Ferrari back to LMP1 ? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari back to LMP1 ?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by greyboxer, May 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #102 Igor Ound, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Already forgot everything about the hyper-car class you too just discussed in this thread ...???

Hello?

crinoid and lorenzobandini like this.
  3. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    What I would like to see is something more like the BPR series rather than the messed up 90´s GT1. How the FIA could allow first Porsche and then Mercedes to circumvent the regulations is just ridiculous and led to cars like the Nissan R390 and Toyota GT-One. Of course the dominance of the McLaren F1 was a big factor in Porsche starting down this road but then the McLaren started out as a street car and was available to the public before it hit the racetrack.

william likes this.
  4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Maybe however. Some with some info have pointed out that there is no factory discussion or plan to develop this into a race car. :/

5. So true, but I, like IO, wouldn't mind it happening. ;)

crinoid likes this.
  6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  8. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    “There will be freedom in the design of the hypercars in terms of body and underbody, as long as the styling does not impact on safety criteria.”

With confirmed entry of Aston’s Valkyrie in the new hyper sport category, this will give some serious headache to all the other manufacturers. If you can basically do whatever you want in terms of design this gives the Valkyrie a big leap forward that I don’t see Ferrari with the SF90 Stradale is being able to catch up with the Valkyrie (at least not aerodynamics-wise and weight will be challenge too).

ingegnere and Bas like this.
  9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

They are going to BoP the class. It is like comparing the Ford GT to the BMW M8 in the GTE class.

Igor Ound likes this.
  10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

OK, but the rules should allow a private team to develop an existing supercar (or hypercar if you want) by itself without factory help.
    A lot of hypercar have potential to make great race cars, but their manufacturers aren't really interested to go racing themselves.

I think the future of the WEC and Le Mans would be better if more private teams could participate, instead of trying to lure manufacturers.

11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I wish Ferrari would enter WEC, but I just don't see it happening. Privateers are fine, but usually cash strapped.

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I wouldn’t be so sure. Many incentives for Ferrari to join with the SF90. Of course they would never admit it now.

13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    They will do it if they can as a customer program. No way it is a factory program.

14. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Ferrari wants nothing to do with Hypercar program. They wanted FIA/ACO to up the minimum weight, lower the L/D ratio by 30% and raise the minimum target lapspeed, so their cars could be competitive with a Valkyrie/Senna hypercar.

I was there at the TWG when all of this was discussed.

15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Agree. SF90 is a highly styled street car while the Valkyrie is a barely streetable race car.

G. Pepper and crinoid like this.
  16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This makes sense as Ferrari have NO car that would come close to this Formula. It does sound like the Valkyrie maybe the only (and perhaps the SGC car) street legal car to do well in this category.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Not always, and some of them are more efficient. Look at Penske, or Chip Ganassi.

What about Reinhold Joest who defeated the Porsche factory 4 times at Le Mans, with ...Porsches !

Same for Walter Brun whose team defeated Porsche in the WEC one year, running ... Porsches.

18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Usually means not always.

crinoid and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I hope Gordon Murray makes the T50 into a race version for the hypercar class. I'm sure BoP will try to negate any advantage it has though...

444sp and crinoid like this.
  20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    With the idea of the GTE + discarded, Ferrari should have to develop and market a Valkyrie equivalent. So at best, don´t expect them to get there until 2022 or so.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Anything in the rules that would prevent someone from entering in their own FXX-K Evo? All I see in the rules are at least 20 road going versions made over 2 years. It doesn't say when those cars had to be made so I guess that could work. :)

william likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The rules are still vague. Nothing should stop a private initiative to develop an existing supercar into a racing hypercar, even if the constructor doesn't want to be involved. Also, why not allow unrestricted GTE cars into the hypercar class?

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don't know if the rules restrict old cars, but Ferrari wouldn't be interested at all in running with something they are not selling now, and for a privateer, developing the old LaFerrari into something competitive would be impossible.

24. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    Could it be the future F40 Icona, the Ferrari for this category? Perhaps the engineering for the SF90S could develop much more for a F40 Icona and get to the level of the Valkyrie.

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Still don’t understand what would be wrong with the SF90. It would be fantastic marketing thanks to the BoP