Best O2 Sensor ? | FerrariChat

Best O2 Sensor ?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Muffincrumbs, Jun 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Muffincrumbs

Muffincrumbs Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jared Slotoroff
    Hi everyone,

New guy here. Already have a code at 19k miles 2015 Cali T Vert... so... what O2 sensor should I buy? How many are needed?

Image Unavailable, Please Login I remember from my Maserati that it did not have to be a Ferrari part, im thinking the same must be true here as my scanner worked.

Thanks in advance!!

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What was the actual OBD2 PCODE? Actually it's mainly a different point of view, as Ferraris also use parts that are used on Maseratis. ;) I suspect the O2 sensors are from Bosch or some similarly big-player supplier.

However IMO, unless you are or have access to a qualified or very experienced mechanic, with Ferrari experience, I suggest letting a Ferrari dealer sort it out for you. It's not expensive to replace an O2 sensor but 19k miles isn't high mileage so there may be an engine tuning or some other issue that caused the fault as defective parts are usually flushed out within the first 1k miles. The pcode(s) may just be a symptom of other problem(s), especially if the sensor failure was caused by overheating.

Muffincrumbs likes this.
  3. Muffincrumbs

Muffincrumbs Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jared Slotoroff
    After 48 hours it corrected itself. I just drove it and no light. Fingers crossed it was just a glitch. Your advice is taken and ill bring it to the shop when im near an actual city to have the code evaluation done. Ty.

4th_gear likes this.
  4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Maybe it was a “check engine light” (CEL)? That could be just a temporary issue with the gas cap or EVAP system. Glad it cleared up on its own.

Muffincrumbs likes this.
  5. Muffincrumbs

Muffincrumbs Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jared Slotoroff
    It was a p2096 "running lean bank 1" and it smelled lean. My theroy is the previous owner had never opened her up for real. Because the cel came on 3.5 mins after a 0 to 120 mph run I belive the turbos dumbed soot (black stuff) and fouled an upper o2 sensor.

Tubos are known to do this an I imagine no one ever rode this horse that hard. Honesty that was the fastest acceleration I have ever felt

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If the engine is running lean there should not be any soot. Soot is from unburnt gas which happens if the engine runs too rich with too much fuel to air. If the engine is running lean there would be too much air to fuel so it should run clean but you might feel a loss in power or the engine may feel rough when you accelerate because 1 bank is not producing the same power as the other bank.

If you only got the code when you did the hard accelerations it may be due to inadequate fuel delivery, maybe caused by a dirty injector(s). Of course it can also be a bad reading from a faulty sensors like the O2 sensor but as I pointed out, your mileage is not high enough to cause normal failure of sensors. The dirt may be in the fuel or due to the car not having been used enough. How long have you owned the car? If you just bought it then maybe the car had sat for a while and could use a long highway drive with a bit of fuel injector cleaner added to the fuel. Your dealer can recommend an injector cleaner.

If your car continues to throw the same pcode under normal driving I would get it serviced immediately. Otherwise try to run the car regularly, look for issues and have it checked when you take it in for service.

Muffincrumbs likes this.