Marko just said what everyone else is thinking! | FerrariChat

Marko just said what everyone else is thinking!

Discussion in 'F1' started by furoni, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Marko hits out at perceived Mercedes bias

Date published: June 14 2019

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Sebastian Vettel’s Canadian GP penalty is just another sign that there is bias towards Mercedes, so saysRed Bull advisor Helmut Marko.

Vettel was slapped with a five-second time penalty in Montreal for an “unsafe” turn, handing the race win to Lewis Hamilton.

It was the Brit’s fifth of this season and Mercedes’ seventh allowing the Brackley team to race to a massive 100-plus lead after just seven races.

Marko reckons Vettel’s penalty was completely wrong.

He told Auto Bild: “Sebastian did not do anything wrong. He had his hands full keeping the car on the track.

“Hamilton could just have passed on the inside or simply braked. He also has a duty to prevent an accident but he risked a collision to gain an advantage. And then he complained on the radio.

“Sebastian’s penalty is therefore unfair and leaves a bad aftertaste. The rules urgently need changing.”

Pressed as to whether he believed F1’s powers-that-be are biased towards Mercedes, Marko cited this year’s revised Pirelli tyres which play to the strength of Mercedes’ W10.

“Let’s put it this way: it’s noticeable that the rule changes and decisions have always been good for Mercedes lately,” he said.

“For example, Pirelli changed the tyre tread for 2019 so they won’t overheat, but in 2018 only Mercedes had a problem with that.

“Suddenly in 2019, Mercedes is the only one to get the temperatures in the correct working window. Everyone else has not.

“It’s funny. We all had the opportunity to react to it but the cars were all designed for less downforce.

“Only Mercedes chose to build a car with a lot of downforce and traction – in hindsight that was exactly the way to get the most from these new tyres.”

The Austrian even went as far to state that he “cannot” rule out suspicion that Mercedes received Pirelli’s tyre data ahead of their rivals.

“I cannot prove that Mercedes got data earlier than we did, I cannot rule it out,” said Marko, “but it doesn’t build confidence when you look at Liberty.

“We at Red Bull will have to look very closely at the future development of Formula 1 and there will also be discussions with Pirelli.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.

stavura, crinoid, Finlander and 12 others like this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I assume that Pirelli is a supplier to manufacturer Daimler Benz and its many entities. Any idea of the $ that flow to Pirelli?o_O

Thomas S. likes this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

H-Mut would be celebrating had Max been following Vettel. Max is quick to press H-Mut radio, and H-Mut is no Ferrari fan!! Useless statement. Dont like Mercedes winning? Build a better car H-Mut. Newey didnt get it right eh Marko!!

bmwracer, werewolf and william like this.
  4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    ^ What a breath of fresh air. As an independent, unrelated to any particular driver or team, Helmut speaks from a perspective of purity, free from bias or sour grapes. (sarcasm)

5. DF1

LOL :)

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    But he does have a point.

Had the tyres stayed the same, the racing would be a whole lot closer and we'd probably have an exciting season to watch with all 3 teams competitive.

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Helmut Marko, as pure as the driven snow ...

tuttebenne, vinuneuro and werewolf like this.
  8. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    "Sebastian did not do anything wrong" .... but Hamilton "risked a collision to gain an advantage."

LOL

tuttebenne, daytona355 and william like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    And who in F1 is? Welcome to the Piranha Club.

I'm 360 Canuck and william like this.
  10. DF1

Pirelli has made the same tyres for all and all had previous experience. I sense no conspiracy and dont care that Mercedes is doing the best with them. They designed a winning car that takes into account those same tyres all others are using. We would not care if Ferrari were 7-0 would we. There is not proof of conspiracy for a Mercedes advantage. They have developed a car that works. Should we not expect Ferrari to do the same. Their basie aero concept is broken. Its nice for straight lines. What series did they think they were driving in. Binotto is so great????????????????????? Not impressed.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Same tyres for all, yes.

But teams start designing their cars early on (may ish). Mercedes, the only team with tyre issues, lobbied to have them changed to the ''merc spec'' tyre that was used at 3 races last year. So whilst all teams did best they could to make a car which uses the spec tyre they where supposed to have, suddenly at the end of last year the tyre was changed....to one Mercedes prefers.

I'd call that lobbying. Yes, same for all, but not really, seeing as Mercedes couldn't get the tyre under control.

If there isn't an issue, lets run the thicker thread tyre and see who wins then?

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Of course mercedes knew from the start wich tires Pirelli was going to use, just like they new the hybrid rules long before anyone else, that's how they win, without resorting to this sort of cheating they would be unable to win...

stavura, crinoid, fil and 1 other person like this.
  13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    If Mercedes is so great working around issues, why did they not work around the issues before the tire change???
    Fact is that Mercedes did profit the most from the change of tires and I leave it to you if together with all the other crap this is just by chance or by system....

stavura, crinoid, Finlander and 4 others like this.
  14. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    This is classic Formula 1 - teams always complain about the winning teams advantage. It used to happen against Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Red Bull. Indeed it happens in a lot of sports - people love a winner, but often equally (or more) love knocking them off the pedestal. I don't know if Mercedes and/or the FIA are crooked - none of us do, and we can't do much about it. However if there is enough momentum (according to Marko, only Mercedes and McLaren are happy with the tyres), can't the other 8 teams lodge a formal, impartial complaint/inquest, rather than just whine a lot and do nothing about it?
    Many factors go into the success of a car. The tyres are a key component (unfortunately), but not the only component. This year we have seen radical variations in aero, so let's not brush that under the carpet. Mercedes happened to stay with a more traditional package- change too many variables at once, and the impact is likely to be difficult to manage.

Let's get a formal inquiry going instead of schoolyard gossip. If Mercedes/FIA are up to something, let them pay the consequences. If they aren't, drop it.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. It's hardly easy to work around it! Far easier lobbying when you got FIA in your pcoket.

SimCity3 and daytona355 like this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Exactly my sentiment. Spreading malicious gossips is cheap..
    The teams that complained haven't got the guts to do anything.
    They meet regularly, but wouldn't initiate an official enquiry to back their complaints.
    What about a boycott at the next GP, to force the FIA to examine their claims?

17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Mercedes clearly cheat, if anyone has a problem seeing that, then I have a lovely bridge for sale that would look great in your garden.... comes with a free LaFerrari Aperta

stavura, SimCity3 and nietoale1 like this.
  18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    The Montreal decision closed the lid on F1 for me. Pleased I don’t own a team because I’d fold it after Canada.

stavura, SimCity3 and daytona355 like this.
  19. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Mmmm, good idea, ask the body that is accused of cheating with Mercedes to investigate their cheating with Mercedes.... I reckon that will produce a truly independent, unbiased and comprehensive result, and no doubt they will tell the truth, just like Mercedes did with their illegal tyre tests, secret meetings at Pirelli and stewards who miraculously fall asleep a second before any transgressions in a sleep to beat rumplestiltskin, but awaken perfectly afterwards and see other teams requiring penalties at every corner..... works great that. Maybe they could get Vladimir putin to investigate Russian collusion in elections across Europe and the US afterwards! Hahahahahahahsha. Funny as ****, that’s cheered me up! I laughed so hard my leg almost fell off (Monday, it might!)

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    To me, people who have legitimate reasons to feel agrieved by a situation but then find enough excuses to do nothing about it are just cowards who should have kept their mouth shut in the first place.
    I remember the time when teams or drivers used to strike, boycotted events or refused to start races.
    By the way, I remember Enzo Ferrari sending back his competitor license to the FIA in protest !
    Now everything is done by spreading rumours, going on social media, and not sticking your neck out too much.

tuttebenne likes this.
  21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    In the 21st century, there are contracts with minute detail,and lawyers employed to know every single word.... you can’t just strike without paying millions out, and your sponsors will Sue you for loss of earnings... it ain’t Kansas anymore in f1

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  22. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    If this sentiment prevails throughout the teams, then someone should and needs to take an official stance, if nothing else for their own personal benefit. If nobody lodges a formal complaint, then how can we expect anything to change? The FIA consists of many people, many countries - surely they can't all be complicit?

william likes this.
  23. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Those Mercedes-specific tires! If everyone was on a level playing field no doubt LeClerc wouldn't have had his soft power unit in Bahrain and Vettel wouldn't have spun. And those damn tires reared their ugly head again when Ferrari Management decided to let Leclerc sit out the rest of qualifying in Monaco so he could watch himself drop down the order with every car crossing the start finish line in Q3. And that big off in Canada for Vettel - again, it wouldn't have happened if those tires weren't more well suited for Mercedes. Yeah they really need to do something about those tires. (sarcasm)

william likes this.
  24. DF1

They are building a car in a more less focused concept than Ferrari, allowing for better 'all-round' performance over a wide envelope(circuits). Its documented and verifiable with performance above Ferrari and others except specific circuits. So that is NOT by accident, certainly by design.

The aero itself is better, the loading needed on the tires follows. Sorry but as a Ferrari fan Im not pointing the finger at cheating with no proof. I am stating that this is the opinion of many who know aero intimately. This cannot be ignored. Ferrari have been out developed again.

I do not like it but without proof of conspiracy I will offer my compliment as a fan of F1 where its due, no matter the team. In this case it is Mercedes. Can Ferrari face and equal the challenge. That is the ONLY question for me.

tuttebenne and william like this.
  25. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Correct! And since a while, Ferrari ONLY puts Michelin tyres on their road cars..... Pirelli is probably pissed with Ferrari.

stavura, I'm 360 Canuck and 375+ like this.