. Applying the ceramic coating is really the easy part.

cgt000 likes this.