French GP 2019 - Pre-Race news | Page 2 | FerrariChat

French GP 2019 - Pre-Race news

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Press says they have decided not to. Speculation that telemetry shows that Vettel turned to the right after he had regained control, ie squeezing into the wall!

If the team wont back him...!

william likes this.
  2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #27 DeSoto, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    According to motorsport.com (aka Our Loved Master), they won't appeal, because FIA is not willing to admit protests again time penalties: that could trigger another appeal from Mercedes because the penalty affected their race strategy and so on. Ferrari could skip FIA and go straight to the TAS at Laussane.

I think it would easier and more useful to throw a pie at Jean Todt's face.

Bas, 375+ and Jakuzzi like this.
  3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Interesting...I wasn't aware of the alternative appeals process.

Shame the telemetry hasn't/wont be posted !!!!!

From UK paper today "Despite Vettel’s fury at the decision to penalise him for running off the track at Montreal, team principal Mattia Binotto has written to the FIA to inform them that Ferrari will not be lodging an official challenge ahead of Thursday morning’s deadline."

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    As I said elsewhere, it’s like appealing against the prison officer beating you up, no one is going change anything, and it just means the prison officer makes sure to lock you up in your cell alone with him the next week too.. **** Mercedes, and **** the FIA. Ferrari needs to announce they are leaving F1 at the end f the current agreement to form another series (or join one), the value of libertys investment will hit the floor and keep falling immediately, and f1 ends. Mercedes don’t put any bums on seats, people come to watch ferrari, not a dumdum and his waiter rotating around a track protected from being beaten by stewards who are as relevant to their position as the pope to bin laden

fil likes this.
  5. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Sounds great.... you can change the tyres, you are fully aware none teams are struggling to make them work, but unless they come with a begging letter (unlikely for any teams to admit they can’t do something) then they won’t consider changing them. So they are happy that their shareholders at Mercedes are winning everything, knowingly are supplying goods they know ONLY Mercedes can make work correctly, and are in no rush to change them to suit anyone else (until the titles are mathematically over, no doubt, and then a massive change and red bull and ferrari place the top four spots every race down to tyres)

Yeah, way to run a business. First thing I’m doing this summer is get their Pirelli **** off my own ferrari and replace them with Michelin’s.... Pirelli are crap anyway, Bridgestone and Michelin are streets ahead

WilyB, stavura and 635CSI like this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Fully agree on the tire switch - GO Michelin! :) They are superb.

WilyB, stavura, 635CSI and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Hopefully Ferrari prevails and Vettel gets his deserved win. :)

daytona355 likes this.
  8. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I'm left wondering if Lance Stroll's spec 2 engine failure was a "flash in the pan" (pun intended) or is there a weakness Mercedes needs to consider. All five other cars with the Spec 2 Mercedes power unit finished the race but I suspect the engineers aren't using that result as confirmation they don't have a problem. Was Bottas' lackluster performance an indication they dialed him back?

9. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    What IS the tread thickness? I thought I read here it was .4mm, not reduced .4mm. Not being argumentative with you DF1, just the usual frustration that the pinnacle of technical motorsport is kept a secret from those fans who care most......

10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ricci and Hulk on the podium?? Yessss!

DF1 likes this.
  11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I agree, had them on the Bentley, and they were awesome, and on Maserati’s and Ferrari’s they are way better at speed, much more grip, and the wet weather performance is a massive upgrade compared to the Pirellis

WilyB likes this.
  12. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Funnily enough the last car I had Pilot Sports on was ...err, a Mercedes AMG.
    The Michelins on my Lusso (only 2WD ) are awesome especially in the wet, which is our natural state in the UK.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Aim low.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, apparently Ferrari dropped the appeal !!

That says it all.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The dawn will take you all...

Bas likes this.
  16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    What does it say???
    That the FIA will not take back a penalty because they would make even bigger fools out of themselves and Mercedes would file a complaint (rightfully) that they would have attacked if the penalty was not given...No matter what, the appeal would not have any chance

stavura, tonyswfla, crinoid and 2 others like this.
  17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hehe, I had Pirelli’s on the C63 a while ago, 2000 miles per set on the back, in 8000 miles I had 4 sets of the damn things!

18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Very very low, you’d have to skim the ground to hit him in the face! Short arse!

Bas likes this.
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Extremely rare that any of these type of cases are taken forward. Simply not worth the effort and brings the sport further into disrepute.

The most likely outcome for this would be ''duly noted''.

daytona355, crinoid and P.Singhof like this.
  20. DF1

I hope we have more of a Bahrain like weekend. - GO Charles!

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-the-same-weaknesses-as-before/

Despite claiming pole position and a double podium finish in Canada, Mattia Binotto concedes Ferrari’s SF90 is still plagued with the same “weaknesses” it had before the race.

Throughout this year’s campaign, Ferrari’s 2019 car has shown great speed in a straight line but is lagging behind the likes of Mercedes when it comes to cornering speed.

Added to that the Scuderia have struggled with the revised Pirellis, finding it difficult to find the working window.

As such the nature of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, the venue for the Canadian GP, played into the hands of Ferrari.

Sebastian Vettel claimed pole position before racing his way towards the win, only to be denied by the race stewards.

His finished P2, joined on the podium by team-mate Charles Leclerc.

“We know it is a circuit that is more power sensitive, and it is rear limited not front [limited] like Barcelona,” Binotto told Motorsport.com. “So it is more similar to a Bahrain than a Barcelona.

“We knew that coming here we would be closer to Mercedes, but how much closer I don’t think we had any clue.

“I think the Friday performance relative to them was difficult, and the track improvement through the weekend, with more grip on the track, somehow we coped with the weaknesses we have.

“But the car as a matter of fact is exactly the same as it was in Spain. [There have been] no upgrades since then, so let’s say the weaknesses we have are still here on the car.

“It is as simple as that.

“We need to work and try to improve, because there will be other races that are not Canada. We need to keep fighting and challenge them.”

Seven races into this season and Ferrari are second in the standings with 172 points, 123 behind runaway championship leaders Mercedes.

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  22. DF1

I am frustrated as well. This lack of clarification leads to speculation but helps our post counts lol :)

23. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    True, let's see what the rest of the season brings :)

24. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I predict a Mercedes win - wow, what a shock. I bet no one would be daft enough to have money on any other winner - what a great competitive formula we have..... where the results are guaranteed by the sports regulator, and protected by stewards charged with ensuring any fluke victory by others doesn’t happen.....

375+ likes this.
  25. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144176/pirelli-warns-unhappy-teams-2018-tyres-wont-help

Pirelli Formula 1 boss Mario Isola says it is wrong to assume that switching to last year's tyres would help teams struggling with the 2019 specification.

Amid Mercedes' dominant start to the season, Pirelli's thinner-tread 2019 tyres have been criticised by several teams for being too difficult to get to their optimal working temperature.

That has even led to calls for Pirelli to switch back to its 2018 tyres, although nobody has made a formal approach to make that happen.

Isola told Autosport: "The tyres are new, but also the cars are new.

"There's a new aero package, generating different downforce compared to last year.

"I'm not sure if we go back to the 2018 specification, with a new car, [it will work].

"We cannot assume that the 2018 specification is working on the current cars."

One of the chief critics of the impact the 2019 tyres have had on the pecking order has been Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko.

He told Red Bull-owned Speedweek that the reason no complaints were made before the season began is "the problem was not foreseeable".

"The winter test takes place at such low temperatures that you would otherwise never find all year round," he said.

"At that time, people still thought that this could be corrected somehow. But that was not the case."

However, Isola says the teams are just facing the same "learning curve" they always do.

"All the teams are trying to understand, in the quickest way, how to use the tyres," said Isola.

"Somebody is better, they can do that earlier. Some take more time to achieve this.

"As long as we have a product that is safe, reliable, no blisters, overheating is lower [Pirelli is satisfied].

"The difference is we cannot modify the tyre during the season, they can modify the car during the season.

"So, we are not in control of their process to modify the car. They are free to do what they want."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mercedes has won all seven races so far this season but is not the only team satisfied with Pirelli's 2019 tyres.

McLaren F1 CEO Zak Brown said: "Of course our car is operating in a completely different window compared to the top three teams, there is one and a half seconds missing, but in the window we are operating now we are pretty happy with how the tyres work.

"We think we understand how to use these different specs.

"That is the technical challenge, so we don't see a need to do any changes, especially during the season."

Even Haas team boss Gunther Steiner, who stands alongside Marko as a major critic of Pirelli's new specification, agrees that switching back is not the right move.

"We need to be careful what we wish for," he said. "We need to find out what we actually want before we say we should go back to last year's, and then we complain about them.

"That doesn't make us look very clever. We need to be careful, and try to understand and deal with them."

NürScud likes this.