458 Speciale vs. CGT - Owner's impressions | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 Speciale vs. CGT - Owner's impressions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Gene-O, May 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #51 rockitman, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  2. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
    #52 Gene-O, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Thanks Josh, nice read. And I don't disagree with anything you're saying. You stated it perfectly yourself above. The CGT is really a race track bred car. It MUST have hot brakes and tires for you to get the max out of it. What I was stating was the obvious, that the car cannot "come in" unless it's under the demands of a race track. I stand by my evaluation and the way I phrased it... that the CGT is a Race Car with some extra downforce thrown in to make it feel safer on the road. Without a doubt, if I were to tune the CGT to win a race, depending on the track, I'd probably remove some downforce, but that's not it's role as a "consumer" car. It's like comparing the 918 that you can buy vs. the 918 that won Le Mans... the car is just going to be set up differently.

But without the street version CGT brakes being, to quote myself "hot laps hot", they do not offer the same immediate grip that the 458S does or other more modern street versions of race cars do. I have played with different brake pad compounds in my life (mostly on my Supra) and I can easily simulate the problem that I talked about on the CGT. In fact, I wrote a letter to Porsche after taking delivery complimenting them to the sky about the suspension and engine, but decrying the use of "racing pads" on their brakes because I felt it was just unnecessarily dangerous. Their response was very pleasant and they kind of acknowledged the problem, buy said they were not going to create a different pad for the car. So this is not just my opinion. (And for the record, I was offered a 918 almost immediately... actually saw it at the Miami reveal and talked with sales about it).

Look, take any race car and put it on the road and it's just not going to behave as it does on the track because it's tuned for maximum acceleration, maximum braking and maximum g-forces on the tires ALL THE TIME... conditions rarely if ever available on the street (unless it's a street course). My overall point was that, as much as I LOVED my CGT, it acted a bit like a "maximum heat" race car that can take maximum abuse and laugh it off, and that that can make it a bit twitchy on the street when and if you try to push it, because it's too "cold" for the street.

And yes the new tires did help "alert" when one is getting close to the limit, but the 458S just trounces it in terms of "feedback" that I can use to my advantage "on the street". I'm sure racing the 458S would require different pads and a few other adjustments to downforce.

There is NO DOUBT that modern supercars use a lot of computer gimmickry to make one feel like superman as you blindly careen around corners you might not have the skill level to take if those computers were not there. So what I was simply stating was that A) The CGT on the street can make one feel like you can't really let it all hang out safely, and B) That the 458S is a nice balance of brakes you can use even if cold, plus a nice balance of robotic driving aids to let you safely throw the car around.

Neither of what I've just said takes away from the awesomeness of both cars. :)

This is one of my own private reasons why I question this "drag race" mentality going on as the power and torque keep going up, because the higher it goes, the more computer power you need to safely use it. And does that take away from the driving experience? The CGT represents one of the most awesome cars that you can "thrash" and it just shrugs it off, all with very little computer intervention. But whatever techno magic makes more modern carbon/ceramic brakes work so well when cold I simply wish had been available on the CGT because then it would truly conquer all. Who knows.. maybe someone WILL come up with some new pads that you replace more often but give you that immediate bite at any temperature but from what I've read, it's a bit more involved than that (something to do with servo adjusting how much force is applied at certain points of braking, with more force to start with and easing up as the heat goes up).

But again, thank you for taking the time to relay your thoughts... very well said! Have fun out there!

mclaren slr likes this.
  3. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
    You know, the truth is, you stop racing even for a winter and you get rusty and it used to amaze me and my co-driver how crappy our lap times were or how many times we spun out as we practiced to get back up to speed. One year, I raced FA in New Zealand during our winter, and at the first U.S. race at Phoenix International, I went from 6th to 2nd on the first lap. So the motto is, you can't practice enough, and you'll still lose something if you're not doing it all the time, not unlike any sport. This is what Jay experienced... had he been practicing at ovals for a season, he most likely would never have spun out.

So for me, any street use of a race car beyond a certain level is just asking for trouble unless you're actively racing at the time.

And look at Paul Walker's death in a CGT with his "race car driving" buddy at the wheel.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Great comparo!

5. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Really?! That's a typical keyboard / magazine reader comment.

You too mate - very interesting read!

6. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles

Completely agree - i have an 89 Supersport which is borderline my favorite car for the reasons you mentioned:

[​IMG]

OneD likes this.
  7. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    #57 Finlander, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
    Best of both worlds :)

9. TJF

TJF Karting

Aug 27, 2011
    California
    I have both cars too.
    They are a decade apart. The only thing they have in common is that they're both great cars and fun to drive at the opposite spectrums.
    The Ferrari with all of its drivers aids is a great track car.
    The Carrera GT is Analog car. If I had to sell one of them, it would be the Ferrari.

mclaren slr, Makuono and plastique999 like this.
  10. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
    From a collector's point of view, that would be a very wise decision.

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Great write up and I too hope to own both as well!
    Though I couldn’t let go of my CGT

Sent from my 16M

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    New life has recently been breathed into a few other dormant threads, so I'm reviving one of my fav's as well! The opening post to this thread remains absolutely EPIC! :)

13. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    ^Great first post write up
    Thanks for waking this one up.

14. PorscheGuy

PorscheGuy Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have both (black Speciale and GT Silver CGT). Love them both. Without question, if I had to sell one - it would be the Speciale. The CGT is on another level.

15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    that was a damn epic first post. The 4 year old content was more enjoyable and fun to read than the crap I see from most car magazines these days

Gh21631 likes this.
  16. Camelot

Camelot Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2013
    down South
    Great write up. I have a Speciale and thinking to get CGT. I was wondering how do they compare apart from manual amd dual clutch. Thanks for your comparison.

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thanks for the thread revival!....I’m quoting myself last year because I finally did add S to my stable.
    I’d say the CGT and Speciale are on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of feel and handling.

Sent from my 16M

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Had a chance to drive both this weekend and I can only say that the CGT drive was definitely more impressionable and appreciative. In a nutshell, the S is very easy to pick up the keys and drive anywhere. Friday took a quick spin to work to pick up some products then off to the golf course. Slight drizzle in the morn but no worries. Always like to let the engine spool out the RPM’s in any gear to hear the F1 scream.

Saturday was a car meet that had me pre registered with the CGT (wanted to drive the Speciale as it would have been easier). Woke up again to a drizzle and was hesitant but it won’t melt in the rain, right? Open the garage door, unhook the battery tender, and the experience begins... unlatch the heavy door which releases with a loud mechanical click. Instantly enveloped with the distinct leather smell that nostalgically reminds me a bit of my dad’s old 924. Step over the large CF side sill into the CF tub. Slide into the narrow, vertically upright seats. Heavy clutch in, and turn the key with left hand and waggle the beechwood stick with the the right hand. Slide my hand along the smooth magnesium console. Fire up the engine to instantly feel the vibrations of the car and the howl of the NA V10. Warm up engine for a few minutes and inhale more Porsche aroma. Listen to the chatter of the clutch. No creature comforts.
    Slow release of clutch to auto-throttle in reverse and feel heavy steering on a slow turn. Difficult to reverse and maneuver when slow (needs speed!), large aerodynamic driver’s mirror obstructs view on left hand turn. First couple minutes shift from first to third to let 2nd gear warm up (common in these cars). It’s raining, tires cold, so drive 60 on freeway. Window wiper ain’t so smooth but does the trick. Drive towards dry weather.
    Then open her up! Once warm, pedal to the medal, with some quick clutch releases, and the V10 is screaming! Car “feels” lightning quick, no nannies. Heel-toe, rev match on downshift takes getting used to after driving paddle shifter cars. Everything feels mechanical. When I arrive to the gathering on Colorado Bridge in Pasadena, windows down, the most common compliment I hear is “Gorgeous!”
    Have to reverse into diagonal position which honestly takes me a few times. Press the rear wing button to elevate it, cool. Hob nob with friends, talk about the CGT history with some new people, then off to breakfast. Spirited drive home, and safely back in the garage. Last look back at the CF weave under the GT silver paint. Car needs a wash.
    It was a good day.

(Would post pics but problem with Tapatalk)

Sent from my 16M