Ultra Luxury Car Prices Plunge | FerrariChat

Ultra Luxury Car Prices Plunge

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PA Wolfpacker, Jun 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    "Average list prices of Lamborghini used vehicles declined 56% to $207,000"

I have been watching the used Huracan market, and the above sure isn't true....same with Aventadors, they haven't depreciated more than what I would term as regular depreciation. And of course, the Miura, Countach, and Diablo markets are doing just fine.

Have no idea where the statistic comes from, or if it has any real meaning other than shock value

I'm 360 Canuck, tfazio and Thecadster like this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    To me, the article headline seems like an oxymoron. Why would these car makers sabotage their own markets?

Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin, Lamborghini car prices plunge as ultra-luxury market expands

The author also seems to be mixing apples and oranges- does he really mean the new car market or the used car market?

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    that number is nonsense for regular production cars. Just like Haggerty numbers are nonsense for values in many cases.

4. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Didn't see Ferrari mentioned once. Nor do I care what speculation USA Today has to offer :)

5. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    In the end, and in the big picture, it would seem to me that a lot of these cars will eventually suffer some big depreciation.

30 years ago there were essentially 3 super car manufacturers (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin). In total, they made less than 5,000 cars per year.

Now there are probably 10 manufacturers ant they probably make 50,000 in total. So - lots of supply of future used ones.

Who has any interest in all of those used super cars? Who is going to buy them. Who is going to pay to maintain and repair them? Most people have no interest in them, much less in owning them.

Now, I will say that in the mid-1970s that there was no interest in owning or repairing old exotic cars. But the big difference is that in those days so many fewer new ones were being made and there was only a tiny backlog of used ones.

Modena_2003, sixcarbs, gt4me and 5 others like this.
  6. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #7 ASK328, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Next recession the prices on all these cars will plummet - the new cars with MSRP’s of 300k + will be decimated. A few of the manufacturers will go out of business, and the luxury car mkt will be devastated. IMHO.

Are cars a leading indicator? I still can’t believe the appreciation starting in 2009 - some asset classes are still appreciating, however collector cars have deprecated over the past 12-18 months.

Could Mclaren survive a good old fashion recession ?

Could Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc all?

Would the Board @ Ferrari continue in F1?

Who knows?

sixcarbs, Nospinzone, TKSA and 2 others like this.
  7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Im not sure if plummeting is such a bad thing, to me it means that the cars may now be fairly priced, rather than commanding a big jar of K Y jelly to ease the pain lol

vraa and Texas Forever like this.
  8. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Doesn’t seem to bother Ferrari as the stock is now at $153.

9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Visited the Lamborghini factory last month. If I believe the tour guide...every car being built has already been sold...made to order basically. Every work station has giant digital clocks counting down how much time each station has before the car must move on. Of course they are bankrolled by VW, not by the marketplace, they are a trophy bride for Volkswagen.

I think the future of the long term market for super cars lies with the nature of today's buyers. Is it a fad to most of them? Or does the purchase come from a real passion for the object? We know that electric supercars will soon begin replacing the ICE. How will we feel about those cars? Who even buys cars today? How many are leased and turned in by two years to get the next big thing.

Does anyone remember when people had "keepers"...a car you loved so much you couldn't conceive of selling it? Do any of the modern super cars generate enthusiasm beyond a couple of sets of sticky tires and then appreciation vs depreciation?

I'm already priced out of the modern car market. But any slump that puts the Keepers I Let Get Away back in my grasp is fine with me.

10. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If exotic cars are everywhere... Are they really exotics? If they are no harder to drive and just as comfortable as a Camry, are they really truly exotic? If they make as many as they can sell, and if everyone joins in on it, they aren't exotic anymore.

11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Good point, where I spend a lot of time, Ferraris, Lambos are everywhere, and just as another poster here asked . are they driving them because of a genuine love or passion for the marks ? In most cases, absolutely not . I was in my Ferrari yesterday, while getting ready to drive by a guy in a beautiful Gallardo, he and I paused in the middle of the street, our cars facing the other way, took the time to talk for a few seconds before horns started blowing, it was pretty cool with that being said, its a rare occasion. In the same downtown area a guy driving a California passed by me with a stupid ass look on his face, another idiot behind the wheel of a Ferrari . I may be judgemental, I know .

Thank you

daytona355, sixcarbs and PaulK like this.
  12. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    They are no longer exotics. The only exotic left is Pagani. These are "luxury" brands and that has been has been dumbed down too. It is analogous to the European fashion houses who were once ateliers that now produce overpriced mediocre merchandise.

13. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Let's not forget Koenigsegg. Fwiw, Pagani uses M-B AMG engines.

14. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I hope so.
    I had my eyes on the 675LT and 2-3 years ago they were going for 400+
    now they are mid 200's
    Hopefully in two years....

15. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Manufacturers are pumping out new models, new variants, new special editions, etc at a rapid pace these days.. All while upping production numbers overall. By the time you take delivery of your spec'd new car, within a year, they are already debuting the model replacing yours.. Or coming out with a "mid life" update, which is every couple years now. The markets are becoming flooded, new and used. Yeah, there are more millionaires than ever.. However, many just want the latest and greatest thing to show off. A 2 or 3 year old Ferrari or Lambo is completely off their radars. The used car market is becoming overwhelmed by these modern day exotics that you can almost consider "mass produced" in a sense. There's just so many cars to choose from these days, all with very similar specs, which buyers will never be able to use 90% of the car's capabilities anyways. And yeah, a recession or market collapse would spell disaster. I just don't know how this pace can continue, that includes both primary and secondary markets.

16. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    daytona355 likes this.
  17. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I know honda is putting money in trunk for the new nsx's too, do you have more information about cash in trunk for the rolls? I'm very interested

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    How many of these cars are leased instead of sold? MB and Porsche are doing a subscription model. MSRP is a joke. All that matters is cash on cash.

19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    dont vehicles usually lose 1/2 value in 3-5 years anyhow? is this really news.....

AMG has been destroying resale value for a decade +

RedNeck, JCR, vrsurgeon and 1 other person like this.
  20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    ALOT of money sloshing around right now. Might be a leading indicator but I doubt it.
    Ast0n has always been like AMG in the depreciation department. Look at the DB7.. No news here IMHO

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Bring on the recession. In the last recession I bought a Mercedes AMG with a MSRP sticker of $130K for $37K. It was only 2 years old with 15K miles. Now that’s depreciation! There are a lot of people out there that over extend themselves and there are a few additional cars that I would like to have. ;)

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For guys like me who love to drive their Ferraris I am looking forward to great pickins' in the secondary market. :)

23. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Monthly payment plus up front money? The envelope then the nut?

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    For someone who doesn't mind shelling out say $2,500 a month forever, a shiny new car every year is the way to go.

LARRYH and RonH like this.