DIY: Best and easiest way to clean your engine | Page 8 | FerrariChat

DIY: Best and easiest way to clean your engine

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Apr 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    Yes it works . I’ve been doing that since last year. I also use a leaf blower to dry the engine and car when I wash it

whatheheck likes this.
  2. DaveCos

DaveCos Rookie

Apr 6, 2013
    Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Dave C
    Looks great, nicely done!!

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    Not sure about the Simple Green Extreme Motorsports product, but the label on their normal household cleaning product warns specifically against using it on aluminum. A friend of mine was happily cleaning his airplane one day with regular Simple Green and another aircraft owner saw what he as doing and nearly had a heart attack. I've heard that they have a new formulation that is aluminum friendly, but I'd read the label carefully before using it.

whatheheck and _JERRY_ like this.
  4. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Will go read the entire fine print carefully . Thanks for the caution
    Though I already used it once, better be safe than sorry. Will update. Cheers buddy.

“Sharing is Caring...”

5. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ChuckEBaby, Purch23, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Looks amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unreelviper likes this.
  7. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    Wow.... worked incredibly well!! Thanks Dan! Griots engine detail spray afterwards brings it up another notch as well! when I first cleaned it, my intake boxes had a milky look to them, I think it was some kind of film from another "detail/shine" product. Took a bit of effort but got them fully cleaned off, next time the whole thing will only take 10 mins. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Wow, that is better than show room condition! Great job!

Thanks for sharing and for making the time to express appreciation.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just wanted to add in my thanks to Dan for the idea, and share my results. Scrubbing bubble followed by Griot's. I used a handheld pump sprayer to rinse. It took me quite a while to rinse, because of the resultant low water pressure. Absolutely thrilled with the results!
    Kevin

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Wow, that is super clean!
    Great job!

Thanks for sharing and for expressing appreciation Kevin.

All the best to you.

Dan

kes7u and Sky Hye like this.
  11. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    whatheheck likes this.
  12. DaveCos

DaveCos Rookie

Apr 6, 2013
    Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Dave C
    f355spider and whatheheck like this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Wow, that is show room condition!
    Super clean!

Thanks for sharing Dave!

Dan

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    f355spider and whatheheck like this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  16. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    I know this is probably a dumb question, but I'm a pretty new owner. I have an F430 which of course has a belly pan. Does all the hosed off residue and water drain on its own from the pan? Anything I need to do to "help" it drain? Thanks.

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Never a dumb question.

All Ferrari's are designed to accept water from the top of the car. It will all flow down by gravity and drain through the drain holes in the belly pan.

The engine is never designed to sustain high pressure water so never use pressure washer.

Also avoid all electrical connections and avoid all spark plugs. Water wont damage the spark plugs but water will corrode the threads.

18. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I tried scrubbing bubbles and I think it ruined the finish of the engine bay panels in my 360. There were streaks left in the paint that would not come off. The cleaner also left white stains/streaks on the air filter covers.

I only left the cleaner on the car for ~1-2 minutes. I rinsed with a garden hose and then applied Griots dressing. The dressing covered up the streaks on the air filter covers. The streaks/stains on the side panels and "front" panel just below the glass window could not be hidden with dressing. I tried polishing and waxing with a microfiber towel, no improvement. I then removed all the panels and used 90% isopropyl alcohol and a blue shop paper towel. After lots of rubbing, I removed the stains by essentially removing some of the paint until the finish was even again (rag had black paint on it). At this point, I applied Griots dressing, which acted as a clear coat and my panels are acceptable again. I think a proper fix would be to have these panels clear coated again.

I regret trying using bathroom cleaner on my engine bay and won't try it again. It caused permanent damage to the painted surfaces. Not sure why I had this issue and other have had success. The type I used is "scrubbing bubbles with color action". Maybe this type had something to do with it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    My panels became streaky and nothing I used looked good to me. So I had them glass beaded and powder coated. Now they look brand new
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry to hear that Ken.

Here are my thoughts:

1) The product you used is not the original scrubbing bubbles with no other added additives. See post number 1.

2) As per my original post you are supposed to wipe everything down dry after rinsing.
    Once everything is dry then you can apply Griots Garage engine bay dressin, but that is optional. See post number 1.

21. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yeah, it must be this variant of scrubbing bubbles is more chemically aggressive. Lesson learned. Others out there, please don't use this type on your car!

I did dry everything before applying Griots dressing. The stains were already there and would not come off.

22. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    I had a similar issue with scrubbing bubbles on my air intakes. It turned kind of a white milky color.(my post is somewhere above) It seemed to me like it reacted with whatever the previous owner used to clean, polish or coat the engine bay with. I just ended up scrubbing for a while with soap and water, then put on the griots dressing. Came out great!

Sent from my SM-N975U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  23. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I believe that white milky color is the solvent in Scrubbing Bubbles attacking the paint. Maybe you used the same type I did?

24. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    550nitis, EastMemphis and RANDY6005 like this.
  25. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Where are you guys buying Scrubbing Bubbles now for around $2.50 a can? Cheapest I have seen has been around $9 each and I have 5 engine bays to do. Thanks!