Jack Bag/Emerg. Triangle Plastic Retainer Cups | FerrariChat

Jack Bag/Emerg. Triangle Plastic Retainer Cups

Discussion in '206/246' started by SWSDino, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SWSDino

SWSDino Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Steve
    To the best of my knowledge these black plastic cups that secure the bottom of the jack bag and emergency triangle case are not available and most are in poor condition or missing. I am about to commission a mold to vacuum form these parts in black pebble grain ABS. They will be a few thousands thicker for better strength. Mold will be patterned from a pair of perfect OEM cups I have on loan. Please advise if there is a current source for these parts, and if not, is there interest should I produce 50 to 100 pairs. Thanks

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    A photo would help as I am struggling to understand the part you are talking about!

3. SWSDino

SWSDino Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OK. They were apparently used on the "M" and early "E" series. They were riveted to the underbody panel directly below where the jack bag and emergency triangle case rest so as to keep the bottom of the bag/case from moving. Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Here is the location for the jack support cup Tony. It sits in the front clip ahead of the spare wheel well on the o/s of the car. The support for the warning triangle sits ahead of the spare wheel well on the other side of the car. There are rubber straps on the wheel well fibre glass above these supports that were used to hold the jack and warning triangle in place. They were not fitted to later E series cars which got the leather strap in the trunk instead to hold these items in place.

Steve, I've never seen a source for these items so it is probably worth having extras made as you will doubtless find buyers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Iain / Steve for the photos, I get it now. Thought you was referring to something else.

Yes, agree with Iain, never seen these parts for sale.

Best

Tony

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I think mine are still intact, but I’d be interested in a set.

7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Don't recall if my M-series has (both of) these, but are each in the same location regardless of whether the car is LHD or RHD?

8. SWSDino

SWSDino Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Steve
    RonG, normal fitment for LHD puts the jack on the right side of the car and triangle on the left. I have access next week to a RHD Dino which I am helping to restore and will check to see if the fitment is the same. Regards, Steve

9. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    That is how the items are fitted on RHD cars.

sturrisi and synchro like this.
  10. SWSDino

SWSDino Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the conformation, Lain. I have a meeting scheduled this week with the molder to go over final numbers. Will report results on the forum. Steve

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Never saw them in my E series, USA version.
    Of course, a few things were missing.

Took me forever to figure out what the triangular one that fit in the trunk corners,
    and was on the floor of the car, was for.
    Made the LHS from the RHS. At least I think we did, as kinda losing track of how many items were remade :)

Regards, Alberto

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Skipp, thank you.

Very clever, yet I never knew.
    Ahhh, the joys of landing 'Dino apart', and / or missing all sorts of stuff and not even know about it.

Would 03724 carry them?

Regards, Alberto

14. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    03724 would have had them Alberto. I have these items on 03050 (Dec '71) and 04054 (May '72). I also had them on 03342 (Feb '72).

15. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    04124, does not have them, original owner.

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Glad to help Alberto. Hope you’re doing well.
    My car is 02986

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you all guys, now I know I have to look for them. :)

Regards, Alberto

18. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I don't recall seeing them on my E series GTS, nor on my E series GT. I am going to check again. I DO have two triangular pockets for the rear trunk however, rather than just 1 like most Dinos I have seen.

However, even if I had the pieces mentioned, I am not sure that I would leave either a safety triangle or the jack in the front locations mentioned as I would be afraid that they would fall of or knock around in the front of the car.

19. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    This is one of those things where you use these positions after arriving at a concours and make sure to store the items securely in the trunk or passenger cabin before leaving. You never know when one of those old straps might decide to break and allow those items to cause damage.

20. SWSDino

SWSDino Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Steve

Good point Ron. Trying to schedule a meeting with the molder next week to determine some final pricing and specifications. He has suggested using a slightly thicker material (approx. 0.035 in. thicker) which would make the cups more durable (originals I have only measure about 0.080 in. thick); this would be very helpful especially for the jack cup due to the weight of the jack). Items would still have a pebble grain finish on the outside similar to the originals. Steve

swift53 likes this.
  21. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Of course, the next question would be where to obtain the rubber retainer straps that attach to the spare tire tub if those too are missing from a Dino that used them.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What do the straps look like?

Regards, Alberto

23. SWSDino

SWSDino Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Alberto,
    Mine are in good shape so will post a photo when I return from the shop tomorrow (6-22). There are 3 straps in my 02654 (1971 early "E" but with an "M" body) located in the front boot, one for the jack, one for the emergency triangle, and one under the spare tire for the wheel chock. Unfortunately they are not just simple black rubber straps, as they are molded with attachment points for a wire "hindge" at one end and a wire "hook" at the other end. It will be more clear with a photo. Somewhere I have seen very similar straps; question now is whether I can remember where? Steve

24. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Original owner 04124, looking over my original delivery paperwork; I do not see any mention of a "Triangle". It was not included in the checked off items? Must be only earlier cars?

25. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain