Recommend a fire extinguisher | FerrariChat

Recommend a fire extinguisher

Discussion in '360/430' started by azzurribaggio, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Can anyone recommend a good compact fire extinguisher to have in the 430?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    DefunctNeurons and Mimmo Blue like this.
  3. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Someone posted this in the past it had caught my attention. Hope the link below works if not look up
    Element fire extinguisher.
    Good Luck.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  4. azzurribaggio

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As much as it pains me to say... let it burn. Do you want a car that caught fire, and all that entails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6. azzurribaggio

Hmmm interesting train of thought. I don't intend to sell this car so I'm not worried about resale value. But if insurance totals it is the mindset to just buy another one?

7. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I second the car-b-que. Make sure you let it burn to the ground before calling for help. ;)

kes7u, hessank and Bob in Texas like this.
  8. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I hadn't thought aboutit, but the car-b-q concept makes sense. I have a declared value on mine in the event of a total loss. That declared value is $32k more than I paid for the car. That said, just make sure you can get it out of your garage if a fire breaks out there! I park mine in neutral on one of those parking things that you drive up and over. In the event I need to push it out, I can,

EastMemphis likes this.
  9. azzurribaggio

Speaking of declared value, can I still do that after the car has been insured? I got mine insured just this past week

10. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    I have Element fire extinguisher (1/2 LB) in all of my cars.
    you really do not want a regular 7LB (for a standard 5LB fire bottle) item loosely bolted in a car crash... race cars have strict regulation how to mount fire extinguisher, not your average joe.

11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Some ins. co. offer declared value, some don't. Call your ins. agent and find out.

12. azzurribaggio

13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a nice air cooled 911 that I had spent years restoring bit by bit. One day, pulling out of the garage, I looked in the mirror to be sure the garage door was going down and I saw flames shooting out of the engine compartment. All in one purposeful motion, I killed the engine, popped the lid, jumped out, grabbed the fire extinguisher I had behind the driver's seat, burned the heck (minor really) out of my hand popping the engine lid up and then sprayed the living heck out of the engine area with a dry chemical extinguisher. The fire burned for maybe 15 seconds and in that time, burned out all the tubes, wires, and lines in that area.

It took a lot of expensive parts and weeks of screwing around to get the car running again. Luckily, the only outside damage to the perfect paint job was burn marks on the grates in the engine lid. They got pretty toasted and had to be replaced. The car ran much better afterwards and an annoying habit of running rough when wet went away magically.

The cause of the fire was obvious. A high pressure fuel line had burst spewing fuel all over the engine, then a short in an ignition wire started the fire. The car was worth saving and my quick action minimized the damage to something I could fix myself.

Manda racing likes this.
  14. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Then I can tell you for a fact that AAA doesn't offer it. I ask my AAA agent about it and he stared at me and said, "What's that?" I'm with Grundy now.

15. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Do yourself a big favor and get this crystal clear regarding your ACV...AAA was not even considered once I found out how they calculate replacement cost..I have Grundy...they understand these type of vehicles..

16. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    f355spider and DefunctNeurons like this.
  17. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Yes. I actually like my car. Flaws and all. If something happens to it I will rebuild it.