Speed Sensor update | FerrariChat

Speed Sensor update

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rich in Panama City, Apr 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    Adrian and Rich would like to continuing testing of Adrian's new board for the Type 2 Speed Sensor (1980-1999, Veglia #68 0517, Ferrari #116987; see:Veglia Borletti Speedo Sensors 68 1005, 68 1041, 68 0517) and read the recent Fchat speed sensor discussions.
    Please contact the appropriate person (Adrian in Germany/Europe and Rich in Florida/US) if you have a suspect sensor and would like to participate in this testing phase. We will respond with instructions to remove and send us your broken sensor body for repair then send your sensor back with instructions to reinstall. Note that to R&R the speed sensor may require a slotted or deep 32mm or 1 1/4" socket, the slot or deep socket allows removal without damage to the wire and connector and the speed sensor is easily accessed from under the transmission. We appreciate funds to cover shipping costs. Please be patient, since this testing phase is a volunteer effort to help our fellow Fchatters and to keep our Ferraris on the road. Your obligation will be to install, drive your cars with an eye on your speedometers and report your experiences, failures, successes, recommendations and comments. We are also testing Adrian's new boards with newly-made brass sensor bodies. This is an interim effort to get enough testing that we feel confident about the reliability and accuracy of Adrian's board; and the viability of this owner-installed approach across several owners so we can decide if we should keep up production, outsource production, or publish all the documentation for a 3rd party to continue this effort. We really appreciate your participation and comments. Rich, and for Adrian

2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I bought Adrian's replacement circuit board a few months ago, but have not yet installed, so it's still unclear if my speedo is non-functional because of a bad sender or the board. At any rate, it's crunch time on all the sorting, so I'm more than happy to pull the sender if this chip doesn't solve things right away.

3. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    #3 Rich in Panama City, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Adrian sent 5 updated boards for installing in failed speed sensors. So if you have a failed speed sensor and would like to participate in testing please pm me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. PaulWM

PaulWM Rookie

Feb 7, 2016
    I just got on board and saw this thread. Have recently purchased a car with intermittent but extremely regular Speedo Issues. (Runs 15 mins, Stops 10 mins, Starts and runs fine. Repeats everytime I drive the car). Rich, are you still looking for volunteers on your Speedo Sensor?

5. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    Paul: can you send me an email or a PM?

6. jcag

jcag Rookie

Dec 5, 2012
    Santa Clara CA
    Full Name:
    John Guinasso
    I am about to attempt to fix my sending unit in my 328. I'll replace or rewind every component in it if I have too.

Now comes the question: how do I get it off the transmission without pulling the engine? Will a 1-1/4" long throat socket work? Fingers are crossed.

John

PS I hope this 'ask' is positioned in the group correctly. Planning on posting all pictures and text when done.

7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    You don't need to pull the engine, or even drain the oil. You need a long socket so the pig tail can fit inside when you use it - it's a 32mm, I think (can't remember), not sure if 1-1/4" is the same.

Adrian, I gave you my old one to fiddle with some time back. If you want to put the new board in it and send it back to me, I'll test it for you. I've been using a loaner all this time, so the rest of the system works fine.

Patrick

8. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, but are these available?

9. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    There did not seem to be a real demand so it was never put into production, unfortunately. Rich might have some sensor replacements left though.

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am surprised there was no demand given the unreliability of the speed senders.

I need to replace my speed sender.

11. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Just had a look at ebay and new Speedo Type 2 sensors are sold at €580 (!), so i guess there must be a marked to refurbish existing ones with new boards. Not sure why there is no demand, maybe the conversion is too difficult for a car workshop?

12. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Adrian,

Are you still building the Speedo boards?

13. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Yes, i do.

14. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    GREAT! How do I purchase one?

Aaron

15. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    From the previous thread(s) discussing the speedo boards, I thought there was a list of interested parties... including me! I’m ready to buy one now, need to be able to drive the odometer in kilometers.

16. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    What info do you require from me so I order the correct boards for the Speedos I have?

17. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    A board for the speedo sensor or the speedo itself?

18. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Speedos themselves.

I have severa different ones.

19. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    The type number on the top of the dialface ("61-...") would be perfect for the identification.

20. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    I have two speedo sensor boards left. Five were supplied to me by Adrian in 2014 for fellow DIY Fchaters in need that also have the capability to remove, disassemble, install the new board, etc. Adrian’s idea was to supply the boards for free but request feedback in return - for a production run. So far I have given out 3 boards but I have not received any feedback.

alhbln likes this.
  21. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I'd be happy to provide feedback. I would like to know the suggested procedure for disassembly of the original (with photo or video please).

22. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  23. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Like '61.7339*' for example?

That # is on a paper sticker on the body of a 85MPH, I have. I am assuming USA, Speedo.

Did Canada and perhaps Mexico ALSO get the 85 MPH Speedos? Anyone know?

* - Or it MAY BE ... 733g?' Hard to tell for sure.

24. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    That is a US speedo from the end of the seventies (308 GTS/GTB most probably), Type 1. I still have replacement boards for this type available.

25. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Alhbin,

Just an FYI. My 1981 GTSi NA version came with that speedo.

Ill post all the numbers off the Speedos I have by Thursday as I head-out of country on Friday.